• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me spend $1500

I have about $1500 to spend on a toy, and since it'll be a while(maybe never) before I will have the $ again... i dont want regrets.

Currently considering: S&W performance ctr 1911, S&W 500 (maybe performance ctr)

I shoot, but this is also to keep for my collection.

Any ideas? Advice?

Thanks

You'll have no regrets if you buy $1500 worth of ammunition. Otherwise you will blow your money on some gun you really didn't want.

If you need the internet to answer this question, seriously, just buy ammo instead. Now is a particularly good time to buy given the pricing receding quite a bit from recent years. I used to be part of the gun a week club, it's ****ing stupid unless you have that much cash floating around all the time. If I had bought ammo instead I would have made out better in the long run.

-Mike

You'll have no regrets if you buy $1500 worth of ammunition. Otherwise you will blow your money on some gun you really didn't want.

If you need the internet to answer this question, seriously, just buy ammo instead. Now is a particularly good time to buy given the pricing receding quite a bit from recent years. I used to be part of the gun a week club, it's ****ing stupid unless you have that much cash floating around all the time. If I had bought ammo instead I would have made out better in the long run.

-Mike

This is the real answer. Ammo or I would add reloading equipment. 1500 buys a nice setup with enough components to gets started.

If you live in MA buy a Tavor before the AG stops their sale. I have no knowledge of anything impending, just thinking ahead.

Last edited:
I have about $1500 to spend on a toy, and since it'll be a while(maybe never) before I will have the $ again... i dont want regrets.

Currently considering: S&W performance ctr 1911, S&W 500 (maybe performance ctr)

I shoot, but this is also to keep for my collection.

Any ideas? Advice?

Thanks

This guy has a nice piece for sale - https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/327041-Smith-and-Wesson-500-6-5-quot

In all seriousness I would buy an MP5 or MP5k rifle. Not affected by the ban, chambered in 9mm. Iconic firearm. Will hold value.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-rifle-barreled-receiver-detail.html?Itemid=0

Split it up, don't spend it all on just a gun. Buy a nice gun you would like to shoot and a couple thousand rounds of ammo. Then buy a descent reloading set up with some components to feed your new toy. Look at it like a farmer, the bullets, powder, cases, and primers are the seeds that produce crops. Run then through your press and you can produce food for quite a while.

S&W 500. You may not shoot it a lot, but at least you can show it off all the time!

Your opinion is valid, but if you gave me a once in a lifetime chance to buy a dream gun, I'd choose one I use a lot rather than another safe queen. Especially one I couldn't afford to shoot.

If I had 1500$ and did not reload I would invest in reloading gear.
1500$ can go a long way you could buy a press dies and enough components to last a few years depending on how much you shoot.
If I was going to shoot it I probably skip the PC 1911 ? I have one I bought back when they first came out and I paid more then than what the retail now. It's a fine gun but honestly a decent trigger job will be just as nice in most SW 1911s as the PC model for those that are not very good pistol shooters.
1500$ would also get you a M1 or a M1a
Honestly though when it comes to guns. I would most likely spread the 1500$ over several guns I would most likely shoot.

I absolutely do not need it... but I'm pretty sure 99% of people in this forum have well beyond their needs. Just looking to add to collection and making sure I'm not missing anything.

Love my m1a

If you live in MA buy a Tavor before the AG stupid their she's. I have no knowledge of anything impending, just thinking ahead.
+1.

You beat me to it.

I am normally not a fan of 5.56 EBRs other than the AR15, since one gets locked into a single parts supplier (try getting parts for a Para Ord pistol Zitta special or Sig 5.56 40 years from now), but the Tavor is on its way to becoming as much of a classic as the cherry bomb in the toilet.

Cool gun; will retain much of its value; and among the best in class; takes readily available pre-ban mags.

-Mike

Bzzzzzzt! Thanks for playing, but sorry.

He want something to keep in a collection.

I suggest a Winchester 30-30 lever action. Try to find a decent used one.

Well I think a collection is shaped around what you like shooting. At 4 handguns I could probably be set for most anything I could want to do. However I could find $1500 in shotgun "stuff" easily if I wanted.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BROWNING-CITORI-CROSSOVER-SHOTGUN/2286480.uts

Browning is running a $100 rebate at the moment so that sale price of $1599 comes down to $1499 before tax.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you already have some choices for your budget. There are many nice options for guns in the $500 to $700 range- would pricing like that be in your future budget? If smaller purchases are OK in the future, I say go ahead and get the big ticket item you want. Seems like folks don't go everyday plinking with S&W 500's [grin], so you could get something pristine in the used market. $1100 as posted above for the 6.5" leaves you with some cash for plenty of ammo. Again, if smaller purchases are in your future you could set yourself up for reloading over time.

Others who like to shoot copious amounts of 9mm each trip to the range are giving you advice from their perspective. Nothing wrong with that- many, many people roll that way. If your ideal trip to the range involves shooting something with a lot of wow factor and you don't care to burn through several boxes of ammo, go for the .500. The S&W 1911 is a good way to go too, but you don't need to spend tons of money on a 1911 to have something nice. If this is a rare chance for you to get one big ticket item, have fun.

I was going to jump on the reloading bandwagon until someone mentioned the tavor. If you don't have an AR or two, that is a strategic purchase to guard against future stupidity of the ruling class. Baring that, and not knowing what else you have, a reloading setup is a great investment.

If I had to choose between a 1911 and SW500, I would choose 1911 all day long. Much more versatile (fun to shoot, competition capable, etc.) and everyone should own a couple of variants IMHO. But then, I'm not a recoil whore... I'd much rather have a 686 than a SW500.

A Canik Tp9sf, a Dillon 650, and a few hundred $ worth of components.

Insert any gun worth less than $500 if the Canik isn't your thing.

Though the Tavor idea sounds tempting too
imagegif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom