how do you hold your ar?

boscru

NES Member
relatively new to the ar. started with carbine length, and recently purchased a mid length figuring the added couple of inches would help stabilize the rifle on target aquisition. tried it out this morning ( beautiful way to start out thanksgiving day--great weather). so it was just ok vs the shorter handguards. then i notice a shooter next to me using his left hand on the mag well instead of the handguard. we talk a bit, i try it for a few rounds, and it has promise. using the magwell allowed me to tuck the left elbow into the torso. i'm talking standing position of course, bench rest is easy to hold steady. is this something some of you folks do?? should i also look at quad rail with forward vertical grip??

Like this.

FF5094DA-8D2F-42CC-A4A6-7980AE8E870B-2146-000002342E7D6340_zps657c25c0.jpg

you dont need a quad rail you can drop in a magpul grip on the cheap and attach a vertical grip. you can do a quad rail however if you go the rail route I would strongly suggest looking into keymod rails. Very light, slim and user friendly compared to traditional quad rails.

I personally hate grabbing the mag well i feel its off balance. I am a big fan of the vertical grips and I put them a couple inches out to get a better balance on the riffle.

Is that the correct way for an AK? At the mag?

The correct way to hold and shoot a rifle is the way that you can get effective hits as fast as possible. I hold mine different then Cloverleaf, and he holds his different then others.

I use a Magpul AFG. I don't like holding the magwell. Even though you can tuck the elbow holding the well you've really shortened the support radius and it's more fatiguing to pull the rifle into your shoulder the closer you get your arm to your body.

Beyond that, using the magwell removes the ability to properly use your sling for added support by wrapping your arm around it.

3 gun like this. If you have a Carbine AR with something like a regular Handguard then under it. AK's I hold the correct way at the Mag.]

Is that the correct way for an AK? At the mag?

I use the lower handguard. Pretty much why they're called handguards because that's where your hand goes. :D

Last edited:
Generally speaking, in higher regard than an AK - unless you want to be technical, then I use 2 hands.

Unless of course I'm in full "Lead Farmer" ReTard pose - and then I'm double fisting demsumbitches

[video=youtube_share;j22CGzs5Vik]http://youtu.be/j22CGzs5Vik[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

Chris Costa is just marketing $

when i am trying to be precise, i use the shoulder strap wrapped around my left arm, left hand on the barrel the strap kind of locks my left arm to steady the rifle even more.

It depends on the type of shot I'm trying to make. For slow fire at distance, I'll bring my support hand in close so I can rest my tricep on my torso for additional support. This puts my support hand right at the slip ring between the hand guard and the upper receiver.

For shorter shots with rapid fire, or when wearing body armor, I'll square up to the target and put my support hand further out toward the muzzle. This reduces bone support but allows you to shift your aim faster from one target to another.

All of this assumes you're shooting unsupported and aren't using any sort of barricade or cover.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

do you use a buttstock for your butt? lol , had to

I shoot this way 99% of the time. But what do these Russians know?...(sarcasm)
View attachment 151951View attachment 151952View attachment 151953

Yeah yeah yeah. [laugh]

I've seen Russian soldiers hold AKs by both the magwell and foregrip. This guy uses what I consider the correct way. [wink]

2012__09__AK-47-380x259.jpg

It all comes down to what you feel more comfortable with. Myself, I don't like using the magwell because I feel it doesn't offer enough stability with the rifle, especially in close quarters situations.

Yeah yeah yeah. [laugh]

I've seen Russian soldiers hold AKs by both the magwell and foregrip. This guy uses what I consider the correct way. [wink]

2012__09__AK-47-380x259.jpg

It all comes down to what you feel more comfortable with. Myself, I don't like using the magwell because I feel it doesn't offer enough stability with the rifle, especially in close quarters situations.
Bingo

Locking your elbow straight out and doing the thumb over grip is YouTube shit. Try holding your average carbine in the Costa grip for 5 minutes comfortably, you can't do it, even if you crossfit.

Last edited:
i'm not big on shooting off hand in the first place...I would try to find support in just about any situation. In the Marine Corps, we have 10 shots of rapid fire from 200 yards in the standing position that count toward our annual qualification, and it's usually what separates the crossed rifles from the pizza boxes.

for accuracy, I use what is called the 'olympic method' where you actually twist your hand around 180 degrees from what is normal and cup the lower handguard...it's uncomfortable and awkward as shit, but when resting your arms between shots it really starts to make sense. it allows you to keep your hands in the same position while shooting and at rest so all you have to concentrate on when you bring the rifle back up to your eye is your cheek meet/sight picture.

like this.
images

once again, that is for ACCURACY...if i'm sprayin and prayin, i'm just gonna grab the fricken thing however it ends up in my hands...and if i have the option at the time, i might use my other hand to go hadji style and double fist me some killy things.

like this
images

Back
Top Bottom