Is Fireclean simply Crisco?

Froglube was originally a lubricant/cleaning product for meat processing machines that supposedly has some additional additives for firearm use. If it works why knock where it originally came from?

If you like Froglube, then buy the roller coaster grease. Same product, bigger containers, much lower price.

Both of these are the same schtick: buy a big 55 gallon drum of industrial oil or grease, repackage into small containers, mark up the price 30x, pay some former SEAL or Delta guy to say it's great.

so i am not following this conversation well. if fireclean is just crisco AND it works well...why not just go to demoulas and buy crisco?

I think that's the point being made. Go buy Crisco and save yourself some $ instead of overpaying for Fireclean. You can probably find several food-safe greases and oils used in food manufacturing (or on deli-slicers) that will work perfectly fine for most gun applications if you want to be able to eat your gun oil/grease for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Well if everyone figures out what oil/grease each product is adapted/directly packaged from, then we all could save a ton of money buying the industrial sized containers. Froglube is one of ~80 FDA/NSSF certified H-1 food grade high temperature lubricants and their cleaning product (same stuff as Hoppes Elite) is another food grade degreaser/surficant (they probably tried them all until one was found to remove lead fouling).

I have been using synthetic motor oil for over 10 years with good results. It's not better than the "super lubes" but it is just as good for a small fraction of the cost.

I used Break Free for many years with excellent results but switched to synthetic motor oil when the price went to $6 for four oz. Synthetic is working just as good as Break Free, although I don't think it is also a cleaner. I can't understand why anyone would use an expensive lube for cleaning when a squirt of carb cleaner will work better for a lot less $. I do spend $ where I need to, on bore cleaners.

i liked this

[QUOTEYou’ve begun an investigation which could have fruitful results stating what each of these oils even are, but stopping at IR data isn’t sufficient. Many of us who read your articles also work in the chemical industry or at least perform analytical chemistry in laboratory settings for a living. While it is not my specific field of expertise, it seems agreeable that more testing is needed to make any conclusion. As of right now your viewership is likely to take this sole IR data as comprehensive evidence that Fireclean is indeed vegetable oil.][/QUOTE]

When I can get it for free I use whale oil.

sort of

Starrett tool and instrument oil is, according to legend the synthetic version of the older version made from whale oil.

Otherwise I use Mobil 1 leftover from oil bottles.

sort of

Starrett tool and instrument oil is, according to legend the synthetic version of the older version made from whale oil.

possibly. as it was available almost into the 80s. thats about the availability of whale oil in the us

- - - Updated - - -

sort of

possibly. as it was available almost into the 80s. thats about the availability of whale oil in the us

Well if everyone figures out what oil/grease each product is adapted/directly packaged from, then we all could save a ton of money buying the industrial sized containers. Froglube is one of ~80 FDA/NSSF certified H-1 food grade high temperature lubricants and their cleaning product (same stuff as Hoppes Elite) is another food grade degreaser/surficant (they probably tried them all until one was found to remove lead fouling).

Froglube is TrackLubePlus: http://www.tracklubeplus.com/

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/related-gear-equipment/160748-froglube.html#post2614427

- - - Updated - - -

I use whatever synthetic oil I have laying around.

Like Fireclean? You're using cooking oil...

I'll stick with mil-comm TW line. I have no clue if it cooks food as well, but I'm happy enough with it.

Interesting articles. A friend of mine told me about FireClean a few weeks ago. It's actually saved in my Amazon cart. I guess that will be getting removed. Personally I use M-Pro 7 but I would also use Mobil 1.

What is it with gun dudes and oil? It's not that complicated, yet tons of people jump to trying the new fad whiz-bang oil which is probably 99% identical to every other oil out there.

I use CLP as my firearm lube. It is good enough for the military and my guns will most likely never ever see the kind of abuse the military puts their guns through.

After watching the video of Larry Vickers endorsing and claiming Fireclean's legitimacy makes u kinda wonder about Larry Vickers as a whole. What kind of real testing did Larry do to make his claims.?? What a fraud.

And also watching the 2 founders lie through their teeth was pretty entertaining also.

Ooooops...

9maTzHD.jpg

Personally, I could never understand the whole 'celebrity' endorsement, mentality thing no matter what the product is or whom is shilling it.

I guess it must work saleswise seeing as companies will pay these people (eg: pro sports), serious cash to pitch their products.

You know somebody knows what they're talking about when they talk about steel having pores. [rolleyes]

Clowns say the same shit about froglube.

From FireClean's FB

"We would like to address recent false or misleading allegations that range from simply misguided to false, defamatory, and libelous. These attacks have been made by competitors and others that paint our product in a false or misleading light. The allegations do not focus on actual performance or relevant tests, and draw a misleading picture.
FIREClean™ Advanced Gun Oil is a specifically formulated, technically superior weapon reliability solution that resists the harshest firing with enormous heat and carbon overload that seize most weapons. It is a formulation- made specifically for exceptional reliability in firearms and weapons- not a re-labeled or re-packaged product.
FIREClean™ has been proven in combat in Afghanistan by US Special Operations Forces, and is in use by Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force Special Operations. It is also in use by elements of the FBI, DHS, DEA, CBP, Secret Service, Department of State, various intelligence agencies as well as numerous State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies.
FIREClean™ has been successfully tested on and is in use on weapons from handguns and shotguns to fully automatic and suppressed individual weapons. It has also been successfully tested on and is in use on crew served weapons from 5.56mm M249s to 40mm Automatic Grenade Launchers.
In addition to over 3 years of Combat and Service/Duty usage, FIREClean™ has been used on the competition circuit by the best shooters in the world, including the US Army Marksmanship Unit. It has been used to win multiple National Championships in Pistol, 3 Gun, Sniping, and many other competitive shooting disciplines.
We are proud to be of service to those that bear arms in defense of our freedom, those that serve to keep us safe in our communities, and those that carry firearms for self defense. We are also pleased to be of service to tens of thousands of competitors, hunters, and recreational shooters- all of whom appreciate the highest possible levels of reliability and safety.
We believe that our performance speaks for itself. We offer what we and many others regard as the best, highest performing product on the market. We have not commented on the formulation, nor will we do so now. We have focused on performance, and we will continue to do so.
Rest assured that we will defend our good name against false, defamatory and libelous allegations using the full measure of remedies available to us.
Thank you for your time and consideration."

Somewhat off topic from Fireclean, but since gun greases are just repurposed industrial greases, I'm trying super lube as a protectant/general grease. It's food safe, and has rust inhibitors.

so i am not following this conversation well. if fireclean is just crisco AND it works well...why not just go to demoulas and buy crisco?

exactly, the stuff makes cleaning an AR bolt a breeze. I've never had a gun oil not work, i've used mobil one, atf/mobil mix, rem oil, clp... never tried frog lube, but I've really liked fire clean, it just makes the gun easier to clean. I will be buying crisco spray now, cuz that sounds even easier to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Why mix it?

detergents in atf help with cleaning or something like that.

Has anyone studied the effects of trans-fats on guns? Vegetable oil is full of them. I don't want my guns getting fat. Or cancer. Or fat cancer.

I'm interested to see if this proves out. Bought some FireClean a couple months ago because I do not like cleaning guns, and was willing to see if it really made it easier. Been too busy to shoot the hell out of them and find out.

From FireClean's FB

"We would like to address recent false or misleading allegations that range from simply misguided to false, defamatory, and libelous. blah, blah, blah...

They never said it wasn't Crisco.

Actually, they lost me as soon as I read this:

weapon reliability solution

You're supposed to clean and lubricate them?

They never said it wasn't Crisco.

Actually, they lost me as soon as I read this:

They said it was a "formulation" so it's Crisco + some food coloring [rofl]

It's not new practice, actually dental casting plaster is two very common and cheap ingredients, but it's sold for sky high prices. They mix in food coloring to make it "special" [laugh]

I really want to see these clowns file a bunch of lawsuits

Rest assured that we will defend our good name against false, defamatory and libelous allegations using the full measure of remedies available to us.

The blogger simply stated test results and other public info. Those fireclean dickheads should have jolly good time proving anything.

Also, I don't know who this Larry Vickers is, but he is a total tool making statements like "it's bringing something new to the table" I get it if he never tried crisco on his gun before, but making far reaching statement like this is some amazing shit that was never tried before just shows how much of these "experts" really know. So what else did he endorse? Obama?

I think when the dust settles on this LAV is going to wish he never endorsed it.

For some reason this also popped into my head...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom