• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My very first negligent discharge

I rack the slide no less than 3 time on every gun I pick up and want to be empty. Even if I'm the one who emptied it and put it down a minute ago. Muscle memory is a mitigating factor to fatigue and distraction.
If you've ever watched Hickok45, he is constantly clearing any gun he's handling, racking the slide and dry firing it at the berm.

Follow up question!

Finger was close to muzzel and I got what I thought were some powder burns. Now I’m wondering if it could be small pieces of lead or copper. Look at little black spots in pic. IMG_1674.jpeg

Follow up question!

Finger was close to muzzel and I got what I thought were some powder burns. Now I’m wondering if it could be small pieces of lead or copper. Look at little black spots in pic. View attachment 804442
As long as it's not actively infected, just keep it clean. Your body will push any debris to the surface. Scrubbing your hand with a brush and soap and water will help exfoliate the skin and speed up the process.

I had a 1/8th x 3/16 piece of brass stuck deep in my right cheek from an out of battery in an Uzi smg. (I'm left handed so my face was right at the ejection port) It was there for about a year without any problems. Doc said leave it alone it will come out on its own, just watch for any infection. He was right, it finally surfaced where I could pull it out with tweezers. Always wear rated eye protection.....that piece went in just under where my safety glasses met my cheek. The lens was peppered and I'd probably have lost an eye if not for the safety glasses.

Shit happens. I did the same in my basement but with an ak47. Lesson learned. Don't do it again
I had the same happen with my Savage Axis bolt-action .223. The 53 grain Hornady polymer-tipped bullet slammed into a tree about 30 yards away. Wife and I were shaken but nobody got hurt. Thankfully!

As long as it's not actively infected, just keep it clean. Your body will push any debris to the surface. Scrubbing your hand with a brush and soap and water will help exfoliate the skin and speed up the process.

I had a 1/8th x 3/16 piece of brass stuck deep in my right cheek from an out of battery in an Uzi smg. (I'm left handed so my face was right at the ejection port) It was there for about a year without any problems. Doc said leave it alone it will come out on its own, just watch for any infection. He was right, it finally surfaced where I could pull it out with tweezers. Always wear rated eye protection.....that piece went in just under where my safety glasses met my cheek. The lens was peppered and I'd probably have lost an eye if not for the safety glasses.
I had to he same thing when I was a kid, was hammering starter blanks on concrete and in the middle of all that fun a piece brass went into my middle finger, after a few months it broke back out and my mom thought it was a bug I was nine at the time and did not tell her what it was. I might tell her soon, she's 80 years old.

Back
Top Bottom