MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

He MUST sell thru an FFL since he's unlicensed in MA. Since the gun isn't "grandfathered" or on the EOPS List, legally the MA FFL can NOT transfer it to another MA LTC holder. It must be sold only out of state. Doing that, he'll get next to nothing for the gun.

His best solution is to take a drive WITH a MA LTC holder to NH or ME (KTP?) and sell the gun to a NH/ME gun shop. He'll still get screwed but by a lot less than a MA dealer.

Another potential solution (check the rules here to make sure it is OK) would be for you to advertise it here as for sale ONLY to a NON-MA person and have an FFL ship it to the out-of-state FFL to transfer it. He'll get a lot more money for it that way.

I got my ltc-a for Mass. recently.

I cannot navigate these Byzantine MA regs.

Lifelong book-worm .
All you need to know is this: as long as you follow the AWB and the post ban magazine limits, you can buy whatever someone in MA is willing to sell you.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I got my ltc-a for Mass. recently.

I cannot navigate these Byzantine MA regs.

Lifelong book-worm .

Browncoat is correct wrt what you can buy/own/possess.

However if you really want to learn the intricacies of what you can do, when, where, how, storage, transportation, etc. in a compact form you could consider attending one of my MA Gun Law Seminars (5+ hours).
All the details and dates are here: http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor I also post them in the Training sub-forum, but only 1 month at a time there vs. 2-3 months worth on my website.

So just received my LTC in Boston and I seem to be in the same boat as many others, Restrictions Target & Hunting, despite the fact I asked for ALP, own a business and gave explicit reasons of cash receipts which we have to carry. My partner lives and Holbrook and, as you might guess, got a unrestricted License from there, no questions. Seems its going to have to fall on him to continue to do the bank runs.
I do have a a compliance question: My Father in law has offered me two of his guns that he rarely uses, one is a 38 Special, the other is a Baby Browning which is circa 1944, still in great condition and would be an excellent conceal carry. With this restricted license how do I get these in to MA, he is in NH.
I wish Boston wasn't so complicated and nigh mystical in their gun legislation.

I do have a a compliance question: My Father in law has offered me two of his guns that he rarely uses, one is a 38 Special, the other is a Baby Browning which is circa 1944, still in great condition and would be an excellent conceal carry. With this restricted license how do I get these in to MA, he is in NH.
I wish Boston wasn't so complicated and nigh mystical in their gun legislation.

This isn't really about Boston, it's about MA's shitty laws. If the .38 is an old S&W or a Ruger you can probably import it via a willing FFL. You're gonna need to call up some dealers to find out how you can facilitate a transfer on either. Most dealers probably won't touch the Browning. If you get a C&R FFL (Type 03) you could probably easily transfer in the browning because it's probably a C&R gun. Because of the dissimilar residencies involved any transfer must go through an FFL.

Whether your LTC is restricted or not is completely meaningless WRT handgun compliance, so just forget about that, to make things slightly simpler.

Again it's also worth reiterating that if the dealer breaks the law WRT handgun compliance, it's not
your problem as the buyer/transferee. You will encounter dealers that are more restrictive than the law requires and some less restrictive to varying degrees. A few of them will feed you loads of crap about how "everything is illegal" over the phone, too, which should be ignored. You absorb no liability whatsoever unless the gun is possession illegal in MA (which for handguns, is a pretty limited subset of handguns like AR/AK pistols, and other similar handguns that trigger the MA AWB... typical handguns don't approach this issue at all. And whatever you do if you find a dealer willing to do a "rugsweep job" (ignore compliance) please don't brag about it here. We don't need someone else getting shut down.

-Mike

Last edited:
To start with I would get a hold of COMM2A,and see if they can help with that restriction.The only way to bring those guns in is if an FFL will transfer them in.You get an C&R FFL , and the guns that are 50 years and older you can bring in.The last way is when your father in law dies, and leaves them in his will to your wife.

To start with I would get a hold of COMM2A,and see if they can help with that restriction.The only way to bring those guns in is if an FFL will transfer them in.You get an C&R FFL , and the guns that are 50 years and older you can bring in.The last way is when your father in law dies, and leaves them in his will to your wife.
The father in law could also leave them to him directly. Bequests don't have to go to family for the federal exemption to apply if I remember correctly, they just need to be specific if there are multiple heirs.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

This isn't really about Boston, it's about MA's shitty laws. If the .38 is an old S&W or a Ruger you can probably import it via a willing FFL. You're gonna need to call up some dealers to find out how you can facilitate a transfer on either. Most dealers probably won't touch the Browning. If you get a C&R FFL (Type 03) you could probably easily transfer in the browning because it's probably a C&R gun. Because of the dissimilar residencies involved any transfer must go through an FFL.

Whether your LTC is restricted or not is completely meaningless WRT handgun compliance, so just forget about that, to make things slightly simpler.

Again it's also worth reiterating that if the dealer breaks the law WRT handgun compliance, it's not
your problem as the buyer/transferee. You will encounter dealers that are more restrictive than the law requires and some less restrictive to varying degrees. A few of them will feed you loads of crap about how "everything is illegal" over the phone, too, which should be ignored. You absorb no liability whatsoever unless the gun is possession illegal in MA (which for handguns, is a pretty limited subset of handguns like AR/AK pistols, and other similar handguns that trigger the MA AWB... typical handguns don't approach this issue at all. And whatever you do if you find a dealer willing to do a "rugsweep job" (ignore compliance) please don't brag about it here. We don't need someone else getting shut down.

-Mike

This. I had an older P226 transferred in and needed to get a certificate from Sig stating the gun was pre-list before the dealer would do the transfer. Sold it some years later also through a dealer and no issue. Depends on how careful the dealer wants to be.

Still confused about the rules why is it ok to purchase a glock on the approved weapons roster face to face via the mass web site. But not from a dealer any thoughts ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still confused about the rules why is it ok to purchase a glock on the approved weapons roster face to face via the mass web site. But not from a dealer any thoughts ???

940 CMR 16, the Attorney General's handgun regulations.

It's always ok to buy it. It may or may not be ok for the dealer to transfer/sell it tonyou, but quite effectively that's not your problem, in the strictest sense.

In reading thru the sections about it shall not apply if it was previously sold at retail to a consumer ... Does the next buyer have to find out where the last sale came from before considering purchasing the new one

In reading thru the sections about it shall not apply if it was previously sold at retail to a consumer ... Does the next buyer have to find out where the last sale came from before considering purchasing the new one

not the buyers problem, not now, not ever.

I must be over reading the context where does it state that specifically ?

It doesn't, its from a derivative reading of the law. Is there a law allowing you to breathe? No. This is no different, only one act is regulated, and that is the act of a MA dealer selling or transferring a handgun.

Like my gun is on the approved roster why couldn't the law allow you to purchase it new

So is there. Big difference between the ags list and the approved roster ?
Yes. If a dealer violates CMR940 (AG bullshit) it's just potential for large fines via civil infraction, which is crap. If the dealer violates EOPS roster, they can be criminally prosecuted (jail + fines). The difference is quite obvious.

In either case, there is NO RISK TO YOU as the buyer if you buy off list non compliant from a dealer (regardless of the list violated) it is their problem, and their problem only.

Like my gun is on the approved roster why couldn't the law allow you to purchase it new

Again you can buy whatever you want, as far as conventional handguns go. Whether or not the dealer will get in trouble for selling it to you or not, is another story. (and again, it's still not your problem. )

-Mike

The MGL does allow you to purchase it new. The MGL even allows the dealer to sell it to you new. But the AG's list doesn't allow the dealer to sell it to you new.

For a dealer to sell a new handgun, it must meet two separate standards: 1) be on the approved roster AND 2) meet the AG's requirements. If the handgun doesn't meet BOTH 1 and 2, then the dealer is breaking either the law or the regulation.

But, as Mike said, both the law and the statute govern what the dealer can sell, not what you can buy. If a dealer sells you a gun that doesn't meet the AG's regulations or isn't on the list, then the dealer is potentially in trouble, not you.

I get that was just trying to see how it didn't apply to private sales the jargon is rather confusing

940 CMR 16.00 defines a "handgun purveyor." You aren't one unless you've got an FFL.

. . . and in both cases the MGL and CMR define YOU (the buyer) as the aggrieved party, due to the alleged "consumer fraud" perpetrated upon you by a MA Dealer transferring an "unsafe" (by definition in the MGL or CMR) gun to an "innocent" victim. MA doesn't usually prosecute victims, that is why you can't be held culpable for purchasing it.

Bringing my 1911 back to MA

Hello there. I've been searching for an answer to this around the forum. I apologize if I have overlooked this in another thread. I am stationed in San Diego, CA (gun laws even worse than MA). While on active duty I was allowed to purchase a Springfield Armory 1911... no license or safety courses needed... just background check and a 10 day wait period etc. with a copy of my orders and military ID.

My enlistment is up in 6 months and I am moving back home to MA. My pistol is not on the MA roster of certified handguns. Am I allowed to keep my pistol in MA after obtaining my LTC? I have seen several posts elsewhere where people say that it's ok as I have the original receipts and paperwork etc. But I have yet to find a mass.gov page or anything that definitively says that I am ok bringing it to MA and keeping it. I know that Springield's pistols cannot be sold in MA, but it was purchased in CA. All my magazines are 10 rounds or less.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Hello there. I've been searching for an answer to this around the forum. I apologize if I have overlooked this in another thread. I am stationed in San Diego, CA (gun laws even worse than MA). While on active duty I was allowed to purchase a Springfield Armory 1911... no license or safety courses needed... just background check and a 10 day wait period etc. with a copy of my orders and military ID.

My enlistment is up in 6 months and I am moving back home to MA. My pistol is not on the MA roster of certified handguns. Am I allowed to keep my pistol in MA after obtaining my LTC? I have seen several posts elsewhere where people say that it's ok as I have the original receipts and paperwork etc. But I have yet to find a mass.gov page or anything that definitively says that I am ok bringing it to MA and keeping it. I know that Springield's pistols cannot be sold in MA, but it was purchased in CA. All my magazines are 10 rounds or less.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Yes, you can keep it. The handgun compliance laws/regs only apply to what a dealer can sell/transfer.

Bring it with you. Perfectly legal. No law will tell you that you can do this. There is no law prohibiting this.

You might re-think MA, much better if you move to NH.

Thank you for your service.

Back
Top Bottom