• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cocked hammers scare me

I get it. It is odd. But if you think about striker fired, the spring is under tension just waiting to go off with a trigger pull. Same thing essentially. You just can't see it
"Well, sometimes" depends on the gun. On a Glock there's only typically slight amount of pre tension. Other brands may be similar or more aggressive to the point of being nearly single action and under more tension at rest.

Maybe a leather holster with a retention strap that crosses under the hammer?
I was thinking the same thing....I mean yeah it's a crutch but it would be a pretty reliable mental crutch.... at that point it's literally not possible for the hammer to go down as long as the gun is holstered.

I didn't trust a cocked hammer when I started carrying semi autos either.

Carry with the chamber empty, hammer cocked and safety OFF. I kept my Model 60 when I was trying this. After a couple days of unholstering your gun and seeing that it hasn't "gone off", you'll start feeling better about it.

I know, I’m a pussy, gay, etc. I’ve been carry an Sig 938 and it’s a SAO so the hammer is cocked if a round is chambered. Even with the safety on, I’m very “aware” of it and it makes me nervous.

I feel the same way about 1911s and any other gun with a hammer. I carried a Beretta for years, but always decocked it.

I know I’m worrying about something foolish, but there you have it.
I don't like it, either, though I would take some comfort in the grip safety of an actual 1911. The lack of a similar device on a 938 has given me pause. It's probably not fair to say that's why I don't have one, but it was a factor. I carry a P30SK hammer down like you carried the Beretta, but then again, I'm a DA revolver guy. The DA pull is no bother at all. I laugh at reviewers who talk about how heavy it is. Wimpy trigger finger syndrome. I don't actually know whether the Ruger LC9s I pocket carry is fully cocked or partial like a Glock. (Edit: apparently it is a fully-cocked design.)

Last edited:
That’s why I liked the Beretta. When decocked there is no possible way to make it fire. Too big for CC though.
When my 1911 is cocked and locked there is no way for it to go off unless

1. Safety deactivated
2. Grip safety activated
3. Pull trigger

It's perfectly safe carried cocked and locked.

Anyone that thinks otherwise sits to pee.

I used to carry a "3 Kimber 1911 in a Milt Sparks Ultra Carry for a while. I stopped because the cocked and locked method always niggled at the back of my mind and it made me uncomfortable. I bumped the gun a few times and was always cringing on whether it knocked the safety off. It was always no but I had to check to make sure which bothered me. I finally just changed my carry gun as I just couldn't get used to it.

You are not alone.
Even if the safety was bumped off....still have to engage the grip safety and pull the trigger for it to go bang.

Bingo! Also, precisely why I stopped carrying a P365 and ran back to Glock.
Did you have a 1st gen? The only issue was with the striker and afaik was fixed way back when it first came out. Mine is a 2019 and I’ve carried it daily since then. I don’t see how it can be dangerous with the trigger safety plunger, striker safety block, and even added safety lug on the striker in the wild event the striker lug shears off. Thanks for the mags btw. I have no concerns about carrying this at all. I also don’t appendix carry. What concerned you? Was it how you carried it?

Joke over head No……..
That was legible………
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Even if the safety was bumped off....still have to engage the grip safety and pull the trigger for it to go bang.
Unless you tape the grip safety down. Mine rattled too much until I replaced the spring, so skate tape did the job.

I came a long way from being worried about it going off accidentally

Did you have a 1st gen? The only issue was with the striker and afaik was fixed way back when it first came out. Mine is a 2019 and I’ve carried it daily since then. I don’t see how it can be dangerous with the trigger safety plunger, striker safety block, and even added safety lug on the striker in the wild event the striker lug shears off. Thanks for the mags btw. I have no concerns about carrying this at all. I also don’t appendix carry. What concerned you? Was it how you carried it?
Take this with a grain of salt, since it's about my subjective comfort level:

All of the internal safeties on a P365 have a single point of failure - the lug on the sear. I've found very, very few reported examples of strikers breaking in that spot and proteq on YouTube demonstrates how strong it is, but with that knowledge I just couldn't keep carrying it around my kid. That was my only concern and maybe it's overblown, idk. I really like that the Glock 43 that replaced my Sig has redundancies that make it physically impossible for it to be fired without the trigger being manipulated.

Back
Top Bottom