• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

At this point, I just don't want to waste my time driving almost an hour to this FFL only to find out they won't do the transfer. Though I guess falling back to a standard private transfer via the E-FA 10 portal would be the worst case scenario.

If the seller didn't do this homework (to make sure its OK) then you should neg them in itrader, I'll just leave it at that. (unless you were the one responsible for picking the FFL).

-Mike

If the seller didn't do this homework (to make sure its OK) then you should neg them in itrader, I'll just leave it at that. (unless you were the one responsible for picking the FFL).

-Mike
His choice. Local shop for him. I certainly wouldn't have picked a place an hour away from me.

This is actually the 2nd shop he's suggested, implying the first one told him they couldn't do it. He's stated these guys will. So we'll see soon enough...

If he wants to sell it that badly, he should just sell it to you via eFA-10 unless there's something else on his end (he's a non-resident for example) where he needs to use a MA FFL to transfer to you legally.

As the FAQ says, the regs are only a dealer concern. Provided this pistol isn't an "assault pistol" and has no large capacity post-ban mags, you are fine. I just wouldn't want to be the one calling around asking to transfer a pistol via FFL thats obviously not okay or trying to get away with it. I like the FFLs I use and wouldn't want to knowingly ask to put them in a bad spot. For example, the shop I was at last weekend fielded a trade-in from a customer. First thing after making sure it was unloaded was verifying it was MA complaint or they told the guy they wouldn't take it since it's harder to sell.

Last edited:
I've bailed on the purchase, so can speak a bit more freely.

It was a frickin' Ruger SR22 Model 3620. That's the 4.5" barrel. I know... SCARY gun, right? But it's not on the roster, so...

Anyway, the price wasn't that good. It was a long drive. The place we wanted to do the transfer was his 2nd choice and seems to have a crappy reputation. Not sure why any FFL would take the risk, TBH. But even if he was willing to go the eFA-10 route, by this point, I'd soured on the whole thing...

As a new shooter, I just don't need the hassle. There are plenty of normal, on-roster SR22s available near me, new and used, at a lower price.

I've bailed on the purchase, so can speak a bit more freely.

It was a frickin' Ruger SR22 Model 3620. That's the 4.5" barrel. I know... SCARY gun, right? But it's not on the roster, so...

Anyway, the price wasn't that good. It was a long drive. The place we wanted to do the transfer was his 2nd choice and seems to have a crappy reputation. Not sure why any FFL would take the risk, TBH. But even if he was willing to go the eFA-10 route, by this point, I'd soured on the whole thing...

As a new shooter, I just don't need the hassle. There are plenty of normal, on-roster SR22s available near me, new and used, at a lower price.

Sounds like a good move. Not worth the hassle.

If they merely put Ruger SR22 on the eFA-10 at the shop, nobody in CJIS/EOPS would have a clue that it wasn't one of the anointed models (that assumes that the basic SR22 is listed, I didn't look). Anyone that puts down TOO MUCH info (like SKU numbers, etc.) on an FA-10 is looking for trouble . . . not required or desired.

Im pretty sure the answer to this is no, but i had a conversation with a ffl about a non-rostered handgun that I own. The ffl indicated there might be liability issues if it did not meet the ag regs. Has anyone ever heard this before?

Im pretty sure the answer to this is no, but i had a conversation with a ffl about a non-rostered handgun that I own. The ffl indicated there might be liability issues if it did not meet the ag regs. Has anyone ever heard this before?
yes a lot and I never Listen to those Dumb FFL's. I had a well known FFL tell me that I can get in trouble if I got pulled over with my XDS on me .

If the handgun is in compliance with the assault weapons ban and you don't have post ban mags exceeding 10 rounds, you are okay on an LTC-A. The regs you're referring to are for FFL sales to civilians.

A post ban pistol with a preban high cap mag would be ok?

I rock a non-rostered pistol with a pre-ban high cap magazine almost every day.

- - - Updated - - -

If the handgun is in compliance with the assault weapons ban and you don't have post ban mags exceeding 10 rounds, you are okay on an LTC-A. The regs you're referring to are for FFL sales to civilians.

This is pretty much what I thought. It was the thing about liability of not meeting safety standards and wotnot that I was curious about- I'd never heard it before nor have I ever heard it being used in a trial. Guess I'll chalk it up to ass covering, which I can respect from a FFL.

This is pretty much what I thought. It was the thing about liability of not meeting safety standards and wotnot that I was curious about- I'd never heard it before nor have I ever heard it being used in a trial. Guess I'll chalk it up to ass covering, which I can respect from a FFL.

It's similar to the Ayoobism that gets repeated so often, that if you lighten your carry gun's trigger pull it will be used against you if you ever need to use it for self defense. As far as I know it's BS.

It's similar to the Ayoobism that gets repeated so often, that if you lighten your carry gun's trigger pull it will be used against you if you ever need to use it for self defense. As far as I know it's BS.

Yep. I'm unaware of a case where that happened, but we're in MA. A lovely place where people concoct the most elaborate way to potentially run afoul of the law, say it over 1,000 times, and then it becomes fact.

While I want to agree, I also disagree. While it could be a CYA motive, it also spreads awful misinformation. Most MA gun owners I'd assume are not on NES. They listen to FFLs as professionals in firearms regulations. Misinformation like this spreads like wildfire and it hurts everyone. I appreciate a dealer who is cautious, but don't appreciate cautious lies that create false panic.

I took LFI-1 and 2 from Ayoob. That is not what he said.

What did he say then? This article from Ayoob certainly seems to strongly imply that a lighter-than-factory trigger pull on a self-defense gun is a bad idea and can lead to legal troubles: http://smith-wessonforum.com/concealed-carry-self-defense/419191-facts-about-light-trigger-pull-liability.html

I suggest that you actually read that article, and also the links in that article to cases that went bad.

The points Ayoob made in LFI-1 and 2 were:

1) they will discover any modifications that you make to your gun.
2) when you decide on modifications to a defensive gun, consider how defensible they will be in court.
3) if you lighten the trigger, keep it at a weight which is defensible. A 4.5 lb trigger on a 1911 is probably defensible. A 2.5 lb trigger will probably be characterized as a "hair trigger" by the prosecution.
4) Such characterizations of modifications have resulted in very bad outcomes for defendants. Before you say "that has never happened", read the links that Ayoob included. Ayoob acted as expert witness on some cases where those issues did indeed come up.

Consider that Ayoob has been an expert witness in dozens of defensive shooting cases. I'm guessing that no one in this thread has ever been an expert witness in a single such case.

I suggest that you actually read that article, and also the links in that article to cases that went bad.

The points Ayoob made in LFI-1 and 2 were:

1) they will discover any modifications that you make to your gun.
2) when you decide on modifications to a defensive gun, consider how defensible they will be in court.
3) if you lighten the trigger, keep it at a weight which is defensible. A 4.5 lb trigger on a 1911 is probably defensible. A 2.5 lb trigger will probably be characterized as a "hair trigger" by the prosecution.
4) Such characterizations of modifications have resulted in very bad outcomes for defendants. Before you say "that has never happened", read the links that Ayoob included. Ayoob acted as expert witness on some cases where those issues did indeed come up.

Consider that Ayoob has been an expert witness in dozens of defensive shooting cases. I'm guessing that no one in this thread has ever been an expert witness in a single such case.

Yes, but also read that knowing the implied bias... odds are in cases where he was needed as an EW the chances of his silly corner cases are much higher. There are likely tons of SD cases where someone like Mas wasn't needed.

This is my first post, I've been lurking for a few months. First, I want to thank everyone for the knowledge they've shared here. I've learned so much in just a few months.
I happened to look up the approved firearms roster today and noticed the date of 3/2016 and the roster lists Gen4 Glocks as approved. Is this a new turn of events or am I missing something?

Edit: I believe I found the answer in the OP. Approved but not on AG list. Oops.

Last edited:
This is my first post, I've been lurking for a few months. First, I want to thank everyone for the knowledge they've shared here. I've learned so much in just a few months.
I happened to look up the approved firearms roster today and noticed the date of 3/2016 and the roster lists Gen4 Glocks as approved. Is this a new turn of events or am I missing something?

Edit: I believe I found the answer in the OP. Approved but not on AG list. Oops.

Yeah, as you found, Glocks have been on the "Approved Firearms Roster" put out by EOPSS for years. It's the AG's consumer protection BS that keeps (most) dealers from selling Glocks.

Holy shit, I feel like Peter now.... SOMEONE ACTUALLY READ THE FAQ! *fistbump*

Last edited by a moderator:
curious on something Dumb, is a G26 considered "High Capacity" since I can use High Capacity mags in it?

By itself? No... but if it was on the large cap roster, or you're running it with a large cap mag in it, then it becomes such.

-Mike

My understanding would be "yes" since it can readily accept without modification magazines which hold more than 10 rounds? If the pistol had no magazines available or made that held 10 rounds or the gun had to be modified to accept such a magazine, then it would be "no"?

Regardless, I don't believe the distinction matters outside properly completing the eFA-10 unless you have an LTC-B?

By itself? No... but if it was on the large cap roster, or you're running it with a large cap mag in it, then it becomes such.

-Mike
I have a buddy that say's when you register it online you have to put in yes when it says High Capacity, I said no way but on a 19 yes and he said it accepts it so you have to and I just shook my head.
I thought you would have to put Yes on a Rifle like AR's and such but on a G26 No?

My understanding would be "yes" since it can readily accept without modification magazines which hold more than 10 rounds? If the pistol had no magazines available or made that held 10 rounds or the gun had to be modified to accept such a magazine, then it would be "no"?

Regardless, I don't believe the distinction matters outside properly completing the eFA-10 unless you have an LTC-B?

So I hope you registered your 1911 (if you have one) as a large-cap gun too as they make single-stack mags that hold more than 10. [rolleyes] [shocked]

So I hope you registered your 1911 (if you have one) as a large-cap gun too as they make single-stack mags that hold more than 10. [rolleyes] [shocked]

Serious question though, as you're registering the gun and not the magazines, would a 1911 be large cap or not? What makes the distinction? What the roster says? How the gun is sold (what mags it comes with)? What's available under/over 10 rounds?

Back
Top Bottom