3d printing BROs

I'm in taunton on the Rehoboth line (1 mile north of 44)

What material do you need it printed in?

Thanks both of you, @pastera hooked me up.
You only thought I helped you out
Now you're hooked - it will start with a cheap bed slinger like an Ender 3 but soon after you'll be hanging out in back alleys trying to score a kilo of some exotic filament while trying to avoid the 3d printer cops here in Mass.

PLA is a gateway drug, prove me wrong.

Get a bambulab p1s or x1c. Buy once, cry once. I'll never buy a cheap printer again.
Agree but also disagree
You can grab an Ender 3 for around $100 at Microcenter when it's on sale
That lets people get into printing for short money.
Going with a Bamboo labs puts you $700-$1400 out of pocket before you buy a spool of filament.

As a second printer - absolutely grab a PS1

Agree but also disagree
Going with a Bamboo labs puts you $700-$1400 out of pocket before you buy a spool of filament.

You're not wrong either. All printers will have their issues, bambu and other $1k+ printers included. $150 for a printer and filament from microcenter is a good toedip into the 3d print hobby to see if you like it. And then avoid the rabbit hole of sinking money into an entry level printer.

Agree but also disagree

And after you're done buying and installing $500 worth of mods, it's till an ender 3 and won't print as well as a Bambu or other higher end printer.

You only thought I helped you out
Now you're hooked - it will start with a cheap bed slinger like an Ender 3 but soon after you'll be hanging out in back alleys trying to score a kilo of some exotic filament while trying to avoid the 3d printer cops here in Mass.

PLA is a gateway drug, prove me wrong.

The machine on the left can print 16”x16”x16” parts from ULTEM. It was $145,000 when this pic was taken in 2012. wv63cJp-0%21sizeoriginal.jpeg

And after you're done buying and installing $500 worth of mods, it's till an ender 3 and won't print as well as a Bambu or other higher end printer.
Who is putting $500 into an Ender 3? You can drop $100 and get some great performance, not $1000 performance but enough for the average user.

The issue I see with the buy-once crowd is that it prices out new people. This happens with guns and bicycles a lot.
A $300 used M&P might have a sucky trigger but a new person can likely afford it and then put an after market trigger in later when they can afford it. And that cheap gun will shoot plenty fine for a new person who can use it to hone the skills required to take advantage of a $2k gun.
Same with bikes - a $500 used aluminum frame with an outdated groupset will outride essentially all new riders and give them a platform to gain skills to take advantage of the $5k carbon frame if they decide to go with that.

That $100 ender is going to print PLA just fine and to a level that is going to outstrip the knowledge of most beginners - and cheap tweaks can be made along the way as the person learns that open up better quality on the cheap. If the person likes it then dropping a few thousand on an X1 with AMS becomes an informed choice that they can actually use.

Back
Top Bottom