• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

**UPDATED - gun replaced**. My Dan Wesson 357 is toast.

I wonder how many bad barrels are out there? It would seem that an upstanding company that discovered a problem in a certain batch or run would try to do some sort of recall. Isn’t that the right thing to do if you value your reputation?

I wonder how many bad barrels are out there? It would seem that an upstanding company that discovered a problem in a certain batch or run would try to do some sort of recall. Isn’t that the right thing to do if you value your reputation?
You'd think! 🤷‍♂️

Email to Bob and Keith have been sent! Though I got an auto reply from Keith saying he's out of the office until 10/4....Maybe he meant 11/4...

Bob is good at responding so I suspect a response first thing Monday morning if I had to guess. Unless he wants to talk to Keith first before responding.

Sorry to hear of your pistol's demise Andrew. Best of luck on the outcome.
~Enbloc

Overcharge should have blown the cylinder not the barrel

This^
That looks more like a squib was stuck in the barrel just past the forcing cone.

I'm a former 715 owner (Monson made), I bought used in the mid 80's, then added barrels as I went along.
One of them had an incorrectly cut forcing cone which wasn't concentric with the bore.
I took it with me to a Springfield show (back when Springfield was THE show) and met up with an FFL who had a table full of DW goodies. I don't know why I remember his name, but it was Lyman T. Moores, a retired DW factory worker.
He looked at it and agreed it was NFG, and was appalled and ashamed that it even got out of the factory.
He swapped the barrel for me right there on the spot, no charge.
I think he took it back to the factory and stuck it in someones face.
Also, on his table, he had a plugged-up DW barrel, sawed down the middle, almost identical to this one below, so this isn't a one time occurrence.
Their old barrels could handle some abuse.
View attachment 403384

Last edited:
“Andrew, This seems to be the new normal on barrel wear, I have been told it’s because of the recycling of the steel. I don’t know, I’ve seen barrels with thousands of rounds through them with no wear and then some with hundreds of rounds with wear. Heavy hunting Magnum loads and hand loads will cause erosion but I have seen this with target loads also.

@dhuze now you can really say I broke a gun officially!! [rofl]
It definitely seems like my barrel wasn’t heat treated either. Any metallurgists here??

Lets fix that.
I believe the process is called embrittlement? or thats what happens with along with erosion. I only read the first few posts, so if someone mentioned it and beat me to it, then thats on me.

Not to derail, but outer limits pro shop in holbrook had 2 d.w.'s on consignment. Might still be there.

My condolences for your hand cannon.

Been following and drooling over your DW posts! Sorry to hear about your loss.
On a complete separate topic. I recently picked up a pm9 and pm10, dated 2004 and 2005. Have you ever had any issues with your 1911?Anything that I need to keep an eye on? How has the coating on your pm9 held up over the years that you had done a while back? Worth the investment?
Thank you in advance for any advice.

This^
That looks more like a squib was stuck in the barrel just past the forcing cone.

I'm a former 715 owner (Monson made), I bought used in the mid 80's, then added barrels as I went along.
One of them had an incorrectly cut forcing cone which wasn't concentric with the bore.
I took it with me to a Springfield show (back when Springfield was THE show) and met up with an FFL who had a table full of DW goodies. I don't know why I remember his name, but it was Lyman T. Moores, a retired DW factory worker.
He looked at it and agreed it was NFG, and was appalled and ashamed that it even got out of the factory.
He swapped the barrel for me right there on the spot, no charge.
I think he took it back to the factory and stuck it in someones face.
Also, on his table, he had a plugged-up DW barrel, sawed down the middle, almost identical to this one below, so this isn't a one time occurrence.
Definitely not a squib. I saw my hits on the target. And every squib photo I’ve ever seen doesn’t look like my barrel.

Exactly!!! Okay so I’m not being too demanding then. Glad to have some confirmation from others.

I’ve literally given them thousands of dollars in work over the years so I really hope they don’t tell me to pound sand

I think fir
You can make a lamp out of it now. Maybe display it next to my blown BFR barrel.

Modern art.

Well, the good news is that it probably doesn't need a trigger lock anymore.

In this case the firearm hasn't earned its "Metal of Honor" but it would be a posthumous award.

I think they should make it right.

Been following and drooling over your DW posts! Sorry to hear about your loss.
On a complete separate topic. I recently picked up a pm9 and pm10, dated 2004 and 2005. Have you ever had any issues with your 1911?Anything that I need to keep an eye on? How has the coating on your pm9 held up over the years that you had done a while back? Worth the investment?
Thank you in advance for any advice.
No issues with their 1911s yet. The hard chrome has held up very well to holster wear.

I would like to think that DW will see 4 pages of bad press and decide to make it right. Glad you didn't get hurt.

Wow, that sucks. You’re taking the right approach. Be polite and factually. They told you to keep shooting and it would be fine. So hold them to it.

That's a terrible loss for sure... the flag out front will be at half mast. Glad it wasn't a more catastrophic failure and you weren't hurt. I'll be watching to see what DW comes back with since I bought a 10" for my Monson 44VH in January. I just havent had the opportunity to really shoot it yet. Maybe that's a good thing. I was going to try to scoop up some other length barrels to make my own sorta "Pistol Pac" but I may hold off on buying other barrels for now.

I think you've got a pretty good case made to them where they have to do something about it. Particularly the email that says "you should be good, keep shooting, let us know."

They told you to keep shooting and it would be fine. So hold them to it.
I think you've got a pretty good case made to them where they have to do something about it. Particularly the email that says "you should be good, keep shooting, let us know."
Yup I think so🤷🏻‍♂️
Some guys on the DW FB group think it was out of time and the bullets weren’t aligned with the bore. I don’t buy that as I should have got horrible accuracy and lead spitting. Neither of which were a problem. 1.5" groups at 100 yards when scoped.

If other people are getting similsr problems, I'd almost guess they forgot to heat treat a batch of barrels or something. It looks like the threads were the weak point of failure.

I hope they make it right.

I would like to think that DW will see 4 pages of bad press and decide to make it right. Glad you didn't get hurt.
If other people are getting similsr problems, I'd almost guess they forgot to heat treat a batch of barrels or something. It looks like the threads were the weak point of failure.

I hope they make it right.
All I need to do is post his email response from June on all forms of social media and I think that will force them to do the right thing.

I don’t need a new shroud just need new frame and barrel tube. That saves them $300ish. So now we’re talking like $800ish at stake for them. You want to ruin your reputation over $800??

Are you shooting it with a crappy barrel from the new Dan Wesson?

I have a Monson guns with Monson barrels so I don't worry. The new Dan Wesson is also having quality control issues with 1911's now.
Honestly, I don't know. I'm not the origonal owner and don't have the tool to check.

And they can argue all day long about me using reloads but it would’ve been very tough for me to overcharge that round using 2400 powder under a 158 gr JHP. I look at the cases before seating a bullet. I would’ve needed powder pretty much overflowing which would’ve made it impossible to seat the bullet

@andrew1220 DAMN! That sucks Andrews. I would not necessarily mention using reloads though just so you don't give them an out.

Back
Top Bottom