• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cocked hammers scare me

In God We Trust

NES Member
I know, I’m a pussy, gay, etc. I’ve been carry an Sig 938 and it’s a SAO so the hammer is cocked if a round is chambered. Even with the safety on, I’m very “aware” of it and it makes me nervous.

I feel the same way about 1911s and any other gun with a hammer. I carried a Beretta for years, but always decocked it.

I know I’m worrying about something foolish, but there you have it.

I get it. It is odd. But if you think about striker fired, the spring is under tension just waiting to go off with a trigger pull. Same thing essentially. You just can't see it
That’s why I liked the Beretta. When decocked there is no possible way to make it fire. Too big for CC though.

I know, I’m a pussy, gay, etc. I’ve been carry an Sig 938 and it’s a SAO so the hammer is cocked if a round is chambered. Even with the safety on, I’m very “aware” of it and it makes me nervous.

I feel the same way about 1911s and any other gun with a hammer. I carried a Beretta for years, but always decocked it.

That tells me you have not done a full disassembly of your 938. If you did you will know that when safety is applied there is a mechanical barrier/ disconnect between the hammer and the firing pin thus making accidental discharge not possible.

Watch couple videos, tear apart the gun, see for yourself and obtain the trust in your weapon you need to begin with to carry it.

Good luck
A

Maybe a leather holster with a retention strap that crosses under the hammer?

You need to learn the functional mechanics of the gun you want to carry,
once you understand how it actually functions mechanically; the safeties internal and external, if any; what actually has to happen to cause the gun to fire and in what order, you can feel okay to carry condition 1

*On a side note, the Sig 938 Is NOT a mini 1911, and should not be trusted as a 1911*

*Edit*not saying Sig938 is not safe, just not as safety redundant as a 1911*

Last edited:
You need to learn the functional mechanics of the gun you want to carry,
once you understand how it actually functions mechanically; the safeties internal and external, if any; what actually has to happen to cause the gun to fire and in what order...
Bingo! Also, precisely why I stopped carrying a P365 and ran back to Glock.

I used to carry a "3 Kimber 1911 in a Milt Sparks Ultra Carry for a while. I stopped because the cocked and locked method always niggled at the back of my mind and it made me uncomfortable. I bumped the gun a few times and was always cringing on whether it knocked the safety off. It was always no but I had to check to make sure which bothered me. I finally just changed my carry gun as I just couldn't get used to it.

You are not alone.

I wouldn't worry with a 1911 either as not only do you have the thumb safety you also need to depress the grip safety.
First of all, practice safe carry protocols. I don't carry my cocked and locked handgun where it is pointing at any body part - my parts or someone else's parts. That means no appendix carry. Second, whenever I touch the gun, I focus on what I am doing, and keep my thumb on the hammer. This allows me to feel if something released it, allows me to control the hammer, and also pulls the web of my hand away from the grip safety, adding one more impediment to firing.

Finally, I understand that guns like the 1911, the 938, etc were DESIGNED to be carried cocked and locked. Unless they are broken or worn out, they will not discharge unless you pull the trigger.

Not an issue if you are properly trained.

Lot's of semi-auto pistols have internal hammers that are cocked, you just don't see them.
The S&W Model 41 and 422/622 series guns are like this, same for Colt "Hammerless" pocket models like the 1903 and Ruger MK series guns.
There's no way to have a live round in the chamber without the hammer being cocked.

Why thank you for your input and manual of arms. I'm stating that a 1911 is a pretty safe pistol to carry cocked and locked as the OP mentioned it. My method is to draw with 4 fingers, nose picker off the trigger and thumb at the safety. When it's where I want it to be I then go boom.

Back
Top Bottom