• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cocked hammers scare me

I'd say no one will judge you, but who am I kidding?

Seriously, if it's that much of a concern find a gun you're comfortable with. Personally, I like the S&W 3rd Gen guns, but that's me and there are people who hate DA/SA guns. Of course they made DAO versions, but they are hard to come by in MA. Plus, they are long out of production and some people worry about that.

I know, I’m a pussy, gay, etc. I’ve been carry an Sig 938 and it’s a SAO so the hammer is cocked if a round is chambered. Even with the safety on, I’m very “aware” of it and it makes me nervous.

I feel the same way about 1911s and any other gun with a hammer. I carried a Beretta for years, but always decocked it.

I know I’m worrying about something foolish, but there you have it.

You need to learn the functional mechanics of the gun you want to carry,
once you understand how it actually functions mechanically; the safeties internal and external, if any; what actually has to happen to cause the gun to fire and in what order, you can feel okay to carry condition 1

*On a side note, the Sig 938 Is NOT a mini 1911, and should not be trusted as a 1911*

*Edit*not saying Sig938 is not safe, just not as safety redundant as a 1911*

This x1000.... I think everybody should do this. If you understand how your guns safety systems operate.... you can quickly figure out whether your phobia is absolutely insane or has a shred of validity to it. Irrational fear is often defeated through understanding.

I'm more afraid of the decocker on those SADA guns. Just typing that word locks my knees together.
Decocker Scared me on my beretta 92 the day I brought it home (inherited it) ONLY cause I was ignorant to its operation and thought it would act as a cocked safety.
I want to make it a decocker only variant like my carry

My daily carry is a SigPro 2022 and I just love the decocker

Now my CZ82,DA/SA has no deckcocker, you either carry it cocked and locked or you gotta ride the hammer down to decock it

Anyway don’t be afraid of the decocker

I just wanted to see how many times I could mention the word decocker

The (ambi) safety is the only safety and can easily be moved off. You're left with a very short single action trigger pull. Concern is understandable.

1911 is over 100 years old and designed to be cocked and locked.

It has to be the most copied pistol platform ever.

The top custom guns are 1911/2011’s

If it was fundamentally unsafe, it would not be this way.

I have carried and shot competition with 1911’s

I have no concerns

That said, have a good holster (on any gun) vs a nylon uncle mikes…

ETA: most striker fired guns are in/at half cock, you just cannot see it.

The sight of the hammer back is more scary than the hammer being back.

I have several hammer back SAO guns without a grip safety. So that’s another level of big boy rules.

Last edited:
The sig p938 safety physically blocks the hammer and trigger, takes a significant amount of force to defeat the safety, and the trigger pull weight is more than sufficient to prevent an ND. Research how it works, it’s not a 1911. My 938 legion has been my summer carry ( running shorts, tanks and appendix carry) for 3 years. It’s always condition1 and I don’t even think about it anymore.

whoops GIF
I have that with audio for you. Mark it.

View: https://youtu.be/Nbc1Fs3Om-0

Scared of hammers? Nothing can beat the experience I had with my Ruger P85 .45 cal. It was a SA/DA pistol, It had an exposed hammer.

When loaded and cocked in the SA position, it is sitting there, ready to fire.

But when you engaged the thumb safety? It had this unnerving habit of the hammer dropping randomly when a slight breeze wafted through the room it was in. And it was a LOUD click on the hammer drop. Like, "holy shit that was loud". That there was no unexpected discharge is a testament to their firing-pin setup.

Good times.

Write off all those "Wonder 9's". I tried to get into the 21st century with a Sig 938 but always worried about shooting my nuts off. I went back to my S&W Model 60 and it was a sigh of relief. If something works why fix it? I fell to the pressure of young upstarts calling me an old fart because of my choice of personal protection.

There is a firing pin block that moves out of the way when the trigger is pulled. It won’t go bang if the hammer falls if the trigger isn’t pulled.

Back
Top Bottom