MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

I've read plenty in here about buying non-compliant handguns by MA residents. What about MA residents now wanting to SELL non-compliant handguns to a gun store in another state (Maine)? Do we need to go through a MA FFL to sell the gun to a gun store in Maine or can we simply bring the gun to the store (Kittery Trading Post)?

I've read plenty in here about buying non-compliant handguns by MA residents. What about MA residents now wanting to SELL non-compliant handguns to a gun store in another state (Maine)? Do we need to go through a MA FFL to sell the gun to a gun store in Maine or can we simply bring the gun to the store (Kittery Trading Post)?
You can sell any gun to a dealer in any state by federal law. You'll get more selling it in state ftf

Edit: any title I shotgun, rifle, or handgun

You can outbound any gun to any FFL in a free state no problem. Not sure about other commie dumps like CT, etc though... but that's a different ballgame for a different thread.

-Mike

So how does a dealer compare the EOPS roster to AG regs if the AG won't publish her list? How do you know what to transfer and what not to?

So how does a dealer compare the EOPS roster to AG regs if the AG won't publish her list? How do you know what to transfer and what not to?

The manuf and distis play "nanny" with this stuff and tell dealers what priduct meets both- eg their legal depts draft letters, etc, but thats obviously not gospel, either. Particularly given that some of them are kinda screwed in the head, like Ruger. [laugh]

-Mike

So besides the obvious stuff, I literally just start transferring handguns on the EOPS list until I get a letter? Gotta love MA.

I figured you would get shut down the first time caught. No letter.

So besides the obvious stuff, I literally just start transferring handguns on the EOPS list until I get a letter? Gotta love MA.

I figured you would get shut down the first time caught. No letter.

No, they want to wait until they've got you by the short and curlies. So the AG's office waits until you've transferred several.

O.K. so I've read a lot of threads and still don't have a clear understanding about buying a "non mass compliant" hand gun from a private party. Example: Can I buy a Springfield XDs from a private party and have it be a legal transaction? Both parties live in Mass.

Last edited:
O.K. so I've read a lot of threads and still don't have a clear understanding about buying a "non mass compliant" hand gun from a private party. Example: Can I buy a Springfield XDs from a private party and have it be a legal transaction?

The EOPS / AG secret list only apply to dealers. Private party transactions are not affected... get your XDs in a FTF transaction (if you can afford the MA premium)

O.K. so I've read a lot of threads and still don't have a clear understanding about buying a "non mass compliant" hand gun from a private party. Example: Can I buy a Springfield XDs from a private party and have it be a legal transaction? Both parties live in Mass.

Those lists are NOT our problem as buyers!!

Shop until you find what you want at a price that you are willing to pay, do the paperwork and go home happy.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Last question..... Are all "non mass compliant" hand guns allowed to be purchased by law enforcement? Such as the SA XDS?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Last question..... Are all "non mass compliant" hand guns allowed to be purchased by law enforcement? Such as the SA XDS?

No, at least not for personal purchase, but if a gun shop believes the fully exempt myth, my advice would be to not look that gift horse in the mouth, as its not your problem if the dealer is wrong!!!!

I own a xds 45 and I know a handful of people in mass with them . You can own or sell any thing you want private sale in mass as long as it's not a assault pistol is ar/ak pistols. Normal handguns you don't have to worry about that .

With th a letter from their Cheif of Police.

Nope, not legally anyway. Only an agency (PD itself) can order anything they like. All officers making a purchase (legally) can only order what is on the EOPS List. Now if a dealer will sell it, as Mike said, it is on them not the buyer. That's why I no longer print out the EOPS List or worry about such trivia . . . not my problem.

Nope, not legally anyway. Only an agency (PD itself) can order anything they like. All officers making a purchase (legally) can only order what is on the EOPS List. Now if a dealer will sell it, as Mike said, it is on them not the buyer. That's why I no longer print out the EOPS List or worry about such trivia . . . not my problem.

Is is that state law? I know federal law allows it an no 4473 or NICS check needs to be done.

MA State Law.

I've even seen a uniformed MSP Trooper (with LTC) buy a gun, NICS/4473 and FA-10 (MIRCS) were done. AFAIK there is no exemption to NICS/4473 for individual officer purchases.

MA State Law.

I've even seen a uniformed MSP Trooper (with LTC) buy a gun, NICS/4473 and FA-10 (MIRCS) were done. AFAIK there is no exemption to NICS/4473 for individual officer purchases.

But it what if he was buying for himself? I've seen some customers introduce themselves as officers and explain their duties to FFL's. Can't say whether they presented a CLEO letter or not.

But I assumed there would be a law enforcement exemption with CLEO approval.

But it what if he was buying for himself? I've seen some customers introduce themselves as officers and explain their duties to FFL's. Can't say whether they presented a CLEO letter or not.

But I assumed there would be a law enforcement exemption with CLEO approval.
Police departments can directly order guns and have them shipped straight to themselves with no ffl if I remember correctly. An individual officer is just am individual who needs to jump through the hoops

At the store today and a gun shop worker was telling customer that anyone with arresting powers can buy non compliant stuff.

I've heard this before as well.

At the store today and a gun shop worker was telling customer that anyone with arresting powers can buy non compliant stuff.

I've heard this before as well.

Technically, anyone in MA can buy non compliant stuff no problem. They're not the ones liable. The LE exemption only indemnifies the dealer from CMR940, not the roster BS. That's all it does. it conveys no special power/ability etc. If you're badged and you have a dealer that believes these fairytales, dont look that gift horse in the mouth, frankly... because it's not your problem as the buyer.

Even for a dealer to do a transfer under an LEO duty-use exemption, the firearm must still be on the EOPSS Approved Firearms roster. The duty use exemption only gets you over the AG hurdle.

What documentation is required depends on the dealer. Some want a letter from the Chief on PD letterhead; others will simply allow the transfer on a police ID.

Last edited:
Hey so I'm new to this site and figured I'd start out by asking a question, my buddy has a Springfield XD 40 sub compact. He lives in New Hampshire but also has a place in mass that he lives 50% of the time. Doesn't have a mass drivers license or mass ltc so all of his guns are still in NH. I inquired about buying this pistol from him. How would I go about legally registering it if at all in the state of mass. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I asked an FFL dealer and they said to just register it online is this all that is required it seems to easy..

Unless your buddy gets a MA LTC (Resident type), he can't legally transfer it to you FTF.

As it is now, you'd have to find a MA dealer willing to transfer it to you and your buddy would have to get it to that dealer (with you in the car from the NH line would work). Not trivial.

And what that FFL suggested would be a Federal felony for both you and your buddy.

Hey so I'm new to this site and figured I'd start out by asking a question, my buddy has a Springfield XD 40 sub compact. He lives in New Hampshire but also has a place in mass that he lives 50% of the time. Doesn't have a mass drivers license or mass ltc so all of his guns are still in NH. I inquired about buying this pistol from him. How would I go about legally registering it if at all in the state of mass. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I asked an FFL dealer and they said to just register it online is this all that is required it seems to easy..

You can't.

Unless he's got a MA LTC, the purchase has to through a MA FFL. And the MA FFL will most likely refuse to do the transfer because it isn't on the list.

So even if the trade was conducted in New Hampshire I couldn't bring it across into mass and then register it?

You can not buy a handgun in a private sale from a resident of a different state. That would be a federal felony. If you want to buy a handgun from am resident of a different state, it must go through a dealer in your state of residence (MA).

If you assert that he is a resident of MA, private party sales in MA require that both MA residents have an LTC.

It isn't worth the legal risk.

There is no easy way around this law.

You can not buy a handgun in a private sale from a resident of a different state. That would be a federal felony. If you want to buy a handgun from am resident of a different state, it must go through a dealer in your state of residence (MA).

If you assert that he is a resident of MA, private party sales in MA require that both MA residents have an LTC.

It isn't worth the legal risk.

There is no easy way around this law.

Does federal law require that residents of the same state conduct FTF transactions within their mutual state of residence? I'm not saying it is a good idea, I'm just curious.

Does federal law require that residents of the same state conduct FTF transactions within their mutual state of residence? I'm not saying it is a good idea, I'm just curious.

I've never seen this addressed. BUT both parties MUST have MA RESIDENT LTCs to do this and the selling party does NOT have such according to the OP.

Back
Top Bottom