MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

Let me second NH. Don't move to Mass. Those of us who are stuck here due to family and business are constantly looking for a way out. Save yourself - don't live in Massachusetts.

Ahhh right. I think I read UPS ground was ok to use but the package has to be sent with "care of so and so". Thanks for all the help everyone. Unfortunately I will always be from MA and miss it there. I still pay taxes to MA even though I am stationed in CA. I will consider NH in the future though! Thanks again.

Ahhh right. I think I read UPS ground was ok to use but the package has to be sent with "care of so and so".

Nope. Not with handguns.

Why can't you just bring it back with you? Are you flying or driving? If flying, triple check that it's unloaded, lock it in a case and take it with you in your luggage. Make very sure that you declare it at the ticket counter. (Do not say "I have a gun!!!" Say "I would like to declare a checked firearm in my baggage.") They check that it's unloaded, fill out a little form and it goes in the case with the handgun. Just be subtle.

If you're driving, it's even easier. Triple check that it's unloaded, lock it in a case separate from any ammo in the trunk and cruise on through. Try not to stop in any non-free states.

BTW, like everyone has said: Move to NH when you come back. It doesn't matter if you're only 50' over the border, it's a lot better than MA.

Nope. Not with handguns.

Why can't you just bring it back with you? Are you flying or driving? If flying, triple check that it's unloaded, lock it in a case and take it with you in your luggage. Make very sure that you declare it at the ticket counter. (Do not say "I have a gun!!!" Say "I would like to declare a checked firearm in my baggage.") They check that it's unloaded, fill out a little form and it goes in the case with the handgun. Just be subtle.

If you're driving, it's even easier. Triple check that it's unloaded, lock it in a case separate from any ammo in the trunk and cruise on through. Try not to stop in any non-free states.

BTW, like everyone has said: Move to NH when you come back. It doesn't matter if you're only 50' over the border, it's a lot better than MA.

To expand on what knfmn said: You can legally ship a handgun to yourself if you use a service other than USPS. However, services other than USPS require an FFL to ship handguns. You could ship your handgun without declaring that it is a handgun, except that Federal law says that you need to declare the shipment of a firearm to the shipper. This leaves the scenario where the only way you can legally ship a handgun is if your local FedEX or UPS break their policy on shipping handguns.

Ahhh right. I think I read UPS ground was ok to use but the package has to be sent with "care of so and so". Thanks for all the help everyone. Unfortunately I will always be from MA and miss it there. I still pay taxes to MA even though I am stationed in CA. I will consider NH in the future though! Thanks again.

Don't ship it. Just bring it with you.

RI Resident

I am a RI resident and have a RI unrestricted LTC and I have a MA Class A LTC. All my guns have been bought through FFL in RI. Can I bring a non compliant mass gun in mass and a large capacity mag in mass to shot

I am a RI resident and have a RI unrestricted LTC and I have a MA Class A LTC. All my guns have been bought through FFL in RI. Can I bring a non compliant mass gun in mass and a large capacity mag in mass to shot
Guns: if it's just a regular handgun that happens to not be MA "approved" you can bring that. AWB applies to everything, so if your AR has more than one "evil feature" it's illegal to bring it in.

Mags: 10 round limit applies to all post ban mags you bring. They either need to be pre ban or they need to be 10 round capacity or less.

To expand on what knfmn said: You can legally ship a handgun to yourself if you use a service other than USPS. However, services other than USPS require an FFL to ship handguns. You could ship your handgun without declaring that it is a handgun, except that Federal law says that you need to declare the shipment of a firearm to the shipper. This leaves the scenario where the only way you can legally ship a handgun is if your local FedEX or UPS break their policy on shipping handguns.

i thought you can ship TO an FFL, does it have to be FFL to FFL?

i just got my LTC in Mass and i have a LTC in NH, I've had my eyes on a kimber micro and was wondering how would i be able to obtain one while staying in the MA compliant guidelines

i just got my LTC in Mass and i have a LTC in NH, I've had my eyes on a kimber micro and was wondering how would i be able to obtain one while staying in the MA compliant guidelines

Are you a NH or MA resident (or both)? If you're not a NH resident according to the ATF guidelines, you can't get a handgun in NH, period. Doesn't matter if you have a NH P&R permit.

If you are only a MA resident, then you have a couple options:
1) Find an individual in MA selling a Kimber Micro and buy from them (transfer reported with eFA10).
2) Find one outside MA and have it transferred in by a dealer who is willing to ignore/work around the handgun compliance regs. They are out there, but posting their names on a public forum is a good way to get them shut down, so do some calling around.

So to purchase it in mass is "illegal" but to possess it is ok?

You can purchase it in MA if you want, but the dealer would be committing a crime by selling it to you, but that's quite literally not your problem.

Handgun compliance BS has zero effect on possession.

-Mike

So I am traveling to a gun-friendly state next month. If I want to buy a gun that's on the EOPS list but not the AG list, can I buy the gun in say, AZ and have them give me everything but the frame, have that shipped back home, and then be OK?

So I am traveling to a gun-friendly state next month. If I want to buy a gun that's on the EOPS list but not the AG list, can I buy the gun in say, AZ and have them give me everything but the frame, have that shipped back home, and then be OK?

Yes, but make sure the place you're buying from is willing to do that, and that the receiving FFL is willing to transfer the frame.

Yes, but make sure the place you're buying from is willing to do that, and that the receiving FFL is willing to transfer the frame.

If the gun is not on the AG's list, you would be conspiring to commit an act of consumer fraud against yourself.

Question... Is the following scenario ok?

Private transfer done at and through a local gun shop in MA. But it's a gun that's not yet on the approved roster. I do not know where the seller acquired the gun.

If the FFL is willing to perform the transfer, am I all good? Or should I just pass and keep looking?

Private transfer done at and through a local gun shop in MA. But it's a gun that's not yet on the approved roster. I do not know where the seller acquired the gun.

If the FFL is willing to perform the transfer, am I all good? Or should I just pass and keep looking?

The roster is completely irrelevant to you as a buyer.

"Private transfer through a local gun shop".....sorry but I'm going to split hairs here. If you're doing a private transfer, then you're doing an FA-10, and are not involving a gun store at all. If you're transferring to someone through shun store, then it's not a private transfer because you've involved an FFL in the process.

"Private transfer through a local gun shop".....sorry but I'm going to split hairs here. If you're doing a private transfer, then you're doing an FA-10, and are not involving a gun store at all. If you're transferring to someone through shun store, then it's not a private transfer because you've involved an FFL in the process.
The seller prefers to transfer through one of his local stores. Which is fine with me (he's paying the transfer fee), except that my understanding is that they aren't allowed to transfer a gun not on the list! So if they do, they're subject to a big fine.

That's why I was so confused. If this was just a private transfer, we'd be fine. Seems like the seller doesn't realize he could get his local FFL in a lot of trouble...

The seller prefers to transfer through one of his local stores. Which is fine with me (he's paying the transfer fee), except that my understanding is that they aren't allowed to transfer a gun not on the list! So if they do, they're subject to a big fine.

That's why I was so confused. If this was just a private transfer, we'd be fine. Seems like the seller doesn't realize he could get his local FFL in a lot of trouble...

If it is not on the EOPS List and the seller can't prove it was IN MA on/before 10/21/1998, it's not a fine but a felony for the dealer to do the transfer.

On the other hand, it is NOT a problem for the seller or buyer. It is strictly on the dealer and NOBODY is "making" the dealer get into trouble . . . it is up to them to know the laws that they are supposed to operate under.

Don't sweat it and do NOT mention who the dealer is!

Thanks, Len. I've mentioned no names or even specific guns for a reason!

It's a newer model variant of a listed gun, so definitely not pre-ban.

At this point, I just don't want to waste my time driving almost an hour to this FFL only to find out they won't do the transfer. Though I guess falling back to a standard private transfer via the E-FA 10 portal would be the worst case scenario.

Thanks again for the help, folks...

Back
Top Bottom