Is Fireclean simply Crisco?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/08/ar-endurance-findings-at-a-rental-range/

I want to point out, at the end of this article, they settle on Lucas Gun Oil as the best solution. Lucas Gun Oil is almost certainly fossil fuel based. ie; Synth oil or trans oil...

I took an armorers class at Sig this summer and we got into the conversation about lubes. The instructor said it's all bullshit and that we should just use some form of synthetic oil like Mobil1. He then said that Sig specifically says to use oil designed for use in their firearms, and that they now carried Lucas Gun Oil in the pro shop, and that it was re-branded synthetic engine oil.

so i am not following this conversation well. if fireclean is just crisco AND it works well...why not just go to demoulas and buy crisco?

It breaks down over time when exposed to light and oxygen. ie, ok for short term shooting, but no good for storing your firearms.

Ive used clp, lsa, slip2000, militech, wd40 in cans when Ive hosted big shoots during my undergrad, etc. I like the militech and slip 2000 but oil is oil for guns. We arent talking cars where you're gonna trash your engine. Some might be less of a PITA but all it needs to do is keep it from binding up. Anything that stays wet is going to gunk up with dust/lint anyway and need reapplication/cleaning.

Going forward Ill probably stick to clp or mobile1.

Theres no magic gun oil, nor does there need to be one.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

ALL gun oil is extremely overpriced lubricant. Some may be specially formulated, but much is probably something else repackaged.

Look at the typical prices - about $1/ounce, or $128 a gallon. When the manufacturer gets this stuff in 55 gallon drums (or other bulk packaging), it's probably a few dollars a gallon. You are paying for the smaller convenient packaging; designation as "gun oil"; and marketing claims is it breaking new grounds in lubrication.

The analysis of Fireclean just lifted the lid off the black box for a peek a this.

Last edited:
ALL gun oil is extremely overpriced lubricant. Some may be specially formulated, but much is probably something else repackaged.

Look at the typical prices - about $1/ounce, or $65/gallon. When the manufacturer gets this stuff in 55 gallon drums (or other bulk packaging), it's probably a few dollars a gallon. You are paying for the smaller convenient packaging; designation as "gun oil"; and marketing claims is it breaking new grounds in lubrication.

The analysis of Fireclean just lifted the lid off the black box for a peek a this.

exactly, it's 99% profit, so instead of R&D and actual research, great deal of profits are spent on marketing and buying endorsements.

hmmmm been using rem oil.
maybe when it runs out, i'll just buy a quart of mobil1

Seems like anything a manufacturer markets as "gun" related; eye & ear pro, lube, gloves, bags - that there is a jump in price.

IIRC, there was a similar controversy a few years back with Gun Scrubber. Some were accusing it of being nothing but repackaged parts cleaner - sold at a higher price.

What weight Mobil 1 do you guys use?

We are talking about a gun here not a piston operating at high speed and pressure.

The weight matters little in this application.

A friend of mine who was an armorer in Vietnam and is now a mechanical engineer has used ATF for his guns for decades with no issue. Yes it is anecdotal, but still.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/08/ar-endurance-findings-at-a-rental-range/

I want to point out, at the end of this article, they settle on Lucas Gun Oil as the best solution. Lucas Gun Oil is almost certainly fossil fuel based. ie; Synth oil or trans oil...

Glad someone else posted this. That is a great read if you want to learn about extremely high volume shooting and teh effects of wear on common weapon platforms. Piston guys might take some notes too.

The Vegas range averages 100,000 rounds per weapon per month.

They use Lucas, Slip2000, & TW-25. Not necessarily because they are the best but because they don't spray on clients.

Good read.

One thing I thought of looking at the title - just because it is made of something similar to cooking oil doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It could be formulated to work fine.

Separately, people seem to have big problems with it gumming up. I'd say those are two different issues though. 1. Is it crisco. 2. Does it suck?

So far it seems like 1. Maybe. 2. Probably.

Awesome, sounds like this Vicker's guy is a real deal when comes to pushing snake oils ... as long as you can pay him.

I tried one of his extended mag releases on my G26 and you couldn't holster it without the mag ejecting. That's my only exposure to the man. Reading the break down of that slow mo video turns my stomach and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This industry is too small to survive stunts like that.

They said it was a "formulation" so it's Crisco + some food coloring [rofl]

It's not new practice, actually dental casting plaster is two very common and cheap ingredients, but it's sold for sky high prices. They mix in food coloring to make it "special" [laugh]

Do they add that shit taste or is it natural?

I tried one of his extended mag releases on my G26 and you couldn't holster it without the mag ejecting. That's my only exposure to the man. Reading the break down of that slow mo video turns my stomach and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This industry is too small to survive stunts like that.

His you tube channel is kinda a joke.
I like the videos when he's showing rare stuff is Russia. But other then that his videos are meh. Not enough real info or come off like a salesman.

Back
Top Bottom