• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is a 16 MOA Dot Too Big?

Broc

NES Member
I don't think so ... hard to take pics.

Bought a Cmore with a 16 MOA dot for $250. All others were $300, and changing the dot costs $50 so I figured why not go for 16, I can change the dot and end at $300.

Aiming at 10" plates, roughly 22 yards (at Westwood, whatever that distance is ... @richc ).

Anyway ...

Brightness #3

20230930_160917.jpg

Brightness #4

20230930_161000.jpg

Brightness 🌞 -- I think this dot burnt my eye in a dark room last night. Brightest Setting is hard to use without sun glasses.

20230930_161038.jpg

After Aimpoint, Cmore might have the roundest dot. I don't care about other opinions, they are invalid.

images (36).jpeg

Last edited:
I was feeling nostalgic and picked up a first gen Primary Arms micro that I had years back which came with a 5moa dot....proceeded to sell it the day after using it. 1 or 2 moa dots only for me on carbines.

How far are the plates out?
The furthest plate in steel challenge is 35 yards, 18"Ă—12" rectangle.

I have used 6 and 8 MOA. Both work, but 6 s*cks on sunny days.

The 16 is looking good, but I was thinking of going town to 12.

You could get away with a big one for sure

I went with an 8 after reading that's what the cool kids were using....coming from a 6 I can't say it mattered very much to me.

16 would be great if you found yourself needing to double-tap Godzilla in a dark alley ;-)

I went with an 8 after reading that's what the cool kids were using....coming from a 6 I can't say it mattered very much to me.

16 would be great if you found yourself needing to double-tap Godzilla in a dark alley ;-)
10 or 12 is where it is at. 6 to 8 makes very little difference.

Most of the cool kids are using 10 or 12.

Although, 10 shots at 15 yards is still pretty good. The black is a 3" circle. This is when I was sighting in the dot.

View attachment 801214

Then I moved the target to 20 yards. At 20 yards the dot was the size of the circle.
I was about to say, at 15yds the dot should be 2.5". That's perfect for a 3" paster.

For the shooting you're doing, 16MOA sounds like it would be great.

Is a 16 moa dot too big.
Not if you're shooting large "things" like elephants, tanks, apartment building......

Steel challenge, 35 yards max distance. Your 16 MOA dot is 5.6" on that plate. That is exactly what those Cmores are made for.
I'll try to find the article about how its more natural and quicker to center a large thing on a target than it is to center a small thing on a target. Their analogy was something about like a marble on a beachball vs a basketball on a beachball

Holosun has a 32 moa circle thats really great for plates

Circle inside the plate..pop and drop
I like the 20moa circle with the 2 dot that the 507 comp has for steel challenge
The 32 circle with 8 dot is nice too but I find the circle is a bit large for me especially on the 10" plates

I don't think so ... hard to take pics.

Bought a Cmore with a 16 MOA dot for $250. All others were $300, and changing the dot costs $50 so I figured why not go for 16, I can change the dot and end at $300.

Aiming at 10" plates, roughly 22 yards (at Westwood, whatever that distance is ... @richc ).

Anyway ...

Brightness #3

View attachment 801152

Brightness #4

View attachment 801151

Brightness 🌞 -- I think this dot burnt my eye in a dark room last night. Brightest Setting is hard to use without sun glasses.

View attachment 801150

After Aimpoint, Cmore might have the roundest dot. I don't care about other opinions, they are invalid.

View attachment 801153

Back when I shot pins on the reg everyone had these dots in their cmores, the best of the best ran them. Mind you the pins are at 25 feet typically. Do those things still chew up 1/3N batteries like they're going out of style? I saw guys changing those f***ing things constantly (not every match, but seemingly every other month or two) even though they would religiously turn off the dots when they were done. Great sights though. Had I stayed with optics on my pin-racegun I would have eventually gone with a cmore, but I basically nursed a shitty 30mm Trashco Pro Point that came with the gun for so long I ran it until the rotary switch detents actually wore out on the knob and I had to use electrical tape at matches to hold the setting otherwise the dot would shut itself off mid-relay... [rofl]

Are the big dots hard to use with old eyes?

I saw plenty of 50+ yr old dutes with big dots. Of course dots in general play havok with astigmatisms but astigmatisms are rarely the same in every person. In my case it was a focal length
thing. I get more dot distortion on my Aimpoint PRO on a typical rifle mount than I ever did from that trashco pro point. The dot was clean on that thing but it was also bigger and the focal distance wsa different from an AR to a 1911 with the trashco riding on an old Wiegand mount.

Back when I shot pins on the reg everyone had these dots in their cmores, the best of the best ran them. Mind you the pins are at 25 feet typically. Do those things still chew up 1/3N batteries like they're going out of style? I saw guys changing those f***ing things constantly (not every match, but seemingly every other month or two) even though they would religiously turn off the dots when they were done. Great sights though. Had I stayed with optics on my pin-racegun I would have eventually gone with a cmore, but I basically nursed a shitty 30mm Trashco Pro Point that came with the gun for so long I ran it until the rotary switch detents actually wore out on the knob and I had to use electrical tape at matches to hold the setting otherwise the dot would shut itself off mid-relay... [rofl]

I hope I don't have to change the battery that often on this one. The battery fits very tight, it was difficult to take it out (came with a dead battery) and difficult to put a new one in.

Back
Top Bottom