• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me spend $1500

Bzzzzzzt! Thanks for playing, but sorry.

He want something to keep in a collection.

I suggest a Winchester 30-30 lever action. Try to find a decent used one.

He doesn't know what he wants, though. Buying a gun in this circumstance is retarded. Been there done that. Then again I'm biased because I try to avoid buying dust collectors or things I'll dump in a year.

You'll have no regrets if you buy $1500 worth of ammunition. Otherwise you will blow your money on some gun you really didn't want.

If you need the internet to answer this question, seriously, just buy ammo instead. Now is a particularly good time to buy given the pricing receding quite a bit from recent years. I used to be part of the gun a week club, it's ****ing stupid unless you have that much cash floating around all the time. If I had bought ammo instead I would have made out better in the long run.

-Mike

AND, ammo prices are damn near pre Sandy Hook. Never a bad time, though, to load up.

Spend it all on a gun. Buying ammo is boring. You don't see anyone taking pics of their Speer Gold Dot collection in the Acquisitions gallery. You're going to buy ammo anyways, so it doesn't count. At least that's how I rationalize it.

Spend it all on a gun. Buying ammo is boring. You don't see anyone taking pics of their Speer Gold Dot collection in the Acquisitions gallery. You're going to buy ammo anyways, so it doesn't count. At least that's how I rationalize it.
Meh, if it is between a fun gun and 2/3 the money for ammo/reloading vs expensive gun with equally expensive appetite so it stays home I would pic fun and cheap.

Unless it is a "dream buy" but in that case there is no "help me spend, question"

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

He doesn't know what he wants, though. Buying a gun in this circumstance is retarded. Been there done that. Then again I'm biased because I try to avoid buying dust collectors or things I'll dump in a year.

Your "dust collector"=someone else's safe queen=someone else's collector's item. I'd say my choice is good for any collection.

As a "shooter", maybe a Henry .357 and a Ruger 1911 if those fit the budget.

You'll have no regrets if you buy $1500 worth of ammunition. Otherwise you will blow your money on some gun you really didn't want.

If you need the internet to answer this question, seriously, just buy ammo instead. Now is a particularly good time to buy given the pricing receding quite a bit from recent years. I used to be part of the gun a week club, it's ****ing stupid unless you have that much cash floating around all the time. If I had bought ammo instead I would have made out better in the long run.

-Mike
This.
Cuz we're probably closer to civil war since at any point from the end of the last one, and when the S actually does HTF? (it's coming), you might end up asking yourself "why the hell did I buy another gun in 2017 when I shoulda bought more ammo, since even a box of cheap 9 or 7.62 is now twelve times what it cost before all this S actually HTF....

Just sayin'

1500 worth of 22lr, or 2 glocks and 500 bucks worth of ammo to feed them.

Yeah, ammo is really boring when the next nutbag shoots up a school and everyone else is running around like a window licking, arm flapping retard looking for ammo that doesn't exist, or getting soaked every time you buy whatever ammo appears. I always tried to stay ahead of the curve but the last half dozen or so of these scare incidents have taught me that I needed to be further along. Anything less than a full year worth of normal shooting laid in as a reserve isn't nearly enough ammo. (this goes for reloaders too, but anyone who is reloading doesn't need me to tell them this- because they already know it- and any reloader with $1500 burning a hole in his pocket.... guess what, he's going to spend it on mats, bullets, powder, primers.... or another press or similar. )

Also on impulse buys if you buy the wrong thing that gun becomes boring in under a month, maybe two tops. Then unless you got lucky and bought it used way under market, you'll get soaked on the back end when you go to sell it. (not to mention the cost of the time wasted that it took you to sell it, which is considerable)

Rent guns, shoot other peoples stuff. That weird gun you weren't sure about buying? Someone else here has it. Shoot theirs instead and you'll decide whether or not its worthy. Network a little bit. You can give them a gift of a box or two of the ammo you have stacked up. All of these things are less than the $200+ (easily) you'll blow getting soaked on buying something, and then dumping something, that you weren't sure of.

Now if the OP has plenty of ammo stashed away for anything he's going to buy, sure, impulse buy away, but it still sucks. This is also characteristically unlikely for people asking this kind of question. If I had a time machine and could undo all the purchasing mistakes I made I would have probably had a few thousand bucks extra to buy stuff that I actually wanted to buy , guns that I knew weren't crap and would please me greatly, and that I would want to keep.

Someone else will say "well if money isn't an issue what difference does it make?" if money wasn't an issue the OP would have just bought the first thing that distracted him. It's always an issue for anyone who hasn't hit powerball. [laugh]

I just say this stuff because I was the OP 10+ years ago. I would impulse buy shit all over the place. A healthy portion of those buys were a huge waste of time and money. Was the experience of getting a new gun fun? Sure. Often times, not for long though. Then dumping the thing was a waste of time and money. Knowing what I know now though? **** that noise- an impulse buy means I could win (rare, probably a 1 in 4 chance or less) or I could get soaked for $200. That $1500 is either going towards something I already knew I REALLY wanted 6 months ago, or its getting banked so I can buy something else on the list that's more expensive that I wouldn't normally buy.

Then again I'm that guy. I talk friends out of buying guns all the time. I'd rather see them buy something they have a genuine murderboner for than just some fly by night contraption omgthislookscool phantasm. IF they don't listen, I'm right about 75% of the time, then I'm like ATODASO..... Then they roll it and they're always like "well I should have just saved the $ and then bought X instead, I would have been able to afford that by now if I hadn't spent it..."

-Mike

Last edited:
If you live in MA buy a Tavor before the AG stops their sale. I have no knowledge of anything impending, just thinking ahead.
This.. But.. You could probably say that ("get one before the AG stops their sale") about a 10\22 or even a friggin .38 revolver, given how completely off the rails this beserk little manboy is right now....

Just sayin'

it's been said. Buy ammo, never enough ammo. Or, if you don't reload spend the money on the training and equipment

Another vote for the Tavor!
As small as an sbr AR-15 but with a 16" or 18" barrel.
What is not to like with a size like that![smile]
And it takes common mags!

Last edited:
I would take that $1500 and put it towards a custom built 1911 that is built the way you want it with better components and fit and finish. I also agree with buying a reloading setup or ammo. If your not going to have another $1500 to spend on yourself it's probably wise to put it somewhere and forget about it, not spend it.

This.
Cuz we're probably closer to civil war since at any point from the end of the last one, and when the S actually does HTF? (it's coming), you might end up asking yourself "why the hell did I buy another gun in 2017 when I shoulda bought more ammo, since even a box of cheap 9 or 7.62 is now twelve times what it cost before all this S actually HTF....

Just sayin'

I really hope there aren't many people who TRULY believe that.

This.

Just sayin'

Even if one doesn't believe in any of the tinfoiler BS its still a good idea. If someone competes or shoots recreationally, do they want to be sitting around twiddling their thumbs all season the next time some nutbag goes off the rails? Probably not. You figure out what your annual consumption is and throw a few % on top of that for good measure. Even if you screw up the numbers and buy "too much" ammo you can just roll it and get 95%-200% or what you paid for it.

-Mike

Even if one doesn't believe in any of the tinfoiler BS its still a good idea. If someone competes or shoots recreationally, do they want to be sitting around twiddling their thumbs all season the next time some nutbag goes off the rails? Probably not. You figure out what your annual consumption is and throw a few % on top of that for good measure. Even if you screw up the numbers and buy "too much" ammo you can just roll it and get 95%-200% or what you paid for it.

-Mike
Heh that just makes me think how much I spend on ammo for shooting "not that much". I am looking forward to buying a house so I can buy more bulk cases when I find a deal. Knowing what you want to shoot in the future there is no reason to not just buy on sale till space runs out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think I am the first to say this, though I admittedly did not read the whole thread. Spend the $21 or so that it costs to "go green" and then spend the remaining $1479, as you wish. Maybe on a group buy or two......

Grab a Benelli M4 from Old Glory Guns and Ammo (use to be Stateline) on Rt 31 in Mason NH.
Awesome. A thing of beauty. Can hunt turkey ,deer and grouse as well as for home defense.
I bought 1 3 years ago. Price should be around $1600-1700

I still say this is a ridiculous request. Until or unless we know what the OP has already, and what he means by "collection" there's no way we could answer this.

Tell ya what, OP. Just buy the 1911. But don't go nutty for the performance center one. Buy a nice Sig, S&W, Ruger, or other generally available 1911, and just shoot the Hell out of it. Something in the $700 - $1k range will do you fine. Spend the remainder on some ammo, and maybe a training class.

Back
Top Bottom