Mag blocks in MA?

huskyal02_R1

NES Member
Hi all,

Is Mag blocks legal in MA? IF, I mean, IF, I have a high capacity post ban magazine in MA, can I make that magazine legal by installing the mag blocks to limit to 10 rounds?

I know we can buy ProMag AR mags 10 rounds that uses the same housing as the 30, except the manf put a mag block in it.

Thanks!

Alan

Pro mag sucks anyways.

But I agree with Rob. There is no legal precedent on this in MA, so no one truly knows.

Pro mag sucks anyways.

But I agree with Rob. There is no legal precedent on this in MA, so no one truly knows.

Expanding on the no legal precedent... You probably DO NOT want to be the one to establish precedent unless you have a lot of free time, money, and don't mind losing your LTC and toys for several years while a court case winds its' way thru the system.

I know a few gunshops that sell .22 AR-15s, with a hole drilled and a pin blocking the standard cap mags to 10 rounds.

As has been said, it's unclear what 'readily convertible' means, since some people on NES can make guns from beer cans, duct tape and vodka, with common household tools.

The problem I have with your sentence is that you at some point would HAVE A POST BAN HIGH CAP MAG IN MA, which is not ok. You would have to convert the mag in a free state and then bring it here. Or not convert it, and leave it in a free state. Or just move to a free state.

I'm not a lawyer but would vote "yes" as long IF the block is permanently installed. (The ones I researched needed to be epoxied onto the mag base ). Certainly IF you ever got hassled, the vagueness of the law and your clear attempt to meet it should go a long way in keeping you out of serious trouble.

That said, It might be more cost effective to sell the highcaps and buy 10 rounders.

I'm not a lawyer but would vote "yes" as long IF the block is permanently installed. (The ones I researched needed to be epoxied onto the mag base ). Certainly IF you ever got hassled, the vagueness of the law and your clear attempt to meet it should go a long way in keeping you out of serious trouble.

I disagree strongly. See Commonwealth v. Reyes. http://www.comm2a.org/55-projects/100-reyes

The law was completely vague, the SJC had a chance to clarify the issue, and he still got legally screwed.

That said, It might be more cost effective to sell the highcaps and buy 10 rounders.

Just get preban large capacity magazines or post-ban 10 rounders.

I disagree strongly. See Commonwealth v. Reyes. http://www.comm2a.org/55-projects/100-reyes

The law was completely vague, the SJC had a chance to clarify the issue, and he still got legally screwed.

Just get preban large capacity magazines or post-ban 10 rounders.

Am I missing something? This article doesn't talk about high capacity mag with a limiter. I am aware of the storage argument in MA.

I know a few gunshops that sell .22 AR-15s, with a hole drilled and a pin blocking the standard cap mags to 10 rounds.

As has been said, it's unclear what 'readily convertible' means, since some people on NES can make guns from beer cans, duct tape and vodka, with common household tools.

The problem I have with your sentence is that you at some point would HAVE A POST BAN HIGH CAP MAG IN MA, which is not ok. You would have to convert the mag in a free state and then bring it here. Or not convert it, and leave it in a free state. Or just move to a free state.

Understood the legal procedure. My question is really can a converted high cap post ban mag legal in MA and the answer is, NO ONE knows.

Am I missing something? This article doesn't talk about high capacity mag with a limiter. I am aware of the storage argument in MA.

Premise by weehooker: "Certainly IF you ever got hassled, the vagueness of the law and your clear attempt to meet it should go a long way in keeping you out of serious trouble."

Response by M1911: "Here is an established court case where the "vagueness of the law and clear attempt to meet it" did not keep the person out of trouble.

By extension, then, the vagueness of the law regarding blocking hi-caps, and your clear attempt to meet it by welding/pinning/glueing in a block, may not keep you out of trouble.

Premise by weehooker: "Certainly IF you ever got hassled, the vagueness of the law and your clear attempt to meet it should go a long way in keeping you out of serious trouble."

Response by M1911: "Here is an established court case where the "vagueness of the law and clear attempt to meet it" did not keep the person out of trouble.

By extension, then, the vagueness of the law regarding blocking hi-caps, and your clear attempt to meet it by welding/pinning/glueing in a block, may not keep you out of trouble.

OHHHH OK, GOT you!!

Well, s&w sold me a blocked 10 round mag for the full size m&p .22, 2 actually, and we know they are super paranoid. Not gospel law but.......

Premise by weehooker: "Certainly IF you ever got hassled, the vagueness of the law and your clear attempt to meet it should go a long way in keeping you out of serious trouble." Response by M1911: "Here is an established court case where the "vagueness of the law and clear attempt to meet it" did not keep the person out of trouble. By extension, then, the vagueness of the law regarding blocking hi-caps, and your clear attempt to meet it by welding/pinning/glueing in a block, may not keep you out of trouble.

Exactly. Thank you for explaining that.

Understood the legal procedure. My question is really can a converted high cap post ban mag legal in MA and the answer is, NO ONE knows.

Load 10 x .50 Beowulf rounds into an otherwise postban 30 round AR mag and suddenly it's legal. Where's my money? [rofl]

Thanks for playing.

WASN'T THAT FUN?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just know one thing. Knowing who the AG is in this state, the merry band of social justice warriors at our SJC, and the fact that any chief in any town would love to have a nice friendly cop story on the local news channel where they talk about the 'bad guy' with the 'arsenal' in their house, I just wouldn't want to be in that person's shoes. The entire deck of cards is stacked against you and you're just a 2 of clubs.

I just know one thing. Knowing who the AG is in this state, the merry band of social justice warriors at our SJC, and the fact that any chief in any town would love to have a nice friendly cop story on the local news channel where they talk about the 'bad guy' with the 'arsenal' in their house, I just wouldn't want to be in that person's shoes. The entire deck of cards is stacked against you and you're just a 2 of clubs.

It is not the AG who would be involved in such a prosecution; it would be the District Attorney. The DA is an elected position. They are not part of the AG's office nor do they report to the AG.

It is not the AG who would be involved in such a prosecution; it would be the District Attorney. The DA is an elected position. They are not part of the AG's office nor do they report to the AG.

Convict...appeal, conviction upheld, appeal higher, etc. Sooner or later the people I mentioned will be chomping at the bits to reign in gun rights even more. Some poor sap who thought he/she was doing the right thing, playing right into the hands of the evil empire that can't wait to flail alive a 'law abiding' gun owner. If a case like that made it to the state supreme court, which way would they rule? In favor of gun owners?

Convict...appeal, conviction upheld, appeal higher, etc. Sooner or later the people I mentioned will be chomping at the bits to reign in gun rights even more. Some poor sap who thought he/she was doing the right thing, playing right into the hands of the evil empire that can't wait to flail alive a 'law abiding' gun owner. If a case like that made it to the state supreme court, which way would they rule? In favor of gun owners?

Once again, it would be the DA involved in this sort of criminal case, not the AG.

Once again, it would be the DA involved in this sort of criminal case, not the AG.

Well, if it got to the SJC, the AG would likely file an amicus and it would NOT favor the gun owner. But you are correct that the DA would be pushing the case through the SJC as primary counsel.

If your worried about the legality of a mag block in Mass then maybe you shouldn't own a firearm in this state! There's so many grey areas, they want to discourage gun ownership. If your that paranoid then get pre bans..

Old thread revival - buddy ordered a P320 to his FFL in Littleton, came with three 17rounders and the FFL 3D printed some mag-blocks for them to limit them to 10 rounders. Did not epoxy the base however. Choose your own adventure indeed, interesting option here since he never possessed them in their illegal 17 round form before they were transferred to him via an FFL.

What I've always done on steel/stainless mags is drilled a 1/8" hole and put a black stainless steel (I use aluminum on aluminum mags) pop rivet in the mag body to block the follower and then put a tiny tack weld on the head of the rivet with my TIG welder. It requires carefully cutting the tack, disassembling the magazine, and cutting the rivet head off with a good sharp drill bit to remove. If that isn't good enough idk what is.

MA would argue you could easily disassemble 😂

What I've always done on steel/stainless mags is drilled a 1/8" hole and put a black stainless steel (I use aluminum on aluminum mags) pop rivet in the mag body to block the follower and then put a tiny tack weld on the head of the rivet with my TIG welder. It requires carefully cutting the tack, disassembling the magazine, and cutting the rivet head off with a good sharp drill bit to remove. If that isn't good enough idk what is.

Old thread revival - buddy ordered a P320 to his FFL in Littleton, came with three 17rounders and the FFL 3D printed some mag-blocks for them to limit them to 10 rounders. Did not epoxy the base however. Choose your own adventure indeed, interesting option here since he never possessed them in their illegal 17 round form before they were transferred to him via an FFL.
two ways to print/install blocks. One approach is the way the California company creates blocks which is a space filler that goes inside the magazine. They are removable per se so people epoxy the base.

The second approach is to create a block that is inclusive of the interior base plate. You remove the interior base plate that supports 17rds and insert the new baseplate/block combo. The magazine does not work without the block as it will fall apart. It is essentially the same as epoxying the first block to the interior baseplate.

The second approach gives you a magazine that is 10 rds and cannot be readily modified for larger. You would have to open it and either replace the interior base plate or cut it or melt it or...

Pop rivet works into AR mags. It does not look bad either. nice way to use 20rd shells and limit to 10rds. not good for all mags.

When you look at factory 10rders they come in a couple variations.
1) dimple stamped in the side of the mag. factory adds a dimple on both sides that restricts rounds. Easily drilled out
2) interior block like the printed one above. integral to the interior baseplate or integral to the follower. Hard to modify
3) cut metal short and use a LARGE external plastic baseplate. no way to ever modify.

Hi all,

Is Mag blocks legal in MA? IF, I mean, IF, I have a high capacity post ban magazine in MA, can I make that magazine legal by installing the mag blocks to limit to 10 rounds?

I know we can buy ProMag AR mags 10 rounds that uses the same housing as the 30, except the manf put a mag block in it.

Thanks!

Alan
My M&P 15-22 came with a blocked 30 round magazine.

Back
Top Bottom