I need a spotting scope

At 300+ yards, you're going to use your spotting scope to read wind/mirage conditions and see the shot markers. Do not expect to see holes at that distance even with the most expensive offering. Ideally, someone is in the pits pulling and marking the target for you, or even better, the targets are electronic and just look over at your phone or tablet. A Kowa 82SV with the angled eyepiece is the gold standard of buy one cry once in terms of spotting scopes. A tripod works. but not well. Ideally, you don't want to break your position to look through the spotting scope.

View: https://imgur.com/1oqDPSK

^^This^^. Regardless of the price/quality of glass you buy, atmospheric conditions will make it impossible to clearly see objects (targets/bullet holes, etc.) beyond 300 yds. Of course, perfectly still and dry air will be the exception, but that just isn't going to be the VAST majority of conditions any of us will be shooting in. When you start shooting beyond 300 yds, you're going to need to learn to read wind/mirage. You don't focus on the plane of the target for that, but rather various distances shorter than the distance to the target to read wind conditions on the way to the target. For that, you don't need the biggest scope (large optics gather more light, so if you intend to use the spotting scope in twilight conditions, go as big as you can afford), but you DO need clear glass. Unfortunately, that usually means more cost. You may end up using your scope to read wind/mirage for yourself, or to partner with another shooter to make wind calls for them. As @dw617 wrote, Kowa's (and large Kowa's) are the gold standard you tend to see in matches for these purposes (and reading/calling scores). Interestingly, it is also common to see smaller scopes for the wind calling activities that have really clear glass (scopes like the Vortex Razor 11-33x50). Recommend also paying attention to the previous advice around buy once cry once. I went the other way as a novice and ended up purchasing several scopes as each revealed its inadequacy. (Scopes like Nikon Prostaff 3 [garbage], Athlon Argos [decent, but "milky" image compared to better glass], Vortex Razor [plenty clear and bright for most uses out to 500yds, and wind calling well beyond that], Kowa [Yes, just yes for anything OTHER than portability]). The balance, however, is that what you need is advised by the maximum requirements of how you will use it.

For most uses, I can't recommend the little Vortex Razor highly enough, and for $600-800 retail, it is comparable to much more expensive scopes. Good luck to you, and have fun with your pursuit of mid to long range shooting!!

Last edited:
At 300+ yards, you're going to use your spotting scope to read wind/mirage conditions and see the shot markers. Do not expect to see holes at that distance even with the most expensive offering. Ideally, someone is in the pits pulling and marking the target for you, or even better, the targets are electronic and just look over at your phone or tablet. A Kowa 82SV with the angled eyepiece is the gold standard of buy one cry once in terms of spotting scopes. A tripod works. but not well. Ideally, you don't want to break your position to look through the spotting scope.

View: https://imgur.com/1oqDPSK

He’s taking a rifle class so there likely won’t be any pits, nor needing to see holes in paper. He’ll probably be hitting steel and using the spotting scope to check hits for other shooters.

… I also need a small tripod for use when prone. I want something quality, but am I going to be trying out for Seal Team 6 or FBI HRT? No. So maybe something middle of the road price-wise.

You don’t necessarily need a small tripod. Just one that can lock the legs out horizontal. And if you don’t go for a small one, you can then extend it and use it while standing to call hits for others shooting with you. It’s critical to get a good head for the tripod though.
2B14203B-19F8-4CD9-BDE0-EE92BCC6826A.jpeg

He’s taking a rifle class so there likely won’t be any pits, nor needing to see holes in paper. He’ll probably be hitting steel and using the spotting scope to check hits for other shooters.
Hi, understood. My post didn't assume that he would buy a scope only for the one class. If that is OP's intent, please reconsider or you'll make the same mistakes I wrote about above. If OP is taking a class re: shooting at up to 600 yds, I assumed he would be subsequently practicing or shooting at ranges over 300 yds, and purchasing a scope that will permit things like observing hits (under ideal atmospheric conditions) and wind calling that will be necessary at such ranges would be advisable, both functionally and economically. If I misunderstood, forgive me.

I use a kowa 883. I can see 308 holes at 300. Probably much further if I were to use splatter targets. Only worth the money though if you go to the range a lot, hunt open areas and/or want to digiscope. We do ask three. I had a cheap one years ago for the range. It was useless.

Good glass is worth it's weight in gold. And they hold their value too.

How about this?

670030i_ts.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B01B7OYN1YView: https://smile.amazon.com/Caldwell-Ballistic-Precision-Waterproof-Construction/dp/B01B7OYN1Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1HLRYZXXDOHKD&keywords=target+camera+system+shooting&qid=1666340528&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjM0IiwicXNhIjoiMi45NCIsInFzcCI6IjEuMzcifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=target+camera%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-1#customerReviews

Hi, understood. My post didn't assume that he would buy a scope only for the one class. If that is OP's intent, please reconsider or you'll make the same mistakes I wrote about above. If OP is taking a class re: shooting at up to 600 yds, I assumed he would be subsequently practicing or shooting at ranges over 300 yds, and purchasing a scope that will permit things like observing hits (under ideal atmospheric conditions) and wind calling that will be necessary at such ranges would be advisable, both functionally and economically. If I misunderstood, forgive me.
Agreed. I actually agree with a lot of your post. Other than I think people can get by with cheaper spotting scopes and still read the wind.

My main point was that dw617 seemed to be projecting his shooting sport onto the OP. And the class indicates a different type of shooting intent.

I have a 60x celestron. I can see . 30 cal holes at a max of 200 meters when i shoot at a white paper plate. I may or may not be able to see . 223 holes at the same distance. The glass clarity on the celestron is poor. As you dial out in magnification you loose brightness. You need a bright sunny day to see clearly. Forget about seeing 200 yds in fog. The celestron is cheap, it gets the job done , but barely.

Lock Range: 800 yards. One and done 🤔

Lock Range: 800 yards. One and done 🤔

so that thing claims to see better than my own eyes, at 800yds? really? with an operational time of 3hrs? for 10 grand? suuuure.

👍 Don't know if this was a joke, and a little off-topic for spotting scopes, but...

I recently invested in a similar system from Longshot. [Prepare for rationalizations for buying this expensive toy:] I have been doing a lot of practicing on 500-1k yd ranges, have developed arthritis in my hips, and don't have a vehicle I can use to drive out to the targets. Camera allows me to set up targets and read my hits without a partner. One walk out to set up, one walk out to retrieve camera and I'm done. At those ranges, reliably seeing even 30 cal holes on many targets is difficult/impossible even with a good spotting scope (and my riflescope is easily as good as a spotting scope for this purpose anyway). The ability to mark shots also allows me to shoot up the target and not lose track of the new holes, so I get a lot more target time per paper. Lastly, and unexpectedly, these are really good for shorter range target reading with .22LR. Expensive, but great for target reading at 200 yds with .22.

These are clearly not "necessary", but great training tools in the right situation. [end rationalizations] [wink]

I have an older Nikon and I can see 5.56 and .30 holes at 300 pretty reliably, 400yds+ ain't happening though unless I'm shooting .50 BMG.

How good can your eyes see at 800 yards?

Can we define "good"?
at the 800yds, with a 25x scope i do see something, as mirage permits - not much at all, but, some.
i just do not think any electronic mumbo-jumbo can do it better than i can. and a 3hrs battery life is a joke.

at the 800yds, with a 25x scope i do see something, as mirage permits - not much at all, but, some.
i just do not think any electronic mumbo-jumbo can do it better than i can. and a 3hrs battery life is a joke.
The electronic mumbo-jumbo can do it better. You put the camera down range up close to the target. The camera connects wirelessly to the tablet sitting next to you. So the camera is not trying to look through 800 yards of atmosphere, unlike a spotting scope.

A different approach if the trainer allows it would be a target camera - I use an older version of what is now sold as a Longshot at 300 yds. That's the range limit for their cheapest model ($250) but the next model up is good for 2 miles with a repeater station. That one is about $900. Connects to smart phone or tablet and has a shot marking and group size function. You could literally see a fly spec on a target or if your shot touched a line or not at 300 yds or 2 miles.

The electronic mumbo-jumbo can do it better. You put the camera down range up close to the target. The camera connects wirelessly to the tablet sitting next to you. So the camera is not trying to look through 800 yards of atmosphere, unlike a spotting scope.
what?
we talk about this, whatever this shit is, looks like a stormtrooper something, but no description on the site. i presume it is a scope.

what?
we talk about this, whatever this shit is, looks like a stormtrooper something, but no description on the site. i presume it is a scope.
I'm talking about this:

Amazon product ASIN B01B7OYN1YView: https://smile.amazon.com/Caldwell-Ballistic-Precision-Waterproof-Construction/dp/B01B7OYN1Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1HLRYZXXDOHKD&keywords=target+camera+system+shooting&qid=1666340528&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjM0IiwicXNhIjoiMi45NCIsInFzcCI6IjEuMzcifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=target+camera%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-1#customerReviews

Ok, you are no seeing becuase of your eyes, you are seeing because of the scope.

If your eyes are sh*t and you are not correcting that, every scope will be junk.

Ok, you are no seeing becuase of your eyes, you are seeing because of the scope.

If your eyes are sh*t and you are not correcting that, every scope will be junk.
so you saying that electric POS is seeing stuff better than my bad eyes? :)

I need a spotting scope for an intermediate range (7-600yd) rifle class. I know next to nothing about spotting scopes or longer-range shooting. What are good brands, features and magnification for this range? I also need a small tripod for use when prone. I want something quality, but am I going to be trying out for Seal Team 6 or FBI HRT? No. So maybe something middle of the road price-wise.

Thanks, and let the thread drift, "DUPE!" posts and other shenanigans begin.
To get back to the original post, I'd ask the instructors what they are expecting you to do with the spotting scope: read mirage? score targets? see bullet holes? confirm hits on a steel targets? What do they recommend for a scope?
Hate to see somebody go out and spend good money on something that might not be the right tool for the job.
See if you can borrow one for this class.

so you saying that electric POS is seeing stuff better than my bad eyes? :)
The TrackingPoint device is a targeting system - it doesn't allow the trigger to release until the sights are actually aligned with the target, based on all the ballistic data you're calculating for. It doesn't care what you can or cannot see at whatever range.

The person who posted it was making a joke, because the entire system claims to make shooting skills obsolete. I'm sure next time they'll use this clip to create needless tangents.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyhR1THflUU

And to further add , weather you have a cheap Celestron or a $2k Zeiss if your trying to spot in a heavy dense crosswind your NOT going to see clearly out of either. Winds vibrating your scope is a problem.
A high quality tripod can help a lot. @APFSDS , check out the sirui line of tripods. It will cost a few hundred bucks but worth it. I use a panhead with my scope. And it is great for hunting.

A high quality tripod can help a lot. @APFSDS , check out the sirui line of tripods. It will cost a few hundred bucks but worth it. I use a panhead with my scope. And it is great for hunting.
Hanging a 12# block of lead off my tripod helped quite a bit. The 200 meter range at my gun club was hell for a crosswind especially in the colder months.

I need a spotting scope for an intermediate range (7-600yd) rifle class. I know next to nothing about spotting scopes or longer-range shooting. What are good brands, features and magnification for this range? I also need a small tripod for use when prone. I want something quality, but am I going to be trying out for Seal Team 6 or FBI HRT? No. So maybe something middle of the road price-wise.

Thanks, and let the thread drift, "DUPE!" posts and other shenanigans begin.
What are you expecting to do with said scope.
Is packability and mobility a issue?
Dont get fooled by Magnification
Clarity and Resolution is what you need
Also Eye Relief - a cheap scope, most scopes are going to loose alot of resolution on higher MagX and you need to plant your eye ball right on top of the lens.

Highpower/service rifle shooters are often using LER lens at 25-27x and they are not looking for bullet holes.
They are checking wind and shot shot spotter on the target.

Find out what you need from the scope and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom