• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My very first negligent discharge

Was clearing a Glock 26 in the garage and got moving too fast for my own good. Racked slide to clear gun a split second before dropping mag. Pulled trigger expecting a click and got a bang.

Gun in safe direction but my left index finger was close to muzzle and got a little bruised and powder burned. Very lucky that was all.

And my ears are not happy.

Go slow and be careful!
"eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Bet you won't do that again.

I became hyper vigilant after one close call, rack 3 times, view port. view mag, etc. I also avoid admin handling if not needed. There's also no rush, lol. There's no prize for clearing a gun quickly. 🤣

I give you props for being brave enough to admit you f***ed up. Most people won't even when they know they did.

Um. OP said it himself. I think he'd know before anyone else would.
He used the word he was expected to use. He wasn't negligent. For starters he did no harm. He did everything right. Primarily by keeping the gun in a safe direction when he pressed the trigger. .He accidentally missed a round. Not for lack of trying. There's a reason why we clear a gun and still point it in a safe direction when we press the trigger.

And yes. Some car collisions are due to negligence. But when it comes to.cars we default to the word accident. When it comes to icky guns we default to the word negligent.

Lots of good advice here on safety. It’s always good to refresh, can’t ever be too careful. Be safe out there.

He used the word he was expected to use. He wasn't negligent. For starters he did no harm. He did everything right. Primarily by keeping the gun in a safe direction when he pressed the trigger. .He accidentally missed a round. Not for lack of trying. There's a reason why we clear a gun and still point it in a safe direction when we press the trigger.

It's semantics, but to the extent that those are important, I don't think he'd agree that "he did everything right." I wouldn't agree, either.

He followed the rules and spared himself from injury, but he still let a round off without intending to. I've done that before too, twice a long time ago, and both times it was definitely a mistake, by me. An "accident" is uncontrollable. Handling a firearm properly is controllable.

I think it's very proper that the OP is being critical of himself. My hat's off to him. But this wasn't a cosmic confluence of random events: it was an error. It's fine to call it that.

I was at a friend's about 2 months ago, whose wife pulled a shotgun out of their safe to show me. Before I knew it,she pulled the trigger, then cylcled the pump, and a shell came out. It had previously been fired, but she must have racked the pump enough to cock it but not eject the fired shell. ???

Incidentally, the gun was pointed in a safe direction. I was a little shocked, but I managed to make a joke about a room renovation.

I can't imagine what it was like for my uncles (or anyone in combat) being in a fox hole during WW2.
Having all that shooting going on feet from you.
I took my headset off at a M1 vintage match during slow fire to see what it's like...no Fn thanks .
How does anyone come back from war with any ability to hear?

Only family member that came back from the war with permanent hearing damage was a diesel mechanic on a submarine.
From the stories I heard, he lived mostly in the engine room.
He couldn't hear a thing post war.

Nope. Damage is done at the exact time of the noise. Now - you just have to give it time and hope there's no hearing loss or permanent tinnitus.

Not true!

I've seen John Wick where the bullets are flying within inches and no ONE, not a single person is wearing earplugs.

The movies tells me you don't know what you're talking about! ;)

I came very close about 12 years ago, same thing getting ready to clean my carry gun. Had to pull the trigger to take it down and just caught myself at the last second. From then on I became OCD, I might check for an empty chamber 10 times before I take anything down, and stick my finger in the ejection port. Almost saw an AD at Sig last weekend. The RO was consistently saying "If you are finished, unload, show clear, hammer down" But that fast. Guy with an AR heard "hammer down" before he had even had a chance to reholster his magazine. The guy literally went into autopilot with his muzzle pointing way to high, put mag in, dropped the bolt and the RO basically grabbed his trigger finger as he was about to send one out.

Oof.

Glad you're ok man. Props for having the balls to admit it, most guys will just hang a picture over the hole in the wall and try to forget it.

Ive never ND'd, i came close once, carelessly messing with my ccw gun when i was in my early 20s, i was riding in the car coming home from a gun store with my friends and was stupidly f***ing with my G23, took the mag out and thought i had taken the round out of the chamber, went to break down the gun and thought wisely and instinctively chamber checked and it was hot... whew... i had the thing pointed right at the inside of my leg. Woulda sucked.

I dont think there's really any such thing as an AD, there is always some level of negligence involved.

It's semantics, but to the extent that those are important, I don't think he'd agree that "he did everything right." I wouldn't agree, either.

He followed the rules and spared himself from injury, but he still let a round off without intending to. I've done that before too, twice a long time ago, and both times it was definitely a mistake, by me. An "accident" is uncontrollable. Handling a firearm properly is controllable.

I think it's very proper that the OP is being critical of himself. My hat's off to him. But this wasn't a cosmic confluence of random events: it was an error. It's fine to call it that.
It's not semantics. Negligence implies wrong doing and liability. He wemt through all of the steps. He made a mistake. Mistakes happen. I never said he should fluff it off. He learned to be even more careful next time. But he was acting like any reasonable person would act. He had a multi tiered system to insure safety. In this case even though he missed the live round the fact that he also pointed the gun in a safe direction prevented him from doing harm. Yes he made a mistake but he also proved that he had a system to prevent a disaster. I found the following paragraph in a long article about negligence. "After all, no one is perfect, and even reasonable people make mistakes and do absent-minded things. Reasonable people have off days where they misplace their car keys and burn their toast. But reasonable people never get behind the wheel and drive drunk, because they know they could injure or kill someone."

Shit happens. I did the same in my basement but with an ak47. Lesson learned. Don't do it again
A Bosnian guy I work with had a friend in the old country that accidentally killed his wife that way. Was about to clean his AK, dropped the mag, didnt clear the chamber. Round killed his wife in the other room.

Do any of you know if there’s anything that can be done by doc or ER to mitigate any hearing damage? Local ER is not that great and I don’t feel like waiting 6 hours for nothing.
It went away eventually in my case at least. No ND, but I was taking a pistol course indoors. Beginning of the course, instructor was demonstrating a drill. (no rounds had been fired yet at this point by anyone) I was having a hard time hearing her so I had slid one side of my ear pro up off of my left ear (side facing her) on to the side of my head. She demonstrates again but this time let off a round. I was prob no more than 3 or 4 feet away. Jumped out of my skin and ear was ringing for a good while but it eventually faded away.

Was clearing a Glock 26 in the garage and got moving too fast for my own good. Racked slide to clear gun a split second before dropping mag. Pulled trigger expecting a click and got a bang.

Gun in safe direction but my left index finger was close to muzzle and got a little bruised and powder burned. Very lucky that was all.

And my ears are not happy.

Go slow and be careful!
Kudos for having the courage to post this because we all need reminders and I'm very glad it wasn't worse!

Why do people dry fire firearms? I've never understood the point of that. I grew up hunting a lot and was always told to never dry fire a gun.

Because, done in a disciplined way, it's useful training. Moreso with training aids like a Mantis.

well, not intentionally...

6fec09369369ae13854c35af523d71e2.jpg
to

Wouldn't actual shooting be better to make you better at shooting?
Lol dry fire practice mixed in helps a lot... if you think it doesn't you obviously haven't done it enough. I had a friend of mine who was working his ass off for like 6 months and only had about 30 minutes a week to play with guns... he was dry firing several times a week at home during those intervals.... and then when I finally got to go shooting with him his skills had increased precipitously. I always knew it helped but it was interesting to see the comparison it was literally like night and day difference. He was just about calling shots with his Glocks instead of chasing around common errors.

I didn’t know this til seeing Rob’s post. My kid had hearing loss but luckily was just temporary.
I was going about my business one day and my ear suddenly felt like it was blocked or like it had water in it. Seemed to get a little better over the next few days so I waited. By the time I went in to a Dr it was too late for a steroid. Basically that ear doesn't work anymore.

I was going about my business one day and my ear suddenly felt like it was blocked or like it had water in it. Seemed to get a little better over the next few days so I waited. By the time I went in to a Dr it was too late for a steroid. Basically that ear doesn't work anymore.
WTF? Any explanation from the dr?

Back
Top Bottom