Handgun purchase options

I have the choice between a Ruger P95 and a Smith & Wesson SW9VE.

Any feedback from the pros would be much appreciated. Which one would you chose and why?

I dislike both, but given a choice I'd much rather have the Ruger. The trigger on the smegma is dreadful.

-Mike

I have the choice between a Ruger P95 and a Smith & Wesson SW9VE.

Any feedback from the pros would be much appreciated. Which one would you chose and why?

I am deciding between the Sigma 9mm or Ruger SR9. I thought the P95 was not mass complaint?? Has to be a P95D right? Anyone know the difference?

I wouldn't get either but if I had to choose I'd take the Ruger. The Sigma has not been very durable in my limited experience. The extractor broke after a few hundred rounds.

not owning the specific ruger mentioned, id say that you really cant crap on the ruger, you can bet that its built like a tank, reliable, large, blocky, but id guess pretty sweet as well, as all rugers are. yep, i like rugers. the next time i have an extra $1000.00 laying around for what would surely be a very nice 1911,,, i'll buy 2 rugers :)

Last edited:
I am deciding between the Sigma 9mm or Ruger SR9. I thought the P95 was not mass complaint?? Has to be a P95D right? Anyone know the difference?

You are right, I was looking at the wrong roster. In 2008 the P95 was compliant and in 2009 it's not. Go figure, I guess that stops the fun. Not sure what the difference is and why it went non compliant.

With mass legislators anything can be possible. Anywho I was looking at the P95 in NH and the price was $350 and the SW9VE was $369. Are those good prices?

Any recommendation for the price range for a decent 9mm?

You are right, I was looking at the wrong roster. In 2008 the P95 was compliant and in 2009 it's not. Go figure, I guess that stops the fun. Not sure what the difference is and why it went non compliant.

With mass legislators anything can be possible. Anywho I was looking at the P95 in NH and the price was $350 and the SW9VE was $369. Are those good prices?

Any recommendation for the price range for a decent 9mm?

In the Four Seasons email they are advertising the SW9VE for $350 and then there is a mail in rebate for $50 or two free mags.

$300 bucks for a brand new gun built by a top notch company is tough to beat. If it was a total piece of crap like everyone was trying to get you to believe S&W wouldn't put their name on it.

If by rare chance your extractor breaks. You can send it back to S&W and they will fix it no questions asked.

In the Four Seasons email they are advertising the SW9VE for $350 and then there is a mail in rebate for $50 or two free mags.

$300 bucks for a brand new gun built by a top notch company is tough to beat. If it was a total piece of crap like everyone was trying to get you to believe S&W wouldn't put their name on it.

If by rare chance your extractor breaks. You can send it back to S&W and they will fix it no questions asked.
A number of folks here have had Sigmas. Their near universal opinion is that they are, in fact, a POS. An M&P is not much more money, and it is a whole lot more gun.

A number of folks here have had Sigmas. Their near universal opinion is that they are, in fact, a POS. An M&P is not much more money, and it is a whole lot more gun.

I concur!

I bought one of their first models and first range trip (NIB) it fired 2 mags before FIVE internal parts broke and ti consistently dropped every mag inserted in the mag well. It had a terrible trigger as well. S&W fixed it and I sold it.

Discussed this gun with Chief Ron Glidden and he told me that he tried them out for the PD and due to unreliability issues, returned them and bought different guns.

Back in the days of the MAF Email List, we had a member who worked on the Sigma line at S&W. He admitted that they were severely lacking in QC

Now, they may have fixed the design over the years, but for my money I would never take one as a gift (unless I re-sold it unfired)!!

The M&P is a "solid" gun, reliable (check out www.pistol-training.com for the brutality test he did), it needs a trigger job but that's all (and cheap at $65-125 depending on who you have do the work locally).

I had a sigma and traded it off for something else the trigger was aw.

A friend of mine has the P95 and it is a big gun but I shot it very well. So if you looking for something full size and dependable it is a good option.

Hope this helps.

I also have a M&P9C it has a heavy trigger but better than the Sigma.

My favorite 9mm is the Glock 19 but I bought mine back when you could buy them new in this state and not at a premium.

i'm in the "save your money" camp on this one. you'll be able to afford something much nicer and that you will be far happier with later on down the line rather than be stuck with a gun you want to unload but can't get back what you paid for it brand new.

Can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this? When I was shopping for my 9mm I was told by my local gun shop owner that S&W produced the Sigma line in anticipation of a government contract that did not go through and they consequently tried to dump the guns by selling them pretty cheap; ie tons of sigmas and not really expensive. Can this be true?

Can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this? When I was shopping for my 9mm I was told by my local gun shop owner that S&W produced the Sigma line in anticipation of a government contract that did not go through and they consequently tried to dump the guns by selling them pretty cheap; ie tons of sigmas and not really expensive. Can this be true?

Sounds like gun shop bloviation to me. S+W still makes new smegmas, er, Sigmas... today.

They're cheap because they're cheap. You don't get what you didn't pay
for. There's no conspiracy behind the cost of those guns. They are what
they are. [laugh]

-Mike

Gun shop

Thanks for all your feedback. I will stay away from the SW9VE but the ruger p95 is not mass compliant. Anyone knows a good gun store inteh northshore area that i might find a good deal?

Thanks for all your feedback. I will stay away from the SW9VE but the ruger p95 is not mass compliant. Anyone knows a good gun store inteh northshore area that i might find a good deal?

NRA4Life

I saw the Ruger P95DC on the website of Northshore Firearms in Middletown. There was also one for sale used at American Firearms School in N. Attlboro; I saw it on Saturday. The gun it just to bulky and wide for my hands, but feels solid.

link http://www.northshorefirearms.com/id87.html

The P95DC is complaint.

I would suggest you go to the classifieds section and buy one there.
No tax, likely cheaper than you can find in any store.

This attitude I truly do not understand. Have Sigs, S&W's, Kimbers, L.A.R. Grizzly, etc. Have had Colt, Springfield and so on. What is it in your opinion that makes Glock superior over all else? Just curious. [wink]

pull trigger, bang - rinse and repeat [grin]

Back
Top Bottom