• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Criminal background check before buying 3d Printer

I assume you were pointing out that if the 3d printer itself does not incorporate a slicer, then it does not meet the definition the bill tries to address. In other words, the legal effect is NULL. Unless a manufacturer deliberately built an end-to-end system that did have that function.

Yes, exactly. I think there may be some higher-end models with a built in PC that will do slicing (not sure on this) but most require a separate PC or cloud-based service to do the slicing.

Yes, exactly. I think there may be some higher-end models with a built in PC that will do slicing (not sure on this) but most require a separate PC or cloud-based service to do the slicing.
As written, the tool chain of a printer coupled to a PC probably counts. As does the Ghost Gunner.

I wonder if the markforged and stratasys machines that run from cloud based slicers would count.

This plus a file. Be ungovernable

that is a damn good business selling a chunk of aluminum for $70. respect.

I bought a chunk from McMaster Carr years ago for a project, price with shipping was close to that.

And yes, McMaster is never a bargain.
1 lb aluminum ingot i think sells here in states for around $4 or $5.
unless it is infused with unobtanium, then , of course it should go for at least $70. :)

1 1lb titanium goes for $70, but i doubt if that puny cnc machine can deal with titanium. but, damn, a titanium lower - that would be fun.

unless it is infused with unobtanium, then , of course it should go for at least $70. :)

1 1lb titanium goes for $70, but i doubt if that puny cnc machine can deal with titanium.
Screenshot_20231016_210136_Brave.jpg

I think you're overselling it a bit. If you want to guarantee material spec and deliver small quantities in a reasonable period of time $70 isn't awful. Heck, qty 1000 still comes out to $32.50 each.

1 1lb titanium goes for $70, but i doubt if that puny cnc machine can deal with titanium. but, damn, a titanium lower - that would be fun.
Ok. Go buy by the lb. Maybe you can forge one with a hammer.

Here is a similar size chunk before shipping. IMG_6254.jpeg

View attachment 806551

I think you're overselling it a bit. If you want to guarantee material spec and deliver small quantities in a reasonable period of time $70 isn't awful. Heck, qty 1000 still comes out to $32.50 each.
Beat me to it.

Ok. Go buy by the lb. Maybe you can forge one with a hammer.

Here is a similar size chunk before shipping.View attachment 806554
ah-huh. you forge it before feeding it into the cnc? :)
i did shit ton of such things in the middle school - feeding aluminum ingots into the - well, it is called CNC now, back then it was called differently.
you donot need any nice edges to this 0% lower. it just needs raw material.

it`s low tech, man, low tech.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8PCFzg_D_E

i did shit ton of such things in the middle school - feeding aluminum ingots into the - well, it is called CNC now, back then it was called differently.

Do you understand the difference between forged and billet?

I think you are thinking of cast aluminum… melt an ingot and pour it into a sand mold then machine it.

We’ve come a long long way since 5 grade metal shop in actual industry. Thanks for playing.

it`s low tech, man, low tech.

Just melt some soda cans save some cash.

Again. That’s not forging!!!!!!!! It’s casting.

It’s the cheap way.

Come on man! Lol

Do you understand the difference between forged and billet?

I think you are thinking of cast aluminum… melt an ingot and pour it into a sand mold then machine it.

We’ve come a long long way since 5 grade metal shop in actual industry. Thanks for playing.
i bet my liver that $70 shit you posted simply had edges machined off from an ingot in china before it was shipped to you.
and in china that ingot went for 50c per lb, not even $4.

that is why i said - 'respect'.

i bet my liver that $70 shit you posted simply had edges machined off from an ingot in china before it was shipped to you.
and in china that ingot went for 50c per lb, not even $4.

that is why i said - 'respect'.
Respect?? Where?

It’s casting. Not forging as you said.

Was this your teacher?

IMG_6255.jpeg

Respect?? Where?

It’s casting. Not forging as you said.

Was this your teacher?

View attachment 806559
same f***ery that was with 'forged' rims from china, where 90% were cheap cast.
and your teacher was a
1697505730962.png
which brain you inherited, to trust any bullshit that gets sold to you online. cast, billet, forged - it is a damn LOWER.
you can 3d print it from soft plastic and it works just fine. stupid is as stupid does...

seriously - i mean no insult here, but in relation to material for lowers, cast vs billet vs forged - it is like saying you need a forged lead for extra killah bullets.
any metal will do for a lower, it has no real stress that bad to even care of.

same f***ery that was with 'forged' rims from china, where 90% were cheap cast.
and your teacher was a
View attachment 806560
which brain you inherited, to trust any bullshit that gets sold to you online. cast, billet, forged - it is a damn LOWER.
you can 3d print it from soft plastic and it works just fine. stupid is as stupid does...
You are not following on.

There are a few AR forging companies who sell the forging to other companies that machine them under their brand.

There are companies that buy billet AL and machine them from scratch.

The whole point was that there are $70+ plus pieces of aluminum for sale that are not in the shape of a lower.

I deleted my real reply.

But do you know that most top tier lowers are made for 7075 al?

IMG_6256.png

are a few AR forging companies
you do not know what a lower is, do you? you really don`t.

do you have an AR? familiarize yourself with a concept, it may become useful in the future.

you can get an ingot of gold, which is way softer than AL and CNC a lower from it, and it will work just fine too.

the only point of failure on a lower is a buffer tube section, if you will start smashing someones skull with your stock. other than that, there is no real stress there that needs any forged hardened media.

issue with cheap billet lowers was never the matarial but the ignorance of the machinists producing, essentially, crap that can be out of specs. for the AL itself, billed of forged - a lower is not a barrel.

Last edited:
I bought a chunk from McMaster Carr years ago for a project, price with shipping was close to that.

And yes, McMaster is never a bargain.
Yar. I have a chunk down stairs. 7075, not 6061, actually bought it as a wedding anniversary gift. Will be laser etching some things on it this winter and milling out some holes in the bottom for keepsake plugs. Easily cost $70 shipped due to weight.

On the topic ... this is a reach. Issue will be the fact that no criminals can (after a background check) still buy them. So likely to pass court review.

You are not following on.

There are a few AR forging companies who sell the forging to other companies that machine them under their brand.

There are companies that buy billet AL and machine them from scratch.

The whole point was that there are $70+ plus pieces of aluminum for sale that are not in the shape of a lower.

I deleted my real reply.

But do you know that most top tier lowers are made for 7075 al?

View attachment 806578
again, your reasoning here is same as to give shit to people who cast their own bullets at home with what the hell fecking SIG does there, so they price same shit 100x times up and sell it to morons.
the whole point it - no one needs 7075 for a lower. it is as stupid a thing as it gets.
and those who sell that $70 ingot shit know that, and i BET - again, as no one ever checked - it is a cheapest crappiest crap they get from china and then sell for profit, as it is how it works, always.

again, your reasoning here is same as to give shit to people who cast their own bullets at home with what the hell fecking SIG does there, so they price same shit 100x times up and sell it to morons.
the whole point it - no one needs 7075 for a lower. it is as stupid a thing as it gets.
and those who sell that $70 ingot shit know that, and i BET - again, as no one ever checked - it is a cheapest crappiest crap they get from china and then sell for profit, as it is how it works, always.

You still do not get it!!!

The whole point was that a $70 dollar 0% lower from them was not an absurd price for a billet of 6061 AL in that size!

I'm not going to repeat that again. I don't care to debate metallurgy, as it is not and never was my point.

Good night...

You still do not get it!!!

The whole point was that a $70 dollar 0% lower from them was not an absurd price for a billet of 6061 AL in that size!

I'm not going to repeat that again. I don't care to debate metallurgy, as it is not and never was my point.

Good night...
nah, it`s nes, i'm not going to surrender.
first point - no of that shit is needed, a usual cast AL would be just fine.
second point - the 6061 in that size costs $26 bulk.
and EVEN THAT is a ripoff.
1697509112313.png

nah, it`s nes, i'm not going to surrender.
first point - no of that shit is needed, a usual cast AL would be just fine.
second point - the 6061 in that size costs $26 bulk.
and EVEN THAT is a ripoff.
View attachment 806599

OK, ask what the cost is with shipping.

My $40 piece years ago had a $20 shipping charge.

And McMaster is/was never cheap. but I will get it tomorrow.

Christ on a stick, why is everything a skin flint contest here?? Go save $10 or what. I don't frigging care.

So go cast one. I'd love to see you start with a few pound ingot and how much time it took you to have a fully functioning 100% quality lower. Even a cheap 80% is $50. go for it, you can make a fortune if you try hard, you can even undercut Andersons!!!!

You can call it the PovertyPaulyPony.

And if you have not figured it out, the whole 0% lower was a joke...

why is everything a skin flint contest here
it is a matter of general principle.
ok, truce, i get you. povertypauly pony it will be. i can even make an ingot, but it will go to your cnc, as i am not going to buy one. :)

i buy materials all the time, the market there is brutal, and there is no honesty at all, so, i just see what i see.

ad i think there was a cheaper source that midwest steel, but i cannot recall now.

it is a matter of general principle.
ok, truce, i get you. povertypauly pony it will be. i can even make an ingot, but it will go to your cnc, as i am not going to buy one. :)

i buy materials all the time, the market there is brutal, and there is no honesty at all, so, i just see what i see.

I buy finished parts, I give my vendor a print, tell them what I want it to be and the material. I do not care if they start out will a block of AL the size of my house to make a 1"x1"x1" block and make it with a needle file. Not my problem.

I do not want to spend $500 in man hours to save $20...

My fist line above always makes me think of this cartoon

View: https://youtu.be/Jn4k2TPIJf0

There are already products that restrict you from doing things the government does not like, and also deny anonymity in cases where you do legal things that could merit denouncement.
  • Modern color printers are usually designed to detect attempts to copy US currency and will not let you do it.
  • Scanning software will frequently detect currency and refuse to image it.
  • Products like Adobe Photoshop will recognize images of currency and refuse to allow editing such images
  • Major manufacturers include serial number of the printer on every page of output (color printers add very faint yellow dots). And no, they do not notify their customers they do this.
  • Drones use GPS to prevent the owner from flying above the legal altitude or in no fly zones such as those surrounding airports
  • One company has announced it is selling software to 3D printer companies that can detect and prevent the printing of 3D gun parts.
  • 3D printed guns can be matched to the printer via imperfections in how the material is laid down. This could be (and maybe has been) enhanced to design imperfections that embed the serial number, so it can not only match a suspect printer but allow one to be tracked down.

It is easier to make a 3D printer from "commodity" parts than it would be to make an effective color printer from a similar level of parts.

I've seen it suggested that the animosity towards 3D printing is more about the potential to build "drones" without any of the embedded disabilities, like no-fly-zones and anti-weaponization limitations.

Same reason politicians have such a hard on for restricting 50 caliber rifles -- they hate anything that can defeat their special security measures.

Last edited:
Do they not realize you can build one from scrap parts, other than perhaps the controller board, which is not specific to 3-d printers but can be used in home automation, Christmas light controllers, entertainment systems, Real Doll animation components...
Liberal Democrat politicians lack of knowledge of firearms and how they work is widespread and pathetic. A very basic machine shop can turn out fully functional guns with only semiskilled labor. The Israeli UZI, the M3 "Grease Gun", the British Sten and the infamous German MG42 are just a few of the examples of weapons construction with basic machining and spot welding. Pathan tribesmen in Afghanistan turn out many homemade firearms using only hand tools. A guy in Japan, where private possession of firearms is illegal, managed to kill a high ranking official with a homemade double barrel shotgun while he was delivering a speech in front of a huge crowd.

Back
Top Bottom