• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fear-mongering article on 3D-printed firearm parts on Staten Island

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
I don’t think they have the authority to regulate such items….

Wow, that article is terrible on so many levels.

Known as ghost guns, these invisible weapons….

Now I want one.. how would you know if you lost it?

As I understand it if you "create" a "ghost gun" without a serial number you are in violation of Federal law, which has required serial numbers on all firearms since 1968.
Furthermore, if you are in a state (like NY or MA) which requires a license to possess a firearm and you make a "ghost gun" and do not have a license, then you are also violating the law. A "ghost gun" as defined in the article is a "homemade" firearm presumably without a serial number. It is still a firearm and subject to the same restrictions and requirements as conventionally manufactured firearms. The hysteria about "ghost guns" is simply a distraction employed by the folks who want more gun control.

As I understand it if you "create" a "ghost gun" without a serial number you are in violation of Federal law, which has required serial numbers on all firearms since 1968.
False, there is no serialization requirement for privately made firearms (PMF).

Specifically, section 923(i) of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), as amended (18 U.S.C. Chapter 44), requires licensed importers and licensed manufacturers to identify, by means of a serial number, each firearm imported or manufactured. An individual building for himself is not "licensed"

Only for licensed manufacturers.
Personally manufactured guns don't need serials

Furthermore, if you are in a state (like NY or MA) which requires a license to possess a firearm and you make a "ghost gun" and do not have a license, then you are also violating the law.
An unconstitutional law is not a law.
Hopefully we will see this adjudicated in the near term
A "ghost gun" as defined in the article is a "homemade" firearm presumably without a serial number. It is still a firearm and subject to the same restrictions and requirements as conventionally manufactured firearms.
No, a commercially manufactured firearm has different requirements.

The term "ghost gun" is simply to create a negative view among the uninformed but vocal population of useful idiots.

The hysteria about "ghost guns" is simply a distraction employed by the folks who want more gun control.
True.

An unconstitutional law is not a law.
Hopefully we will see this adjudicated in the near term

All laws are constitutional until adjudicated otherwise, at that point they become unconstitutional in part or in full. Saying they are unconstitutional before that is an opinion and not fact.

Many would say all gun control laws are unconstitutional, however, time after time these laws are upheld by the legal system.

For a full list of US laws that were applied to a population who could then file a grievance with standing against said law and won see:

Last edited:
All laws are constitutional until adjudicated otherwise, at that point they become unconstitutional in part or in full. Saying they are unconstitutional before that is an opinion and not fact.

Many would say all gun control laws are unconstitutional, however, time after time these laws are upheld by the legal system.

For a full list of US laws that were applied to a population who could then file a grievance with standing against said law and won see:

Which is why I stated that unconstitutional requirements, like those to have a license to even possess within one's home, will hopefully be adjudicated in the near future.

With the NYSRPA v Bruen opinion many laws became objectively unconstitutional and now simply await adjudication through the slow judicial process

Edited: don't try to listen in on a meeting and type on a phone at the same time

False, there is no serialization requirement for privately made firearms (PMF).

Specifically, section 923(i) of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), as amended (18 U.S.C. Chapter 44), requires licensed importers and licensed manufacturers to identify, by means of a serial number, each firearm imported or manufactured. An individual building for himself is not "licensed"
Thank you Kevin_NH and Pastera for setting the record straight RE privately manufactured firearms. I stand corrected.
Pastera's comment RE unconstitutional licensing requirements notwithstanding, I still maintain that possession of a firearm (privately manufactured or not) without a license in a jurisdiction that requires such is a violation of that jurisdiction's laws. Thus the hysteria over "ghost guns" and the demands for new laws is entirely unnecessary.

Thank you Kevin_NH and Pastera for setting the record straight RE privately manufactured firearms. I stand corrected.
Pastera's comment RE unconstitutional licensing requirements notwithstanding, I still maintain that possession of a firearm (privately manufactured or not) without a license in a jurisdiction that requires such is a violation of that jurisdiction's laws. Thus the hysteria over "ghost guns" and the demands for new laws is entirely unnecessary.
Possession and carry are two different thing with Possession in the home already very clearly protected by Heller.
Licensing for carry is presumptively constitutional based on the plain reading of Bruen's dicta - I believe licensing will be upheld by SCOTUS as long as it's an 'affordable' and relatively fast process.
As far as simple possession, I've been seeing a lot of "outside his/her home without a license" type language in police reports from Mass I've been reading lately - so I think even in Mass they are hedging their bets so they don't run afoul of Bruen and create concrete case law killing most of Mass gun control.

Back
Top Bottom