I'm a girl and can't buy a rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm debating on skipping Dick's all together and bringing my business elsewhere (possibly NH) now that I know it was just a clarification problem.

FWIW unless it was just a fluke due to some system being down, this problem might "follow" you, as the NICS system is pretty much the same everywhere for most intents and purposes. You won't really know if that's the case until you attempt to buy something again. If you get delayed again, I'd look into getting a UPIN from the feds.

-Mike

I do understand this is something that may follow me, but I'm just not a fan of Dick's and after all the recommendations I received I'm pretty interested in visiting a few of these new places.

:)

Last edited:
I do understand this is something that may follow me, but I'm just not a fan of Dick's and after all the recommendations I received I'm pretty interested in visiting a few of these new places.

:)

Can't say that I blame you on that front. There are a lot of good gun stores in MA and NH to visit, too.

-Mike

Congrats on the new rifle.

Make sure you get at least 3 extra magazines, you will need to be able to have 4 mags each loaded with 10 rounds during the Appleseed.

You'll also want most of the other stuff on the "what to bring list" put up on the Appleseed site. In addition to a cushioned mat for a ground cover, a 8 x 10 carpet under your mat is a good idea.

An Appleseed is a lot of fun.

Congrats on the new rifle.

Make sure you get at least 3 extra magazines, you will need to be able to have 4 mags each loaded with 10 rounds during the Appleseed.

You'll also want most of the other stuff on the "what to bring list" put up on the Appleseed site. In addition to a cushioned mat for a ground cover, a 8 x 10 carpet under your mat is a good idea.

An Appleseed is a lot of fun.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've done one Appleseed in Pelham, NH on Labor Day weekend and can't wait to do the next at Harvard, MA in November. I'm super psyched to have my own gun to play with this time around. [smile]

So I got a voicemail from the clerk at Dicks telling me that there was paperwork filed incorrectly and I need to come back in to correct it...

That place is beyond awful!

that sucks.

I was mulling over getting a 10/22 at dicks because its convenient, but not no way, no how anymore. I'll make the extra trip to a store that knows what they are doing.

So I got a voicemail from the clerk at Dicks telling me that there was paperwork filed incorrectly and I need to come back in to correct it...

tell them you are all set, and cancel the whole transaction..

If you've been to Pelham Fish & Game, you probably drove right by Collectors Firearms & Militia on Rt 38(Bridge St, Pelham). It's just over the line from Dracut Ma, and he has a storefront in N Chelmsford Ma as well. He's treated me very well.

I would not make the trip on that info alone. You need to have a real person talk to you over the phone and explain exactly what the problem is. If you don't understand and even if you do, have them send you a copy of the 4473. All the pages. Insist on it. You do have your copy of the FA10, right? Jack.

Back before I knew better, I had Dicks ALMOST transfer me the wrong gun! The clerk went into the back and came out with the cardboard carton for the rifle I was buying, the gun was on the rack in the store. The clerk did all of the paper work using the carton label to gather the information. After the transaction was complete, I checked the serial on the gun and the one recorded on the FA-10. Guess what ........... they were different. Luckily, the gun that matched the serial was also in the store and once he found it, I took that one.

Lesson learned .............. check that the numbers match and ALL the information is correct before you sign.

So jealous. That gun's not Mass. compliant.

The hi-cap restriction due to the need for brand new mags, would defeat the purpose of an XDm in my mind. You can find XD's in MA for sale now and then, I am teetering on the thought of letting one of my 40's go myself.

The hi-cap restriction due to the need for brand new mags, would defeat the purpose of an XDm in my mind. You can find XD's in MA for sale now and then, I am teetering on the thought of letting one of my 40's go myself.

I'd get an XD or XDm in 9mm if I could. But you're right. The 10 round cap would annoy the hell out of me since it's designed to hold so many more.

It'd be like getting a sports car and never riding it hard. Some kids I knew did that, and it was utter stupidity. They said they "liked how it looked'. Ok...

did you put your social security # on the 4473?? i rarely see delays when the buyer puts their social. i wouldnt worry about the transaction getting denied they seem to deny people at random. i think if the NICS examiner makes a type-O they flag it

did you put your social security # on the 4473?? i rarely see delays when the buyer puts their social. i wouldnt worry about the transaction getting denied they seem to deny people at random. i think if the NICS examiner makes a type-O they flag it

I did provide my social, but it was a proceed after about a day and a half of waiting.

So I took all this great information with me for my second purchase. This time for a Ruger SR9 at The Sportsmans Den in Quincy. Supporting a local gun shop is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately the delay "followed" me. Considering this happened with the rifle purchase I'm not concerned with the delay this time but I do think it is a smart idea to look into receiving a UPIN because it really is an inconvenience to have this happen all the time. The one mistake I made of all the good information on this thread was...I went on a Sunday and a rep for NICS isn't available to look over the delay transaction so I wasn't able to spend the extra 5/10 minutes browsing and still take the pistol that day. Note to self: next time if I don't have a UPIN, purchases will be made on weekdays.

First Defence in Uxbridge and C&F Guns in Middleborough are both worth checking out.

http://firstdefensefirearms.com/
http://www.candfguns.com/

Last edited:
If I were you I would do everything in my power to avoid getting a UPIN.

Why? I have a UPIN and my transactions go through fast now. I do not have to give them my SS# anymore so I am at less risk of ID theft.

Of course, it was a pain to get a UPIN. I needed to get printed and send in the form to whatever agency that was. A few weeks later I got a UPIN in the mail and now have it memorized.

Can you guys please explain the UPIN? When I was issued my license, they provided a PIN with it. Is that what you are referring to, or is this a different process/number? Thanks

Can you guys please explain the UPIN? When I was issued my license, they provided a PIN with it. Is that what you are referring to, or is this a different process/number? Thanks

The MA (MIRCS) PIN issued with your FID/LTC is generally only used if there is a problem with (or in the absence of) the fingerprint reader.

The Federal (NICS) UPIN is issued by the FBI to prevent a "delayed" response. It's explained here...

fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/vafbrocheng.pdf

Last time purchasing they asked for my last digits to my SS # - if I hadn't given it to them they would have denied it. There are over 30+ people w/ my name in this state!

For while my drivers license had issue for renewal due to my DUI in Ohio. Funny part to that is I am allergic to alcohol and never set foot in the state of Ohio!! There is a guy who has same name born on the same day as me. He is 6" taller than me, has middle initial and is of different race than me LOL. I got to know the govenor's office real well. Database has since changed and I am no longer flagged for drivers license. Thought that would be a funny story.

Last edited:

I would apply for one after the first (or likely, second) time I got delayed. Waiting and being treated as a second class citizen sucks. There's no real "abuse chain" with that program, either.... all it does is enable the NICS examiner to do their job faster.

-Mike

Last edited:
I've been delayed, but mine was cleared up before i even left the shop... hope it works out.

It should, this same thing happened with my last purchase. Unfortunately I went on a weekend so it wasnt able to get cleared up the same day. I have to wait for NICS to be back in the office to review the delayed transaction. Should be good to go in a day or two. Altho I should have realized going on a weekend wasnt the best idea since this has happened in the past. Lesson learned.

Sometimes I worry about things needlessly. I have never had a problem with a purchase in my life, but sometimes I walk in and when I go to make the purchase, there will be a problem. I have no reason to think like that as there wont br, but that is how my mind tends to operate. Its a royal PITA sometimes, haha.

Sometimes I worry about things needlessly. I have never had a problem with a purchase in my life, but sometimes I walk in and when I go to make the purchase, there will be a problem. I have no reason to think like that as there wont br, but that is how my mind tends to operate. Its a royal PITA sometimes, haha.

ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom