I need a spotting scope

APFSDS

NES Member
I need a spotting scope for an intermediate range (7-600yd) rifle class. I know next to nothing about spotting scopes or longer-range shooting. What are good brands, features and magnification for this range? I also need a small tripod for use when prone. I want something quality, but am I going to be trying out for Seal Team 6 or FBI HRT? No. So maybe something middle of the road price-wise.

Thanks, and let the thread drift, "DUPE!" posts and other shenanigans begin.

the cheapest usable one is this - should be around $180 or so on a proper deal. $208 is so-so.
Amazon product ASIN B0002CTZ70View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002CTZ70

it is usable up to 300yds to see 223 and 308 holes. not great by any standard.

then it would be a set of vortexes of different kinds - diamondback ($400), viper ($900), razor ($1500).
and then higher end things, swarovskis, leupolds, who knows what else all in $1500-$2000 realm.

i am a poor skinflint, so use the celestron. not too happy about it, but it works. prism in it is ok-ish, but the eyepiece magnifier plain sucks.

for 600yds i would think you need something at least of a viper or up, means $1000+ models. you not gonna see much at 600yds anyway due to mirage etc.

High power shooters typically use a spotting scope with an angled eye piece and a target stand like this that they can use standing, seated, or prone.

Dunno if that would work for you.
i would rather use a heavy manfrotto photo tripod for a $1000 piece of glass.
but i have plenty of those already, tripods i mean.

I bought a china grade 60X spotting scope from Konus. You ain’t seeing small holes in paper beyond 250 yards.
At 600 you better be spending some money if you want to see more than just a hunk of paper.
Yeah, small holes at distance requires good glass, particularly if the target is in shade.

I wonder if pinty makes one

Actually...

I have one sitting at home I bought on a whim, haven't tried it out yet.

You are a spotter for someone while they shoot and vice versa, so maybe it's to see blatant misses at longer range? Where the dirt is kicked up? I'm not sure, the longest I have shot was 300 yards at an appleseed shoot. I don't want to spend 1000+ dollars on this if possible, I would rather take another training class or put it toward NODs, but I will if it's necessary.

You are a spotter for someone while they shoot and vice versa, so maybe it's to see blatant misses at longer range? Where the dirt is kicked up? I'm not sure, the longest I have shot was 300 yards at an appleseed shoot. I don't want to spend 1000+ dollars on this if possible, I would rather take another training class or put it toward NODs, but I will if it's necessary.
Can you reach out to the instructor, then, and ask for clarification? Say exactly what you did in this post...

the cheapest usable one is this - should be around $180 or so on a proper deal. $208 is so-so.
Amazon product ASIN B0002CTZ70View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002CTZ70

then it would be a set of vortexes of different kinds - diamondback ($400), viper ($900), razor ($1500).
and then higher end things, swarovskis, leupolds, who knows what else all in $1500-$2000 realm.

i am a poor skinflint, so use the celestron. not too happy about it, but it works. prism in it is ok-ish, but the eyepiece magnifier plain sucks.

for 600yds i would think you need something at least of a viper or up, means $1000+ models. you not gonna see much at 600yds anyway due to mirage etc.
I have one of those when I needed a cheap scope. I had to use splatter targets at roughly 350, and that what for 45/70 on a clear day.

At 300+ yards, you're going to use your spotting scope to read wind/mirage conditions and see the shot markers. Do not expect to see holes at that distance even with the most expensive offering. Ideally, someone is in the pits pulling and marking the target for you, or even better, the targets are electronic and just look over at your phone or tablet. A Kowa 82SV with the angled eyepiece is the gold standard of buy one cry once in terms of spotting scopes. A tripod works. but not well. Ideally, you don't want to break your position to look through the spotting scope.

View: https://imgur.com/1oqDPSK

I have had this one a number of years and its fine.

Sunday morning rifle competitions at my range are scored by having someone drive down to the target stands and come back with the targets. I know this because that was my work assignment when I joined. 😁

Several of the previous recommendations are very good. I'd like to add Nightforce to the mix: Spotting Scope - Nightforce Optics

A lot of times when I skip over the "buy once, cry once" program, I regret it. I expect you could get a lot of use out of Nightforce at the range or in the field. I bought the TS-80 model which currently only has accessories listed. The TS-82 is only 2 millimeters wider in diameter but, at least at the time of my purchase, was something like $300 more IIRC.

I'm not sure what "middle of the road" means to you. I have a Nikon EDG Fieldscope 65A, and for 600 yards it would likely be a marginal choice. The Vortex Razor mentioned above is a larger diameter scope for less money.

NO scope will see .224 bullet holes in all conditions at all yard lines. MOST will see holes at 100 yards. SOME will see holes at 200. FEW will see holes at 300, and even then, in only certain optimal conditions.

If $800 is in the budget, there is an option that will see .224 holes out to 1000 yards and beyond. It's called the Shotmarker Target system.

I have the same one. It seems fine for my uses, I just try not to expect too much from it.
100 is tad better than my 80, but has same weak eyepiece. There is a way to upgrade that, with baader Hyperion one, but, it will be some $$$.

Using splash targets at our 300yds range I have no issues to see .223 or 6mm holes.

100 is tad better than my 80, but has same weak eyepiece. There is a way to upgrade that, with baader Hyperion one, but, it will be some $$$.

Using splash targets at our 300yds range I have no issues to see .223 or 6mm holes.
Makes sense. The most I've ever asked of mine was to spot my .30-06 at the 200, at which it was fine. I'm sure someday I'll try to ask more of my gear, but before that happens I'll probably (personally) make excuses to upgrade.

I got one of those as a gift and it is really great in bright light, for the price of course. I was surprised how nice it is on a bright day. Darker days less so, but it definitely gets the job done.

Back
Top Bottom