My very first negligent discharge

Was clearing a Glock 26 in the garage and got moving too fast for my own good. Racked slide to clear gun a split second before dropping mag. Pulled trigger expecting a click and got a bang.

Gun in safe direction but my left index finger was close to muzzle and got a little bruised and powder burned. Very lucky that was all.

And my ears are not happy.

Go slow and be careful!
When the POS mag doesnt drop fast enough, means you are too tactical for Glock. Consider moving to HK.

Think about it, how else will you drop the mag while swining the gun so the mag can hit a bad guy 10 feet away while you do a tactical reload?

Unacceptable.

Even after you drop the mag and clear.. obviously look at the chamber, but also look down the mag Well sometimes they fall out in there, too..
Not so much a safety concern youll just look like an idiot

There are two (2) types of gun owners. Ones that have had a scary close call, and ones that have not had a scary close call YET. ;)

Glad you are basically OK.
True. My close call was after a match when a shooter handed me an HK91 and suggested I try out his "really great trigger". I didn't want to appear like one of those safety a**h***s you see on the range who like to play the game of "I am safer than you", so rather than ask him to open the action I kept clear of the trigger guard, pointed the gun against a berm a few feet and yanked the changing handle. The gun owner tripped all over himself apologizing, but my only comment was "I see you left a live round in the chamber to test me. Guess I passed".

Do any of you know if there’s anything that can be done by doc or ER to mitigate any hearing damage? Local ER is not that great and I don’t feel like waiting 6 hours for nothing.
Ringing should slowly dissipate. There is no cure for chronic tinnitus other than death. Had it since Vietnam. it N E V E R stops! Hearing Aids help me to understand speech, but nothing can repair nerve damage.

Do any of you know if there’s anything that can be done by doc or ER to mitigate any hearing damage? Local ER is not that great and I don’t feel like waiting 6 hours for nothing.
There is nothing you can do. Its a good reminder for everyone that NDs can happen if you're not 100%, shooting indoors without earpro or adrenaline will hurt your ears.

There is nothing you can do. Its a good reminder for everyone that NDs can happen if you're not 100%, shooting indoors without earpro or adrenaline will hurt your ears.
I'm surprised at how adrenaline will help protect your hearing. I recently had to rapidly dispatch a rabid skunk that I came upon in my barn. No time to run back to the house for earpro. Just had time to draw and shoot before it ran to someplace that would be much harder to get to (you don't want to be fishing around bails of hay looking for a psychotic skunk). I didn't even notice any particular hearing impairment afterwards, not even any ringing, even though the round was fired in a partially enclosed stall with a tin roof. I actually was a little disappointed, since I've always claimed that I need a suppressor for my home defense gun to protect my hearing in case I need to fire it indoors. It appears that the adrenal rush you get in that kind of situation will keep you from deafening yourself.

Depending on how loud the bang was you could have torn or ruptured an eardrum. Do you have sharp pain or any leakage from the ear that hurts? If so head to your doctor. Not much they can do but it’s good to get checked out.

I'm surprised at how adrenaline will help protect your hearing. I recently had to rapidly dispatch a rabid skunk that I came upon in my barn. No time to run back to the house for earpro. Just had time to draw and shoot before it ran to someplace that would be much harder to get to (you don't want to be fishing around bails of hay looking for a psychotic skunk). I didn't even notice any particular hearing impairment afterwards, not even any ringing, even though the round was fired in a partially enclosed stall with a tin roof. I actually was a little disappointed, since I've always claimed that I need a suppressor for my home defense gun to protect my hearing in case I need to fire it indoors. It appears that the adrenal rush you get in that kind of situation will keep you from deafening yourself.
That's a definite maybe

Thanks for the vulnerability and honesty. Even when we do our best, we're still human. I had a ND at the range a while back but fortunately pointed downrange (I thought a stuck 22 was empty when it was live, pulled trigger to disassemble, and muzzle blast grazed my finger). I'm more anal than anything now. Also, glad you werent hurt.

If things sound muffled, it could be a ruptured ear drum. But will likely heal itself quickly and your hearing should return to approximately what it was before.

Don’t worry too much about a one-off case of a shot without hearing protection. Yes, hearing damage is cumulative, but a single gunshot causes damage equivalent to about a 40 hour work week around loud equipment. Not the end of the world; just don’t make a habit out of it.

Glad to hear you’re otherwise okay. That’s what all the different safety rules are for. They pretty much layer and keep things safe if one safety rule is missed etc.

There are two (2) types of gun owners. Ones that have had a scary close call, and ones that have not had a scary close call YET. ;)

Glad you are basically OK.
Could be worse. My first ND was out of an M60.

I had a polar opposite close call.

Manning the M240B on a gun truck for a patrol and our FSO asked to do a test fire into the river …. Click….

I had pulled the bolt back when loading, but apparently not quite far enough back. It had locked in a rear position, but just not where it needed to be for the sear to release it.

Fortunately, the only ADs I’ve had have been during slow fire off-hand stages at matches, trying to set the trigger on the wall as I wait for my wobble to cross the bullseye. … and completely breaking the trigger by accident off in an outer ring.

Last edited:
Op. Accidents happen. I would consider that an AD. I know others here will disagree. But i have to womder why we as gun owners love to spew forth the anti gun bullshit. If you had crashed your car it would've been an accident. No?

Eta. Glad you're ok

Glad to hear your ok Badger.
Your hearing should be fine on a one off. Mines already gone so if earpro slips off I barely notice.
It's the tinnitus that really sucks.

Years ago I was at a 3 day live range shooting event.

A week later I pulled my Glock out of my range bag (had removed the mag after the event I was exhausted and spent). Decided to clean it. Racked the slide to confirm it’s clear. Out comes a round…

Check, check, double check and check again.

And then once more.

Op. Accidents happen. I would consider that an AD. I know others here will disagree. But i have to womder why we as gun owners love to spew forth the anti gun bullshit. If you had crashed your car it would've been an accident. No?

Eta. Glad you're ok

Very good point! I do think there are negligent discharges, but not all (or most?) of them are.

Op. Accidents happen. I would consider that an AD. I know others here will disagree. But i have to womder why we as gun owners love to spew forth the anti gun bullshit.

Um. OP said it himself. I think he'd know before anyone else would.

If you had crashed your car it would've been an accident. No?

Not necessarily. I've crashed my car before, and it was definitely me being negligent. Others have crashed into me, and that's been an accident.

Eta. Glad you're ok

Absolutely agree.

Back
Top Bottom