• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How big of a deal is printing?

6'4", 285. Jeans and t-shirt almost exclusively outside work. Full-size 1911 with a 10 round McCormick power mag (just that little bit larger) and sometimes IWB (in the car), sometimes OWB (on the bike) pretty much 330-400 location, depends on where the belt loops are. Supertuck IWB, Bianchi OWB. IDGAF about printing. And most of my t-shirts are Pro-2a so it's pretty much a given (if you're thinking) that I'm carrying. Still DGAF.

And that on top of that bright yellow jeep you drive too haha....

If I recall correctly, the laws passed in 2014 included a part that nothing could be done to you if your otherwise concealed firearm was inadvertently exposed.

Also, people don't notice. I have been standing in a parking lot with my gun hanging out and even a cop looking directly at me never noticed.

No meat gazing .

It is a bit of a challenge though. Ran into a dad at a park we frequent who was printing. A lot. He spotted the fact that I spotted it and almost left with his son.

I said something to the effect of I didn't care what junk he had haning out. He laughed. Then got the joke and stayed.

It happens, but minimizing it is key.

The most likely person to spot your print is another no leo scared citizen trying to stay under the scare-dar. Those aren't the people who will be calling the popo on ya.

No meat gazing .

It is a bit of a challenge though. Ran into a dad at a park we frequent who was printing. A lot. He spotted the fact that I spotted it and almost left with his son.

I said something to the effect of I didn't care what junk he had haning out. He laughed. Then got the joke and stayed.

It happens, but minimizing it is key.

The most likely person to spot your print is another no leo scared citizen trying to stay under the scare-dar. Those aren't the people who will be calling the popo on ya.
Really printing or knowing what to look for.

CLEO gave you the ticket to carry. Does anyone really think he expected you to carry it in a handbag?

We are not talking about blatant open carry.

This. Most people probably assume phone, medical device of some sort, happy meal shoved into your pants...something.
Lol...most people dont even look.

When is the last time you stared at some dudes waist for a while?

OP, an easy test...go to a family reunion or friend get together, carry, but dont tell anyone. You will see no one notices. And these are people that know you and will spend some time around you.

The average dude/woman on the street that sees you for 2 seconds wont notice a thing.

In the space of like 15 something years I think I was made exactly twice and once really didn't count because it was in New Hampshire- and it was another gun guy who started a discussion about guns LOL.... the other time was at a restaurant and, after dinner, my ex commented that the lady behind us in the restaurant- her eyes became as big as saucers when I raised my arms in the air to stretch.... I guess the butt of my USP stuck out and she saw the whole thing LOL... (and it was owb, just a shirt draped over it) I don't think she called the waffen-ss on me because she probably figured out that if I was sitting in the restaurant stuffing my face with salad and pasta that I probably wasn't going to rob the place or something....

Quite honestly though most people are 110% oblivious... even a partial or half print won't be spotted by most people. Just be aware that other people and off-duty or plainclothes Leo's will spot crap concealment right away but they probably won't say a damn thing to you LOL.... IMO the only time that having strict concealment is going to be an issue is if you're carrying in an area that's sensitive but not necessarily legally restricted....

Perhaps the best piece of advice that I could give anybody with regards to concealment it would be to never mess with your gun. The only time you should be thinking about it at all is as if you completely blew concealment somehow otherwise the more you ignore it the more everybody else will... on the other hand if you constantly act like a nervous nellie adjusting your shirt or looking down where it is etcetera, that's a ton of subconscious tells to anyone around you that you're trying to hide something. Quite simply I'll put it this way- I don't act any differently when I'm carrying a gun vs when I'm not.....

A good belt is also very important, but how you act as stated before is what gets you extra attention.
If you are carrying legally, there should be no problem, unless you are in a place where you shouldn't be with a weapon.

fah3y2ft2pujwxauk83g.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any record of anyone calling the police on anyone, that was printing. Especially in Massachusetts just curious.
It's definitely happened. Guy I know had someone call the cops on him in Boston - they checked his LTC and he was on his way.

On days when I don't think my shirt is not covering well or where I will be moving in ways that may expose me more, I put a cargo vest on. Even in summer I have a couple of thin vests from Columbia that aren't tactical in any way but do the job.

I confidently IWB carry M&P Shield in Rawdog Tactical at 4:00. Tried few other brands and style options of holsters but found this is my most comfortable. No issues printing. Very comfortable while driving & sitting as well as standing and walking. Weapon is securely holstered while retrieval is swift and true.

On days when I don't think my shirt is not covering well or where I will be moving in ways that may expose me more, I put a cargo vest on. Even in summer I have a couple of thin vests from Columbia that aren't tactical in any way but do the job.
Everyone knows you're carrying if you're wearing a vest in the summer. You're better off with a short-sleeve button-down.

You do know that another name for cargo vest is "shoot me first", right?
You might try an oversize short sleeve button down instead. It may look sloppy, but it doesn't look "tactical".

EDITED: And I see that Kalash has the exact same thoughts, just earlier...

You do know that another name for cargo vest is "shoot me first", right?
You might try an oversize short sleeve button down instead. It may look sloppy, but it doesn't look "tactical".

EDITED: And I see that Kalash has the exact same thoughts, just earlier...

I'm a fat white bald guy with a beard. It's already a given.

How is that holster for speed of removal?

That flap reminds me a lot of Josey Wales, "Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie"?
A bit awkward, but not terrible. A much easier draw that pulling the gun you left in the safe for fear of printing.

I don't trust clip on holsters, so I ordered the belt loop model. Sign up for the Sneaky Pete email and they will send you a 15% off code.

In the 80's when I carried in Haverhill, people would stop me in the street and ask me questions like I was a cop.

That, and the other people who noticed were the kind of people you might need to warn off anyway.

I'm a big guy 6'1" 250/260lbs I have tried a few holsters from alien gear to rawdog with my XD-E 9MM . All conceal well but the butt prints a bit on my back. I usually end up around 4 oclock position. Am I worrying too much about some printing?
lose75 pounds

Another vote for "I used to be overly nervous about it when I first started carrying but now I don't care."

A good belt is also very important, but how you act as stated before is what gets you extra attention.
If you are carrying legally, there should be no problem, unless you are in a place where you shouldn't be with a weapon.

View attachment 236385

Guilty of almost everything in the top two rows [laugh] (nothing in the bottom row).

Awesome feedback I tend to not mind the printing, I was more curious about how much other people deal with it and if it can be as problem. Thanks for the input

Awesome feedback I tend to not mind the printing, I was more curious about how much other people deal with it and if it can be as problem. Thanks for the input
Start buying t-shirts a size up from what you normally wear, preferably in dark colors and/or patterns. In the summer, I like casual short-sleeve button-downs over a t-shirt. In the fall, sweaters and sweatshirts are great at concealing.

Is there any record of anyone calling the police on anyone, that was printing. Especially in Massachusetts just curious. I actually worry sometimes with a t shirt on and a Glock 19 with a light is going to print.
The other way to look at this is that in Stalag Massachusetts, most people "assume" that nobody has a gun anyways .. And if they do they either "must be a cop"... or they're another whackjob who was recently released by a wingnut Judge, so no point in "calling it in" anyways...(since the maggot will only be back out on the street by tomorrow mid-morning at the latest, and gunning for whoever dropped the dime on this otherwise fine, respectable citizen...)

Just sayin'

Also, if discretion is important to the OP, remember that the back window of your truck can tip people off that you might be carrying.

An NES sticker? Fine; the sheep don’t know it. A “got SIG?” Cool; most sheep will assume it refers to something else, and won’t ask anybody to avoid looking dumb. Even a Molon Labe sticker is opaque to most.

But a bunch of the wrong kind of stickers can lead to unwanted attention. Some of us care and some of us don’t, but it’s something the OP might want to keep in mind.

When I see gun stickers I automatically look for the print.

Back
Top Bottom