• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holsters

I have a couple of cheaper holsters, hate them both. I've found that the clips tend to be weak and the holster moves when drawing. The Crossbreed looks interesting, do they have any options that use full loops instead of clips?

I wonder if my holster sits too low. It's a USP compact 9 in a Garrett Silent Thunder, and it sticks really low, I would need a really long sweat shirt for it to stay covered if I bent over. or do you guys just not bend over? :)
I use a Galco FLETCH, I have 3 of them for different guns. They sit nice and high, for that reason a nice stiff belt is required. They're $80-$90 but to me they're worth it....

I bought one cheap uncle mikes holster, and it sucked.
Then I bought the M-TAC with spare kydex for different carry options.
Would of loved to get the kydex shell for my shield, but the holsters so old they don't make shells for that generation holster anymore.
I bought a hidden hybrid for the shield and that's nice too, just nor as broken in as my other.

Spent tons of money on holsters over nearly 30 years: duty, shoulder, iwb, owb, appendix, cross-draw...

Newest one I bought was a Ted_Cori Custom Kydex.

I highly recommend asking other people
"what they like and why" plus "what they don't like and why"

Then you can also watch in depth reviews on
YouTube for info about specifics holsters and brands.

I usually use a Winthrop holsters pancake for my sw shield. Also have a desantis cozy partner iwb, desantis nemesis, and remora I use for abnormal circumstances. Waiting on iwb and owb aliengear holsters for my G19. From my experience with the alien gears the iwb worked pretty well, the owb was meh.

As an aside, you can conceal pretty much any pistol well enough owb and one-size-too-large tshirt in my experience. You will print a little when you move into odd positions but nothing anyone will notice.

There's only been one or two holsters I really hated (remora holsters come to mind first), one that wasn't worth it (kydex wasn't formed properly after the second attempt), probably 150 or so into the junk, but I have holsters for most of my pistols.

I've found I like the Kydex IWB for single stack pistols, Kydex/Leather (ala Crossbreed/alien gear) for double stack IWB, and Kydex / Bladetech for OWB.

It's all about what fits your body and what works. I have a MTS (metric sh*^ ton) of holsters. Not a bad one in the bunch, but few are wearable for me to CCW daily. A handful more may be good for competitive action. However, I got a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 as a package in a purchase from another member. I thought I would chuck it into the holster bin, or sell/trade it. But, after only 2 CCW wearings--since I thought the first was a fluke--I found it...perfect. It conforms to belt/hip, keeps the butt concealed and is...comfortable. After wearing it daily for months, I have on my to-do to order 2 more. Unfortunately, there is a 16-22 week wait according to the website and you have to call in the order.

Other favorites are Raven, Comp-Tac and Blade Tec.

To answer the OP, I'm looking for my first holster so I have no experience with any types or models.

Anybody know anything about the Kydex holsters from Tactical Justice or Veil Solutions? I'm looking for something reasonably priced to have something for now.

I wonder if my holster sits too low. It's a USP compact 9 in a Garrett Silent Thunder, and it sticks really low, I would need a really long sweat shirt for it to stay covered if I bent over. or do you guys just not bend over? :)

I don't worry about it anymore. My OWB holsters often hang partly exposed, below the shirt or sweatshirt I wear. As long as the handgun itself is covered I am OK with it.
Nobody has ever said anything. I draw a fraction of a second faster carrying OWB no matter how much I practice IWB

Most Comfortable: Milt Sparks VM II - conceals very well, extremely comfortable, rides high (that's a good thing!) and has a great cant.

Most Concealable: Garrett Industries Silent Thunder - nice combination of kydex and leather, easy on/off, can be worn with your shirt tucked in your pants!!!! - huge plus if you have to dress business casual and need/want to CC, rides low (that's a good thing!) for maximum concealment and has an adjustable cant.

Last edited:
I use an AIWB holster from Last Line of Defense that I find to be comfortable standing and sitting. Bending over can be uncomfortable but you should be bending your knees anyway. It's a fast draw and I like having the built-in magazine holder as well. It was a bit pricy but it's well made and getting a decent amount of use.

I use an AIWB holster from Last Line of Defense that I find to be comfortable standing and sitting. Bending over can be uncomfortable but you should be bending your knees anyway. It's a fast draw and I like having the built-in magazine holder as well. It was a bit pricy but it's well made and getting a decent amount of use.

I've never carried AIWB so I'm curious what make a good AIWB holster a good one? I imagine a slender body type (no gut) makes this method of CC much more comfortable and concealable.

I've never carried AIWB so I'm curious what make a good AIWB holster a good one? I imagine a slender body type (no gut) makes this method of CC much more comfortable and concealable.

I'm new with carrying in general so it's actually the first holster I've tried. As for what makes an AIWB holster a good one I would think it's along the same lines as any holster. Quality of construction, thought and improvements on the design, and comfortability with your body. I think you are probably right that not having a large gut helps with AIWB, though it could also see it helping with concealment if the handgrip isn't uncomfortably digging into it. I would say I'm average build, not super skinny by any stretch. I'm 5' 8" and try to keep around 190 lbs and it seems to work pretty well for me. Hopefully I can lose some more weight this summer and let you know if it gets more comfortable lol.

He has some videos under Last Line of Defense (as do a number of other people on YouTube) that discuss AIWB if you're interested in looking into it further.

Back
Top Bottom