I'm a girl and can't buy a rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is a little background, I've got a Massachusetts LTC class A restricted hunting & target issued to me back in January 2008.

I am attending Harvard, MA Appleseed next month and I wanted my own Ruger 10/22 to have some fun with.
I went to Dicks Sporting Goods today to purchase my first firearms and I was extremely excited.

I get there and fill out the paper work, answer the same questions I was asked two years ago while filing my LTC paper work and afterwards the dude behind the counter calls NICS and comes back with a "delay" in my transaction.
What the heck does that mean?

Anyone know anything about a "delay" during a firearms transaction?

I am a 23 year old law abiding citizen. There is nothing I can think of that would delay my rights to owning a firearms....that is unless accidentally running a stop sign counts.

This happens from time to time. Just hope you don't get denied! (a huge can o worms!)
Apply for a unique pin number, this should end further delays.

Most of the time a delay means they have you confused with someone prohibited with owning a firearm. Most of the time it just gets bumped up to the supervisor and you're cleared. Not sure why Dick's operates differently than a real FFL. Probably some corporate policy. Others can answer that aspect of it better than me.

FWIW, I get delayed EVERY time I buy, but my FFL guy knows this and is patient enough to know he's going to have to speak to an additional person.

It could be as simple as the NICS system bogged down.

I've been delayed. I have plenty of guns. It don't mean nothing.

Best of luck with everything. I'm sure it was nothing serious, probably just a minor confusion. I hope this doesn't put a damper on things for you [wink]

So here is a little background, I've got a Massachusetts LTC class A restricted hunting & target issued to me back in January 2008.

I am attending Harvard, MA Appleseed next month and I wanted my own Ruger 10/22 to have some fun with.
I went to Dicks Sporting Goods today to purchase my first firearms and I was extremely excited.

I get there and fill out the paper work, answer the same questions I was asked two years ago while filing my LTC paper work and afterwards the dude behind the counter calls NICS and comes back with a "delay" in my transaction.
What the heck does that mean?

Anyone know anything about a "delay" during a firearms transaction?

I am a 23 year old law abiding citizen. There is nothing I can think of that would delay my rights to owning a firearms....that is unless accidentally running a stop sign counts.

Just make sure you call them back to make sure they stay on top of it and keep checking.

You should be fine if nothing is actually wrong.

I've been delayed due to having a name in common with someone with restrictions. Was just a 5 min delay and still walked out with my XDm 9 that same day.

Usually the NICS examiner will tell the salesman that unless the store receives a call back saying you are denied by a certain date, then you are allowed to come back and purchase your rifle.

That's not only "usual", it's the law. If the Brady law background check is not completed within three business days, the transfer can proceed at the FFL's discretion.

What you are referring to is the federal NICS check. When the store clerk calls in and reads your information to the NICS operator they plug it into the computer. If the computer raises any kind of flag they will say "this transaction requires further review."
As others have pointed out..
You are then transferred to an FBI agent who tries to determine if the red flag is about you. If the agent is unable to do so within a minute or so they will come back on the line and tell you the transaction has been delayed and that if you don't receive a proceed call within five days the store can proceed with the transaction. So, if this happened on Monday you could take possession of the gun Friday, unless it was denied

These things are almost never denied.

The pin number in this case of the federal NICS system is irrelevant. That pin number is for those who don't have social security numbers.

However, when you received your permit your city police should have sent you a six digit pin number. This is for the state approval. The purpose of this pin number is in case the store cannot obtain your fingerprint (which happens a lot). Without the fingerprint, the pin number is the only way you can purchase the gun. We recommend you put the pin number on your cell phone, NOT taped onto your permit.

The bottom line is that unless you hear from the gun store to the contrary, you are legally able to go ahead with the purchase on Friday

Last edited:
if you have a pretty common last name it is very probable that you will get a temp deny or a delay. as one of the previous posters suggested you can apply for a "UPIN" or a universal personal id number. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You should be fine. although IANAL. anything i say is probably retarded anyways. lol

True Dicks is a PITA. I tried to buy a 10/22 there and had to go 3 times, twice there "system" was locked out and no one know how to log in. The third time it took me an hour to get out of there. After you go through all the mandatory paper work you have to fill out Dick's sporting goods paper work. [rolleyes]

I've been delayed due to having a name in common with someone with restrictions.

If you have a common last name, it takes longer.
My last name is quite unique and always goes through right away.
I have a buddy whos last name is "White" and he always gets delayed.

That'll probably turn into a proceed, but you have to follow up on it, as the others state.

If it keeps happening you will want to apply for a fed UPIN. There is nothing more agitating than getting falsely delayed or denied.

In case you are wondering why this happens, it's because you've been ensnared in the shoddy background check hellhole known as NICS- the system that punishes more law abiding citizens than it does criminals.

-Mike

I try never to buy a firearm from Dick's . They somehow manage to make a simple 15 minute transaction take an hour or more.

When NICS first started, I was delayed every time. No big deal, I'd just wander the store for about 10-20 minutes (usually creating a nice pile of 'extras') and then my purchase would proceed.

Annoying, but not uncommon. About 5 years ago, they must have 'fixed' something because I've never had anything but a proceed since.

Wait,
Why are you buying a rifle at Dicks?

You can buy one in NH, pay 0 tax and probably get it for cheaper as well.

Dicks is a PITA.. I once had a guy at Dicks tell me that he wishes New Bedford wouldn't put sporting restrictions on LTC A's, because he can't sell them certain rifles.. So, I then had to lecture him on the fact that the restriction was relative to when you carry not what, a class A is a class A..
Screw em, and go somewhere else..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom