• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

**UPDATED - gun replaced**. My Dan Wesson 357 is toast.

I have wanted a DW revolver for a while. This is definitely making me rethink that.
They make good stuff except for their new barrels. All of my older 80s/90s barrels have 0 erosion. I think they need to revisit their source for metal in making the barrels. Or make sure they’re being heat treated.

Also, I should add, if you find enough people with the same issue you have a potential class-action suit too. The barrel can be sent to a lab for testing regarding heat-treating etc. Further, if lawyers find out anyone ultimately got hurt from a failed barrel with known QC issues then DW has to worry about criminal liability. Hopefully they will do the right thing especially if you “remind” them of all the potential negatives if they don’t. I am NOT a lawyer so take all this as friendly advice from a fellow NESer.

Ugh, that's brutal! Post the funeral arrangements and I'll be there.

Good luck with the resolution. I have a Monson 44VH that will NOT ever have a recently made new barrel.

Also, I should add, if you find enough people with the same issue you have a potential class-action suit too. The barrel can be sent to a lab for testing regarding heat-treating etc. Further, if lawyers find out anyone ultimately got hurt from a failed barrel with known QC issues then DW has to worry about criminal liability. Hopefully they will do the right thing especially if you “remind” them of all the potential negatives if they don’t. I am NOT a lawyer so take all this as friendly advice from a fellow NESer.
Solid advice. Thanks. I’m hoping it won’t get to that point but we will see. They should realize what’s at stake here and not be concerned about giving away a $1000 gun

Damn man, I just had my DW .44 apart the other night for a deep cleaning and inspection. I wanted to buy a 8" barrel and shroud, now I'm definitely hesitant.

The explanation about recycled steel is not satisfactory. Modern steel manufacturing is ridiculously good. Is DW buying pot metal billets from India or something?

That picture of the frame is heartbreaking. My 1980 Dan Wesson .357 is my favorite handgun to shoot, with either target or full-on magnum loads. I've been trying to find another of the same vintage for a while.

The explanation about recycled steel is not satisfactory. Modern steel manufacturing is ridiculously good. Is DW buying pot metal billets from India or something?
Certainly makes you wonder. It’s almost like upper management at Dan Wesson decided to cut costs and outsource metal from a cheaper supplier?

Damn man, I just had my DW .44 apart the other night for a deep cleaning and inspection. I wanted to buy a 8" barrel and shroud, now I'm definitely hesitant.
Well my 10 inch 44 magnum barrel purchased in February 2019 has 0 erosion - almost the same round count as 357 barrel too. This barrel was purchased directly from DW. The split 357 barrel was purchased from CZ-USA's online store. But I assume they're both made at DW so I don't think that matters.
DW 44 barrel.jpg

That picture of the frame is heartbreaking. My 1980 Dan Wesson .357 is my favorite handgun to shoot, with either target or full-on magnum loads. I've been trying to find another of the same vintage for a while.
It really is heartbreaking. When I saw the split barrel I'm like oh shit I'm out $100 or so for a new barrel tube then I saw the frame and I immediately had that sick to my stomach feeling. Sucks.
This was my favorite gun to shoot as well. Friggin 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards with this scoped. Absolute laser beam.

Was this the scoped hand cannon you were posting before?? JFC! [crying][crying][crying]

On the plus side, at least everyone here knows you're shooting your guns ;)

Sorry to see this Andrew but glad your ok. From what I’ve read DW is usually very good with their customer service so hopefully they can take care of this. I agree that should start off easy on them and give them a chance To make it right but If they give you a hard time than it’s time to crank it up a notch.

I am a serious revolver fan. Though I only have a little bit of experience with Dan Wessons, I have followed forums for S&W and Ruger revolvers for a long time. In that time, I have seen a lot of photos of bulged barrels, and quite a few of blown cylinders and frames. But I have never seen another failure that looked like your barrel. That does not look like anything caused by wear, or an overcharge, or a barrel obstruction. It definitely looks like some metalurgical failure, and I think you are being totally reasonable to expect them to make it right under warranty. The warranty for the barrel sold last year should cover all damage directly caused by the failure of that barrel.

Was this the scoped hand cannon you were posting before?? JFC! [crying][crying][crying]

On the plus side, at least everyone here knows you're shooting your guns ;)
No that was the bigger brother - DW 44 magnum lol. Yeah it comes with me to the range almost every weekend and I'll blow through 100 rounds.

They fixed it. I am shooting it again. The guys had a good laugh when I called them.

Holy shit that's impressive lol

I have seen a lot of photos of bulged barrels, and quite a few of blown cylinders and frames. But I have never seen another failure that looked like your barrel. That does not look like anything caused by wear, or an overcharge, or a barrel obstruction. It definitely looks like some metalurgical failure,
Yup agree 100%. Cylinder and shroud are unharmed. Usually an overcharged round will blow out the cylinder and the top strap if I recall.

Sorry to see this Andrew but glad your ok. From what I’ve read DW is usually very good with their customer service so hopefully they can take care of this. I agree that should start off easy on them and give them a chance To make it right but If they give you a hard time than it’s time to crank it up a notch.
Thanks. I sure hope they make it right. Seems like a no brainer if they stop and think what's at stake.

Metallurgy analysis can’t hurt especially if the results show the QC allowed a defective product sold.

One question: are you sure the barrel you purchased from the CZ store (I think that is where you said you bought it) was genuine DW or could DW claim CZ sold you an inferior item or even a knockoff? Then your case would be with CZ.

Anyone think its worth getting a metallurgy analysis prior to contacting DW?? It would be nice to have that in my pocket if it does show that the metal was crap and I can send that report to DW if they give me a hard time?
I sent them an email now just to see what it costs and what the turnaround time is for that service.

Metallurgy analysis can’t hurt especially if the results show the QC allowed a defective product sold.

One question: are you sure the barrel you purchased from the CZ store (I think that is where you said you bought it) was genuine DW or could DW claim CZ sold you an inferior item or even a knockoff? Then your case would be with CZ.
Good points. Yup genuine DW as that's all they sell - CZ owns DW.

If the metallurgic analysis takes months, I don't want to wait months to contact DW. Hmmm. If DW wants me to ship the entire gun and barrel back maybe that's when I'll say I'm sending it to a metallurgist first?

That sucks!!! I would wait to hear from DW before spending money on a metal allergy test that you won t recoup. Was the barrel new manufacture or old stock? also more than likely if DW is going to make it right they will want the UN altered barrel back. Keep us posted. I recommend taking a breath and waiting a day before you write the e mail and include pics of barrel and frame

Back
Top Bottom