MA Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread (new)

I guess if there was ever some type of firearm confiscation in MA I can say the firearm is kept out of state? What would be the legal position if a MA authority requested I produce the firearm?

Good luck with that.

Most likely the PD in MA would call up the PD in NH and ask them to go collect the firearms from your NH address. It's been done before.

Exactly my point about not registering in MA. If they do not know you have them they can’t ask for them. So it sounds like for me to bring them into MA I need to fill out the FA-10. Which then creates a record with the state.

Good luck with that.

Most likely the PD in MA would call up the PD in NH and ask them to go collect the firearms from your NH address. It's been done before.

And if it is for any reason other than a 209A (due to Fed Lautenberg Act) or if the person was accused of a violent crime (guns could be evidence), the NH PD would tell the MA PD to pound sand and not confiscate! NH is not MA and one PD is not obligated to do as "told" by another if it doesn't make sense to them.

Do I need to fill out a FA-10 if the firearm just lives in my house? I bring it from out of state and then secure it in my house and do not bring it off my private property.

LenS, I did read that post, thanks. I thought potentially being on my private property may have made a difference, I guess not. Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it.

LenS, I did read that post, thanks. I thought potentially being on my private property may have made a difference, I guess not. Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it.

Hi Doug997, welcome, and there are shining beacons of information on this site. However, private property is not a concept well received by the warts that occupy Bacon Hill. We all encourage you to go green!

Sadly in MA there is no "private property", everything belongs to the King <deval> [puke2].

Seriously there are no exemptions of any sort.

I have MA LTC A no restrictions and carry a MA approved semi with 10 round mag. I seem to recall city of Boston has some additional regulations on what you can carry. Can someone please clarify? Thanks

I have MA LTC A no restrictions and carry a MA approved semi with 10 round mag. I seem to recall city of Boston has some additional regulations on what you can carry. Can someone please clarify? Thanks

Boston has tighter restrictions on rifles and shotguns, and their magazines, than the rest of MA. These restrictions do not affect handguns or handgun magazines.

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/bostonawban.html

There doesn't seem to be a way to search specific forums, so forgive a newbie asking what might be an already answered question. From looking at the lists, it appears that *none* of the Taurus brand of pistols, semi-automatic or revolvers, are legal in Massachusetts? Is that correct?

Thanks very much.

Dave

non compliant and heres a useful page

http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_information.html

where it says this

We don't like Taurus products due to terrible customer service experiences that we've had. However, it doesn't matter since we can't sell them anyway.

Last edited:
There doesn't seem to be a way to search specific forums, so forgive a newbie asking what might be an already answered question. From looking at the lists, it appears that *none* of the Taurus brand of pistols, semi-automatic or revolvers, are legal in Massachusetts? Is that correct?

Thanks very much.

Dave

They are not compliant, which means dealers cannot sell/transfer them. They are legal to own, so if you manage to acquire one, for instance in a private sale, it is legal to possess. You are right that none of them are on the EOPS list, so you can't just walk into a MA dealer and find them for sale.

Thanks very much.

Dave

They're not compliant but that doesn't mean they're illegal to own, just that a dealer could potentially get in a lot of trouble if they sell or transfer you one. Even if they did it still isn't your problem.

-Mike

While I like shopping at FS the verbiage on his pages is somewhat misleading WRT handgun compliance.

Statements like "You cannot purchase these" are being a little disingenuous/innacurate regarding the situation.

-Mike

yeah i know, i just had remembered reading that there and i thought it was kinda funny

First post and new to forum. One question, can I legally purchase on of the Glock 17 gen 4 or H&K USP 45 from the dealer for sales in this forum?

First post and new to forum. One question, can I legally purchase on of the Glock 17 gen 4 or H&K USP 45 from the dealer for sales in this forum?

It's their problem not yours, talk to the dealer beforehand. Some of the guns listed are LE sales only (which is laughable) but there is nothing stopping you as the consumer, legally, from buying it. Just make sure if it comes with new magazines that you're getting 10 rounders, if you want to be 100% legal. (of course this is an AWB issue, not a handgun compliance issue, per se).

-Mike

Thanks Mike, I will make sure it only comes with 10 round magazine.

Yup, like said above the compliance issue is for DEALERS only. If you can find someone locally selling FTF (remember, you must purchase in the state you're a resident in per federal law; assuming MA here) then the compliance issue is a non-issue. If you happen to get a non-compliant model from a dealer then it's their screw up, not yours. There's no law against owning a non-compliant handgun as long as it doesn't qualify as an assault weapon. The 10 round limit is an issue though for post-ban mags, regardless of where you're purchasing.

Thanks guys. I saw a lot of Glock Gen 4 and H&K USP 45 for sale in the dealers thread and they are located in MA. I emailed a few, they will sell me with 10 rounds magazine and I told them I will only do a FTF transaction.

Thanks guys. I saw a lot of Glock Gen 4 and H&K USP 45 for sale in the dealers thread and they are located in MA. I emailed a few, they will sell me with 10 rounds magazine and I told them I will only do a FTF transaction.

It doesn't need to be FTF. You can walk right into that particular gun shop in MA, and go home with it. Done.

I want a H&K 45 long before I got my license but never get around to really look for one until I recently shoot with it again.

I want a H&K 45 long before I got my license but never get around to really look for one until I recently shoot with it again.

I FINALLY got to fire a USP Compact in 45 recently. It's been my favorite pistol for a very long time and being able to fire one just reaffirmed how much I like them. Good luck in your search.

Well, it's not a secret, no offense. There are a lot posting right here in the dealer classifieds, that are open to everyone. It's not like they're hiding it. [laugh]

No need to make it easier on them either. If you make it too easy to learn, lazy people who have no business knowing will know and might do something stupid.

I'd like to purchase a firing pin and extractor for my Sig P226 (purchased in MA and compliant) as well as an AR15 (likewise purchased in MA and compliant) complete bolt assembly. Are there any MA restrictions on purchasing these items from out of state on-line? e.g. Midway

Back
Top Bottom