**UPDATED - gun replaced**. My Dan Wesson 357 is toast.

The only thing in the thread that I'm cringing a little at is posting the conversations with specific employees. I realize they're highly relevant, but you don't want to get anyone in trouble if you can help it. The attention that a thread like this gets could ramp up the likelihood of that happening.

do they want to replace a frame made by the original dw company which the current cz owned dw had no part in creating?

I don't think there's an argument that the frame was the problem here. Suppose you bought some factory ammo that blew up a gun. Would you expect the ammo manufacturer to supply a replacement box of ammo and call it a day? The barrel is the focus. Unless they're planning to shut down the DW brand, the question they need to answer is not "What do we want to do?" nor even "What do we have to do?", rather "What's best for business?" Now they could issue a payment instead, but it should be cheaper for them to issue a replacement gun.

(
I don't think there's an argument that the frame was the problem here. Suppose you bought some factory ammo that blew up a gun. Would you expect the ammo manufacturer to supply a replacement box of ammo and call it a day? The barrel is the focus. ...
^ This
).

do they want to replace a frame made by the original dw company which the current cz owned dw had no part in creating? the barrel is another story. ...
Does the barrel design require a material contribution to the strength
of the threaded shoulder at the throat by being screwed into a frame?
(An intact, full-strength frame).

If not, then if the problem was a defect in materials or workmanship of the barrel,
the potential issue includes the damage to the frame (etc).

After all, if the failure had maimed him,
who would automatically assume the revolver manufacturer
had no potential liability beyond replacing the barrel?
^ This is supposed to be a thought experiment - not a hysterical outburst.

Does the barrel design require a material contribution to the strength
of the threaded shoulder at the throat by being screwed into a frame?

I was wondering this too. It's a unique gun for sure, I just don't know if the frame is expected to provide critical support for the barrel at the threads. And are choke bore barrels common in revolvers?

Last edited:
has dan wesson said that? cause good business is an investigation into what happened and go from there. replace the barrel or not i would think they would want to know what caused the failure.

This is just my opinion, but what's best for business (notably including future sales) is to replace the gun and to investigate. But the level of investigation required to come to the conclusion of replacing the gun is much lower than what they might need to address any engineering problems they might have. If, ultimately, it looks like the root problem is just that Andrew is cursed, they might not need to change their operations, but that doesn't mean the move that's best for future sales is to leave him out in the cold.

Unfortunately, there's the rub - hardness alone is not the whole problem.

You might have high surface hardness, but less through the meat of the part. This would be good for wear, but might not hold up against shear. At the opposite end, a fully through-hardened piece of steel might become too brittle for some uses, and shatter under load. The wiki article on heat treating is just that - but if you're bored, it can help you start to see some of the complexity.

If you want to just get a ballpark, this is the cheapest set of hardness files I could find on Amazon in a quick search. For 70 bucks you could scratch everything you own for the lulz. Maybe @warwickben or @Boris has a set, and can be convinced to test your barrel*? You could go so far as to test one of your other barrels at the same time just to compare. Note that this method only tells you about the surface of your part...

*dinner and a movie first?
Thanks

I'm not sure I'm up-to-speed on the context here. Getting the barrel tested might be interesting, but is this just prep for what might end up being a difficult conversation, or have they already been given the first opportunity to own the problem (the catastrophic failure, not the erosion) and tried to weasel out of it? Weaseling out of the erosion issue on a gun that has a user-replaceable barrel seems a bit different from weaseling out a catastrophic failure. The best move for business is to replace the gun. I'd expect it to go the other way only if they were shutting down.

I’ve notified DW of the issue but am awaiting their response. Their gunsmith told me via email this morning that he’ll get back to me tomorrow. So I don’t know yet how they’re going to handle this. I’m assuming worst case scenario and that I’m on my own and they’re not going to help me.

The only thing in the thread that I'm cringing a little at is posting the conversations with specific employees. I realize they're highly relevant, but you don't want to get anyone in trouble if you can help it. The attention that a thread like this gets could ramp up the likelihood of that happening.
True. I did edit that post. Though they don’t work there anymore so I don’t know if they’d get in trouble or not?

This is just my opinion, but what's best for business (notably including future sales) is to replace the gun and to investigate. But the level of investigation required to come to the conclusion of replacing the gun is much lower than what they might need to address any engineering problems they might have. If, ultimately, it looks like the root problem is just that Andrew is cursed, they might not need to change their operations, but that doesn't mean the move that's best for future sales is to leave him out in the cold.

Yup. The issue is that I’m not alone as shown by Tim finding himself in almost the same situation as me. But I won’t go into anymore detail with what happened to him.

True. I did edit that post. Though they don’t work there anymore so I don’t know if they’d get in trouble or not?

I missed that they weren't still employees. All good.

As a former owner of a Monson 715 I wish you the best in getting it replaced, at least to the extent it can be replaced with a new/modern gun.

do they want to replace a frame made by the original dw company which the current cz owned dw had no part in creating? the barrel is another story. me, i would have spoken to dw first, maybe andrew did, and see what they'd do for me before i went public. we don't know exactly what happened and the court of public opinion has already spoken here. 149 posts ahead of me as i write this and some are screaming for a head already.

When you buy out another company and keep the name you typically assume the responsibility to warranty the former owners product.
If they told me sorry it wasn't their product that broke it was the former owners you can bet your ass I'd tell the whole world. With today's social media they need to be very careful. AND it WAS their product that destroyed the gun.

When you buy out another company and keep the name you typically assume the responsibility to warranty the former owners product.
If they told me sorry it wasn't their product that broke it was the former owners you can bet your ass I'd tell the whole world. With today's social media they need to be very careful. AND it WAS their product that destroyed the gun.
Nailed it. This would not end well for them otherwise.

WELL WELL WELL. It’s looking like DW might be doing the right thing. I just responded asking if “replace it” means the frame as well. We shall see.
9D6203C8-8660-41A0-9980-8B9E9F118C16.png

Yup definitely a relief. I would assume he’s replacing the gun too since he said it will take “some time to build.”

What do they mean by build? Are they handmaking you a replacement? That's fantastic. Hopefully, you get good news and they reply with an affirmative on the gun part too.

What do they mean by build? Are they handmaking you a replacement? That's fantastic. Hopefully, you get good news and they reply with an affirmative on the gun part too.
I'm guessing that since they don't make many of these revolvers each year, they probably don't have piles of them laying around like S&W or Ruger might have. So it's being made to order I guess??? Maybe I can ask for a custom serial number?[laugh] Kidding. Though DW used to do that back in the day (pre-CZ).

I'm guessing that since they don't make many of these revolvers each year, they probably don't have piles of them laying around like S&W or Ruger might have. So it's being made to order I guess??? Maybe I can ask for a custom serial number?[laugh] Kidding. Though DW used to do that back in the day (pre-CZ).

Do it... ask for 2020SUX as the serial number

Seriously. Worst that happens is they say no. Maybe phrase it as a half-joke: "hey, what's the chance the new SN can be 2020SUX, as a memento?"
Good idea lol. I'm thinking they'll say no since they probably have a numbering scheme that they don't want to mess with but we'll see.

I've been following this Andrew and I think the DW/CZ is stepping up to the plate for you and I think that's awesome.

I need to call them for my own Monson .357 as the prior owner lost the barrel nuts.

Back
Top Bottom