I'm a girl and can't buy a rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will take the heat for suggesting she put that in the title. Sorry everyone, but I didn't have the answers she was looking for.

Ed

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and information, it has certainly helped me feel better. I'll keep you all posted on the transaction.

Just make sure you call them back to make sure they stay on top of it and keep checking.

You should be fine if nothing is actually wrong.

Staying on top of them is right. The guy kept talking about maybe they'll call back, if not I should contact NICS, or NICS might call me or send me a letter. Never bothered to tell me that if the store does not receive a response I am still eligible to purchase. The clerk didnt even bother to take my phone number to contact me back on an update until I offered it to him. Clearly they're efficient there.

It's important to men [wink]

You got it! [smile]
It had nothing to do with being a girl, I just needed a tag line to catch attention. Blame edmorseiii, it was his idea [wink]

Any suggestions of where I should further make firearms purchases in southern Massachusetts? Because Dick's is certainly no longer getting my business.

I've bought 3 firearms from gun shops, and 2 have been delayed, and in both cases the ATF called a couple of days later and cleared me. It's just an inconvienience.

I was going to say, if that was a problem you would be shooting spit balls the NES shoots. [grin]

Hey!! [frown]

[wink][smile]

It's ok.. Everything that goes wrong with me is because I'm a girl.. [wink]

Well...[rolleyes]

Given the thread title, that last part just seems so wrong. [grin]

[laugh][laugh2] Some one got it.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and information, it has certainly helped me feel better. I'll keep you all posted on the transaction.

Staying on top of them is right. The guy kept talking about maybe they'll call back, if not I should contact NICS, or NICS might call me or send me a letter. Never bothered to tell me that if the store does not receive a response I am still eligible to purchase. The clerk didnt even bother to take my phone number to contact me back on an update until I offered it to him. Clearly they're efficient there.

You got it! [smile]
It had nothing to do with being a girl, I just needed a tag line to catch attention. Blame edmorseiii, it was his idea [wink]

Any suggestions of where I should further make firearms purchases in southern Massachusetts? Because Dick's is certainly no longer getting my business.

First Defense in Uxbridge.

I always got bumped to a supervisor. In the past year they started asking for my SS#. I was always approved but it took like 3 minutes instead of right away. Now, instead of giving my SS#, I use a UPIN.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70400&highlight=trouble+nics

One of those posts has the website with a number to call for the application.

You need to send in the app with fingerprints.

The UPIN# you will get has numbers and letters. Maybe 10 digits or so. I keep my number with me all the time. It is in a super secret cypher in my cell phone. Your state PIN you might need to know too. That one I memorized.

Good Luck at Appleseed. I went 2x and will go many more because it is so much fun.

She's in attleboro. The cost of gas would negate any savings.

Unless she's driving a bus or an H1, she'll probably still save a little, unless she's just buying a gun shop trash can type rifle that costs a couple hundred bucks or less.

I drive over an hour each way to get to a couple shops I use in NH.... I'd still be going to those shops even if I lived on the cape.

There's something immensely satisfying about being able to stick my middle finger up at the "welcome to massachusetts" sign as I cross the border.

-Mike

The pin number in this case of the federal NICS system is irrelevant. That pin number is for those who don't have social security numbers.
Incorrect.

The UPIN in the federal system is an identification number assigned to an individual who has been denies, successfully appealed the denial, and has requested a file (the VAF - Voluntary Appeal file) be created to enable them to make future purchases without a repeat of the "deny-appeal-get approved" process. The buyer with the problem fills out a form requesting a voluntary file be created establishing that they are not the bad guy they are confused with, and are issued a UPIN for use in future transactions so that their approved status may be quickly confirmed.

Details at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/lettertoffls.htm

Some other places to buy guns:

- AFS in No. Attleboro

- Zero Hour Arms on the Easton/W. Bridgewater line - mostly EBRs, hard-to-find guns

- First Defense in Uxbridge

why did you go to Dick's? thats the last place i would go for a gun , most big corporates are anti-OC i am from PA and it is a problem here.

support your local gun shops stay away from these big stores, they aint worth the aggravation.

FYI I was at Cabela's in E. Hartford last night at that same time. They were having trouble getting results from the system, too. I might have been down for some reason thus causing the delay. I suspect it'll be just fine.

Rome

So here is a little background, I've got a Massachusetts LTC class A restricted hunting & target issued to me back in January 2008.

I am attending Harvard, MA Appleseed next month and I wanted my own Ruger 10/22 to have some fun with.
I went to Dicks Sporting Goods today to purchase my first firearms and I was extremely excited.

I get there and fill out the paper work, answer the same questions I was asked two years ago while filing my LTC paper work and afterwards the dude behind the counter calls NICS and comes back with a "delay" in my transaction.
What the heck does that mean?

Anyone know anything about a "delay" during a firearms transaction?

I am a 23 year old law abiding citizen. There is nothing I can think of that would delay my rights to owning a firearms....that is unless accidentally running a stop sign counts.
I got "delayed" when purchasing my Ruger KM77 .308 rifle last year. The dealer told me that the problem is usually the MA system being "down" and the NICS system cannot access it. Usually, the delay is only for a day or so. If, after 4 business days, the dealer doesn't hear back from the FBI, then the gun can be sold to you by default. The next day, Riley's called me and told me to come back to pick up my firearm.

Another vote for First Defense in Uxbridge.

CLMN

I have never had an issue buying any type of firearms.

I 3rd the recommendation for First Defense in Uxbridge, MA Dennis and Shelly are awesome and that is where I bought my 10/22 (in pink) They are both willing to take time and help anyone that walks into their shop.

Bass Pro has been pretty good to me also. You do have to step and ask most of the time for assistance but the guys behind the counter know the look when you want to touch something but really shouldn't because you might spend money you don't have.

The bf has been delayed a few times and usually a few days go by and then he gets a call. But we have only bought from local shops so they are a bit more customer friendly and willing to make sure that customer comes back.

Good Luck!

I think the name itself " Dick's " speaks volume.

Nothing more to add.

Delays are common now adays I know several dealers that IF you get delayed they just tell you to come back next week and pick up your gun. I know one dealer who sold a few pistols to a guy over a several month period who was delayed every time. He said after like 6 months they called and relased his hold. [thinking]

Another for Dennis and Shelly at First. They've been getting all my gun-money since I discovered the store. If they don't have it in stock, they can likely get it in a week.

Kind of a mantra I'm getting from you.......

jamster-simpsons-homer.jpg

In before Derek: Need pictures!

You can also try Bob's or Sparky's in Webster, though Uxbridge is probably closer for you. I still say save the tax and get ammo, gas, groceries, tires, a TV, and booze while you are in NH getting the 10/22 and some foliage viewing.

I got a phone call and its....

PROCEED!!!
ffeewww I was getting nervous there for a minute.

Thanks for all the helpful answers it certainly helped me not worry to to much.

Now I'm debating on skipping Dick's all together and bringing my business elsewhere (possibly NH) now that I know it was just a clarification problem.

I got a phone call and its....

PROCEED!!!
ffeewww I was getting nervous there for a minute.

Thanks for all the helpful answers it certainly helped me not worry to to much.

Now I'm debating on skipping Dick's all together and bringing my business elsewhere (possibly NH) now that I know it was just a clarification problem.

Congrats on the new rifle!

Just remember, driving hours to NH, buying an new rifle, and getting the dreaded "DELAY" is a royal PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom