Holsters

FrugalFannie

NES Member
How much money have you spent on holsters you didn't end up liking or how many holsters did you go through before you found the one you like for carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably just shy of $150 and two holsters--only to find that it wasn't really the holsters that were the problem, but the belt--I was using a regular dress belt before reading some gun belt threads here and purchasing one designed for carry. It made a HUGE difference.

I was wondering, does anyone carry OWB? I can't see how that would work, unless I'm wearing a winter coat and sweater that comes down to my knees.

I was wondering, does anyone carry OWB? I can't see how that would work, unless I'm wearing a winter coat and sweater that comes down to my knees.

Yes. In MA and NH OWB is very possible most of the year even when concealing. Of course, OCing OWB is even better.

I carry owb under a sweat shirt or loose t-shirt (summer) and have for many years. These days it is a Glock 27, but I have carried full size 1911's that way. I dislike IWB.

I Cary OWB only do to me being a fat body and IWB is uncomfortable. I conceal with a sweatshirt or a simple untucked dress shirt or shirtjack. I use the FBI style hi ride pancake holsters from DeSantis or Galco. A 3 o'clock position is most comfortable for me.

spent probably about $50-60 on holsters i don't use. learned pretty quickly what works for me and what doesn't. wish i learned as fast on the guns i bought, might have saved $500-600.

For my EDC I use a Clinger Stingray IWB Kydex, single clip. I have 3 other IWB holsters that can be used for both my FNS9 and FNS9C.
The Clinger and my 2 clip hybrid kydex are my favorite.
Also have leather OWB for these and another for my FNX45. The 45 is a little big for IWB.

Not as much as many! I'm not very finicky but I do intend on getting a rawdog tactical single clip since it seems very flexible (in terms of cant, etc.) and has a lifetime warranty. I'd also like to get an OWB and shoulder rig at some point. I'm interested in trying ankle carry but I don't own anything that I would ankle carry as opposed to carrying somewhere else.

Some friends of mine seem to have a new holster every two weeks for whatever reason. I don't ask how much each one cost but you can imagine they're probably $30-85+ depending on the material.

I do insist on getting/having at least one holster for every firearm that is conceivably carryable, just in case.

Relatively new but will add my 2 cents. I think the first decision that you need to make is what kind of holster you want leather? Kydex? Other? Personally I am a fan of the hidden hybrid holster I love it because it can be used as inside or outside. Both are comfortable but really like the outside (I have a g17) I love the outside and find it relatively comfortable inside except when driving, but that's another issue. They are custom made and certain not cheap ($60+) I took a gamble and couldn't be happier with the result.

For contrast my rather recently bought a $13 inside from the NRA. Looked great when I put my g17 and mag into it... Felt like shit when I tried to use it.

Trial and and error I would agree with, guess I got lucky

To add to the discussion... Anyone tried the Keyhole holster nano rapid on/off?

Don't want to answer how I carry but if I get assaulted I won't be reaching for a gun, I will have it in hand.

I bought one shitty holster, then started listening to people.

IWB Crossbreed.
OWB Bladetech.
Battle Belt Bladetech with a drop/offset

Yes. In MA and NH OWB is very possible most of the year even when concealing. Of course, OCing OWB is even better.

I did today, Glock 31 underneath a sweatshirt.....

I carry owb under a sweat shirt or loose t-shirt (summer) and have for many years. These days it is a Glock 27, but I have carried full size 1911's that way. I dislike IWB.

I wonder if my holster sits too low. It's a USP compact 9 in a Garrett Silent Thunder, and it sticks really low, I would need a really long sweat shirt for it to stay covered if I bent over. or do you guys just not bend over? :)

Last edited:
So far, no mistakes.

Crossbreed Supertuck iwb for my edc.

Similar custom kydex iwb for my Sig 1911. Also have a Galco shoulder rig for it.

Now looking for my first OWB holster for a 4.25" K-Frame model 66-8 revolver. Clubhouse leader is Galco dual Phoenix, but I'm oprn for options.

Closed or open bottom?? Need a primer on the different types -- pancake, etc. - of revolver holsters.

Guy that is going to rob you or kill you probably won't have his gun in a holster,he will have it in his hand. The more difficult yours is to get to the more likely he will shoot first. Holsters hold the gun well and hides really good but will you have a chance to get it out? Cops wear the best equipment around but still get shot....

Don't want to answer how I carry but if I get assaulted I won't be reaching for a gun, I will have it in hand.
Hetty Lange style?
600px-NCISLAS07E03_04.jpg

I wonder if my holster sits too low. It's a USP compact 9 in a Garrett Silent Thunder, and it sticks really low, I would need a really long sweat shirt for it to stay covered if I bent over. or do you guys just not bend over? :)

My first OWB holster was a Comptac Gladiator. Super comfortable, and holds my 3" 1911 perfectly, but it rides WAY too low. Even with my longest sweatshirt, every time I bent over I would have to adjust my shirt when I stood up because the bottom of the holster was sticking out.

I just picked up a Hauge Textiles holster last week. I havent had a chance to try it out yet, but it puts the bottom of the holster just below the belt line, much better than the Comptac, which was right at the seam of my pocket.

As I evolved from the BG380 to my PM9 to my G19, I went from afraid of printing to concerned about printing to IDGAF about printing.

The best solution for me with the G19 IWB has been an el-cheapo neoprene blackhawk. The clip is the correct height for the gun to sit low, but the right height (for me) to draw. I have a box with at least 10 holsters in it. Desantis, etc.

It cannot be stated enough how important a good belt is. Invest there first.

I've spent quite a bit. My go to's now are Crossbreed minituck, Concealment Express and Comptac Mtac, Raven Concealment Phantom. It depends on the application and firearm which one I use.

I too have a holster(or 3) for every firearm I could possibly carry. It's taken me a long time to get a feel for what I like.

Good thread guys. That's the reason I don't carry much. I must have spent 150 or more already, and the only one that I am happy with is an Elite no.8. It works pretty well for my LC9s. I know the Crossbreed is just about the best, but they look freaking huge to me. Maybe its just a matter of luck, finding the best holster for you.

My first OWB holster was a Comptac Gladiator. Super comfortable, and holds my 3" 1911 perfectly, but it rides WAY too low. Even with my longest sweatshirt, every time I bent over I would have to adjust my shirt when I stood up because the bottom of the holster was sticking out.

Thanks - mine sticks down to the pocket, so maybe I can get a different mount from Garrett to make it sit higher.

It cannot be stated enough how important a good belt is. Invest there first.

I got a 5.11 belt first, 1.5". It supports the holster great, but it's kind of uncomfortable, feels like you're wearing an iron manacle around your waist. Then I got a Mitch Rosen Express line (not custom) 1.5" belt, and wow, it's so much more comfortable, it's no different than my normal dress belt.

Back
Top Bottom