• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Lowell

We looked in NH but with my fiancee working in Newton and me in Andover and daycare in chelmsford Lowell worked better for us.

besides it did give me an excuse to get a maverick 88

I will be that guy...with her job in Newton, if you move to Lowell today, you will never move to NH.

Her commute will s***, it might be worse from NH.

Start making plans to live in MA for a lot longer than a few more years.

I will be that guy...with her job in Newton, if you move to Lowell today, you will never move to NH.

Her commute will s***, it might be worse from NH.

Start making plans to live in MA for a lot longer than a few more years.
Really don't understand why anyone would move to a border town and not go the extra mile and a half or whatever to get over the border.

I've not done it but paying MA tax on wages and NH property taxes has to hurt the bottom line.
Whatever he saves he will spend it on increased insurance, worrying about the neighborhood, worrying about his kid playing outside and stressing out in general...he is already worried about his LTC and he doesnt even live there yet.

So move to Chelmsford, it's only a mile or two.
Or Westford
Or Billerica
Or any town around Lowell...

Take gun rights out of this. Do you really want your wife and kids walking around Lowell?

And "NH in the future" makes no sense. Lowell is like 5 miles from NH. Why move to that city, pay more for everything and be less safe when you can already do what you are planning on doing in a few years?

best poast in thread

Whatever he saves he will spend it on increased insurance, worrying about the neighborhood, worrying about his kid playing outside and stressing out in general...he is already worried about his LTC and he doesnt even live there yet.

Come on. Lowell is not Detroit or Lawrence. Insurance will increase, sure. But believe it or not, his children can play outside. Jesus, you make it seem like Chicago. And he has no need to worry about his LTC.

Come on. Lowell is not Detroit or Lawrence. Insurance will increase, sure. But believe it or not, his children can play outside. Jesus, you make it seem like Chicago. And he has no need to worry about his LTC.

It's not Chicago. I think we've been clear that's it's one of the worst possible options locally because it is.

As for a renewed unrestricted LTC, I wouldn't count on it.

Lol. Ok.

If the cost of living in Chelmsford isn’t almost double what Lowell is I’m sure OP would move there instead. I agree Lowell is a dump but it’s affordable for some.
We lived in Lowell for 7 years. At the time, it was one of the few area one could find a 3br home under $200K. But we got stuck paying $2700 a year for flood insurance because a little corner of the yard touched the flood plane.
We escaped south of the MDL in 2008. Now, on a single income we could not even afford to move back to Lowell. It is crazy up there now.
Lowell car insurance was nuts 10 years ago. Can't imagine what it is now.

[QUOTE="fishgutzy, post:It is crazy up there now.Lowell car insurance was nuts 10 years ago. Can't imagine what it is now.[/QUOTE]

What is everyone paying for car insurance ? I pay $160 /month for 2 cars with full coverage , is that high ? I always thought it was cheap, but idk cuz I’ve never lived anywhere else.

[QUOTE="fishgutzy, post:It is crazy up there now.Lowell car insurance was nuts 10 years ago. Can't imagine what it is now.

What is everyone paying for car insurance ? I pay $160 /month for 2 cars with full coverage , is that high ? I always thought it was cheap, but idk cuz I’ve never lived anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

That’s just about what I pay as well, for the same thing. I think it is high compared to what I hear coworkers pay.

What is everyone paying for car insurance ? I pay $160 /month for 2 cars with full coverage , is that high ? I always thought it was cheap, but idk cuz I’ve never lived anywhere else.
Meaningless question without mentioning the level of coverage and the vehicles. $160/mo for a 1993 Ford Taurus with basic limits is astronomically high. $160/mo for a 2018 Corvette with comp and collision is dirt cheap.

Meaningless question without mentioning the level of coverage and the vehicles. $160/mo for a 1993 Ford Taurus with basic limits is astronomically high. $160/mo for a 2018 Corvette with comp and collision is dirt cheap.

My fault, 2006 Subaru Impreza and 2011 GMC Terrain with full coverage.

Didnt want to start a new thread, but just how bad is the commute from nashua to quincy during 5-7 am ?

Feel free to pm me.

5-7am? You will often need more time than that. Google Maps will estimate duration for whichever time/date you select. If you leave at 5am it will still be over an hour. Leave at 7? good luck.

upload_2019-1-20_23-19-20.png

I grew up in Lowell, and work in Lowell. It’s a lot better than it used to be, but still there are reasons I don’t live in Lowell.

I bought a house in a neighboring town, and after insuring my house, my payments for house and vehicles was lower than paying for my vehicles alone in Lowell.

Renewing my firearms license in the neighboring town was a piece of cake, and actually a pleasant experience! When I got my firearms license in Lowell, I had an unrestricted from SC when I was in the Marines. The issuing officer said I could only get unrestricted if I was a business owner, or had been the victim of a crime. I told her I had been jumped a few times, to which she told me “That’s not violent enough”. Funny thing is, I saw more gunfire growing up in Lowell than I did in Iraq, where I was carrying an M4... hoping for gunfire

I will say, at least it’s not Lawrence!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom