MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

I'd like to purchase a firing pin and extractor for my Sig P226 (purchased in MA and compliant) as well as an AR15 (likewise purchased in MA and compliant) complete bolt assembly. Are there any MA restrictions on purchasing these items from out of state on-line? e.g. Midway

Nope, buy away.

Something I do not understand.
For example, Four Seasons Firearms lists S&W Model 327 TRR8 on their website (they list it as very hard to get but obviously they sold it before). However, I could not find this revolver on the previous list or on the newest one referenced right above.

Same goes for S&W M&P R8 - someone mentioned they saw it at another store in Mass but once again I can't find it on the list.

Would love to get either one and they go fast on gunbroker or gunsamerica but I want to make sure they are legal.

Last edited:
Something I do not understand.
For example, Four Seasons Firearms lists S&W Model 327 TRR8 on their website (they list it as very hard to get but obviously they sold it before). However, I could not find this revolver on the previous list or on the newest one referenced right above.

Same goes for S&W M&P R8 - someone mentioned they saw it at another store in Mass but once again I can't find it on the list.

Some dealers interpret things differently, including the "Substantially Similar" clause. The list is not your responsibility. It's not worth worrying or caring about because you, as the consumer, absorb no liability.

-Mike

Some dealers interpret things differently, including the "Substantially Similar" clause. The list is not your responsibility. It's not worth worrying or caring about because you, as the consumer, absorb no liability.

-Mike

Thank you. I guess I will need to find a dealer near me willing to accept an online purchase for one of these guns, Four Seasons is kinda out of the way for me...

My son is moving from DC to MA. He has permit in DC but no lisc. in MA. He has arranged to see LEO once he moves up, but that won't be of any help in the short term. He has MA compliant firearm. What is the process of bringing a firearm into MA? I have MA LTC/A. I think he has to do this through a third party, right? He could transfer to me and then once he has his LTC, then I could transfer back to him.

My son is moving from DC to MA. He has permit in DC but no lisc. in MA. He has arranged to see LEO once he moves up, but that won't be of any help in the short term. He has MA compliant firearm. What is the process of bringing a firearm into MA? I have MA LTC/A. I think he has to do this through a third party, right? He could transfer to me and then once he has his LTC, then I could transfer back to him.

Read this thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/56054-MOVING-to-Massachusetts-Read-Here-First!

Basically - he can bring his firearm with him, and as long as he stores it in accordance with MA law and applies for his LTC within 60 days he's legal.

Nope, you have it all wrong.

Read this thread specifically on this topic.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/56054-MOVING-to-Massachusetts-Read-Here-First!

I've read as much as I can and don't think there is a legal way to do this but figured I'd confirm. I'll try to ask this in it's most simple form...
I live in MA and hold an MA class A LTC. Is there a way I can take legal possession of a used Kimber 1911 from an out of state LEO (NH)?
Everything I've read tells me no, but the part about being used and from a LEO has me wondering.

Last edited:
I've read as much as I can and don't think there is a legal way to do this but figured I'd confirm. I'll try to ask this in it's most simple form...
I live in MA and hold an MA class A LTC. Is there a way I can take legal possession of a used Kimber 1911 from an out of state LEO (NH)?
Everything I've read tells me no, but the part about being used and from a LEO has me wondering.

Find a LGS that will do the transfer.

Fred

Kimber isn't on the MA attorney generals Pay Off list. Apparently they didn't drop off the requisite satchel of cash to the right person.

Kimber isn't on the MA attorney generals Pay Off list. Apparently they didn't drop off the requisite satchel of cash to the right person.

Well Kimber doesn't even bother to get their guns on the EOPS roster which makes the whole AG/CMR940 thing a non starter. The funny thing is most of their stuff would be compliant, they have guns with LCIs, etc, and 1911s rarely have compliance issues in MA. There would be a ton of suckers in MA who would buy them, too. [rofl]

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenty of ways to do this legally but nobody is going to talk about it in the open.

-Mike

Find a LGS that will do the transfer.

Fred

As Fred said, call around, and find one to do the transfer. It's that simple.

Would a family member who is a resident of another state be able to give you a non compliant hand gun?

If it is a transfer this is a violation of federal law. If it is a temporary loan for sporting purposes" (or whatever BS is specified in fed law) then this is legal.

That aside, that stuff is not relevant to MA handgun compliance in any way, shape, or form, however. Handgun compliance does not dictate what kinds of handguns you can lawfully purchase or possess. It only dictates what MA licensed dealers (aka "handgun purveyors" in the law) are allowed to sell and transfer, period end, full stop.

-Mike

Sorry, I couldn’t figure this out by searching.

Can a Mass FFL sell/transfer a non-compliant handgun under any circumstances, like say they took it in trade from a Mass resident who owned it before moving to Mass?
(I think no, but not sure)

I can buy a non-compliant handgun in a Face to Face transfer, assuming the owner legally owns it, like they moved to mass already owning the handgun. And if so, how do you know the owner legally acquired it? You’ll do a transfer, but how does the state know he brought it in legally?

Last edited:
1. FFLs can NOT legally transfer a non-compliant (unless grandfathered) gun to a MA resident. They can possess them and they can sell them to out of state buyers thru an FFL in the buyer's state only.

2. If someone with a LTC wants to sell you a gun at a price you are willing to pay, buy it in the FTF transaction and don't worry about the state. It is totally irrelevant. Neither you nor the state needs to know where it came from, when he bought it, who he bought it from, was it previously registered in MA, etc. DON'T over-think it, just buy and enjoy.

1. FFLs can NOT legally transfer a non-compliant (unless grandfathered) gun to a MA resident. They can possess them and they can sell them to out of state buyers thru an FFL in the buyer's state only.

2. If someone with a LTC wants to sell you a gun at a price you are willing to pay, buy it in the FTF transaction and don't worry about the state. It is totally irrelevant. Neither you nor the state needs to know where it came from, when he bought it, who he bought it from, was it previously registered in MA, etc. DON'T over-think it, just buy and enjoy.

Ok, so the Glocks I see on sale are pre-ban or grandfathered, thanks. And FTF I just make sure he has an LTC and we do the form. Thanks!

Ok, so the Glocks I see on sale are pre-ban or grandfathered, thanks. And FTF I just make sure he has an LTC and we do the form. Thanks!

We don't need to care. The penalties are strictly on dealers who sell non-complaint (or non-grandfathered) handguns, NOT the buyer/owner! There are some dealers who may flaunt this law, but it's not our concern.

New Glocks are on the Approved Firearms Roster, so they comply with statute. They do not comply with the Attorney General's regulations. So in the case of a dealer selling new Glocks, I believe the might be facing a civil suit from the AG, but not criminal charges.

we dont have a "list" for long guns in MA, so aside from the AWB getting long guns in MA isnt typically difficult. the issue here is that handguns not on the list are more expensive and hard to find. i suggest purchasing the non-compliant handguns before moving to MA, just be sure to observe the mag restriction once you physically bring them into MA.

nothing here is new concept. its been said a million times before and still applies to new people moving to MA. i really wish i knew the list existed before i moved here.

Now remember dealers are not allowed to sell you firearms that don't comply with the AG's safety regulations because they are not SAFE firearms.On the other hand police Dept. don't fall under the regulations,so they are allowed to carry those firearms. Now we have police Dept. carrying UNSAFE firearms that could be endangering the public.

Hi guys
quick question as I am a bit confused. My wife has her LTC as do I in MA however she owns property in NH.

She has bought firearms in NH that are not MA compliant (no mags more than 10 rds) the firearms just are not on the approved roster.

I have a few questions are we allowed to bring the firearms to our home in MA?

Also I was told if we used said firearm in a home defense situation we would be charged criminally as the firearm is non compliant.

I know MA laws suck but this seems odd

any help would be appreciated

apc0204.

Q1. - Yes she can bring them to MA but then needs to register them with the eFA-10 system.
Q2. - If ANY firearm is used in a home defense situation, you must prepare for the fact that you are likely to be charged criminally. The origin (if legal) of the firearm or compliance/non-compliance should never be an issue, but you'll be defending yourself against a murder/manslaughter charge anyway in many/most cases.

Everything about MA gun law is weird.

Hi guys
quick question as I am a bit confused. My wife has her LTC as do I in MA however she owns property in NH.

She has bought firearms in NH that are not MA compliant (no mags more than 10 rds) the firearms just are not on the approved roster.

I have a few questions are we allowed to bring the firearms to our home in MA?

Also I was told if we used said firearm in a home defense situation we would be charged criminally as the firearm is non compliant.

I know MA laws suck but this seems odd

any help would be appreciated

Handgun compliance concerns ONLY what a dealer is allowed to sell or transfer to you. Period.

Any handgun your wife buys while residing in NH can be legally brought back to MA, and must be "registered" via an FA10/eFA10 within 7 days of bringing it into MA. She can then do whatever she wants with it (carry it, shoot it, sell it FTF to another licensed MA resident, etc.) The AWB still applies, so mags over 10 rounds made after Sept 1994 have to stay out of MA, as you are aware.

Anyone who tells you it's illegal to use a non-compliant handgun in self defense is blowing smoke. Ask them to cite the law that says so.

Another question if she does the eFA-10 transfer does she transfer the firearm to herself? Or to me?

Or does she list the dealer in NH?

Back
Top Bottom