• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsite Scout Rifle Vs Mini-14

Another thought is to get a standard Saiga rifle in one of the many chamberings they're offered in. I'd still get 7.62x39 but that's only because its a great intermediate cartridge and always around for fairly cheap money.

You can even get aftermarket mags over 10rds with bullet guides so you don't have to instal one if you don't want.

Then later on if you want you can do the conversion to traditional AK style, or leave it in the hunting rifle configuration.

Its a rifle that will function time and time again no matter if its dirty, or clean and will shoot any ammo you feed it.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

I thought of M1 carbine but my dad wants a gun that can use a suppressor so he doesn't piss off the neighbors (but we have PLENTY of land[sad]) but i will ask him about it[smile].

A mini-14 isn't exactly the best platform to try and put a suppressor on.

If that's really what he wants to do - I think what we have done is gone full circle back to recommending an AR rifle of some form.

You can put a suppressor on a Mini-14 - and you can also put one on an M1 Carbine. It's just going to be a lot easier to do it on an AR because you will find stuff commonly available.

If the whole "killy" look of the AR turns your dad off for some reason (quite frankly I think if you ever convinced him to just get an AR he would get over that soon enough) - then maybe what you need to do is build your own and get one of these stocks for it:

AR-15woodRRA.gif

Mini 14 looks cool.

American-RugerMini14-1.jpg

600px-ATeamMini14.jpg

[rofl][laugh2]

Seriously. I remember when the ads for that Clooney movie came out and they said he was supposed to be a sniper or an assasin or something - and I saw him carrying a Mini-14.

I started laughing my ass off. The wife asked what was so funny - I said: "those hollywood retards have Clooney carrying a Mini14 and he's supposed to be secret operative sniper or something - that's just freaking funny."

She had no idea what I was talking about.

I thought of M1 carbine but my dad wants a gun that can use a suppressor so he doesn't piss off the neighbors (but we have PLENTY of land[sad]) but i will ask him about it[smile].
You want a gun that wont look evil, but you want to put a suppressor on the gun, so your neighbors will think you are a ninja. DUDE, WTF?

I am going to stop posting before we see NES members getting arrested for helping a mass murderer choose his gun. Please disregard my earlier posts, they are all shitty guns to kill people with.

Martha: I didnt help him, please dont send a swat team, I have two small dogs.

Last edited:
You want a gun that wont look evil, but you want to put a suppressor on the gun, so your neighbors will think you are a ninja. DUDE, WTF?

It's sort of like being a horny teenager - seeing a really hot chick - having one of your friends tell you she's a transvestite - but wanting to do it anyway.

It's called being conflicted.

But we are getting a rifle not a pistol...........

Delta Elite 10mm [wink]

Ok sorry, just piling on...

There have been a lot of great recommendations made in the thread so far that I'd go for over either the Gunsite Scout or the Mini 14, for reasons already explained.

I'd go for a 14.5" middy AR-15 as my first choice, but you'll have to get your Dad past the Evil Black Killy aspect first.

Whatever you guys end up with, have fun and shoot the hell out it![thumbsup]

Last edited:

I am going to stop posting before we see NES members getting arrested for helping a mass murderer choose his gun. Please disregard my earlier posts, they are all shitty guns to kill people with.

Martha: I didnt help him, please dont send a swat team, I have two small dogs.

Ha Ha very funny but the evil AR joke is old and guys my dad has told me that he was very confused about the AR business and he says he is sorry for calling a AR-15 a assault rifle and about the "evil" looking guns. Are you all happy now? And by the way my dad should be sending in the money for the membership in a day or so.

Last edited:
NE-GunNut said:
Can I not go then?

Blitz1 will not guarantee your safety and if you get lost, you'll be on your own. [laugh]

My advice is to bring your dad. Become a member here and registered an event (when available).

Sent from iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Blitz1 will not guarantee your safety and if you get lost, you'll be on your own. [laugh]

My advice is to bring your dad. Become a member here and registered an event (when available).

Especially around him ^
Just sayin'
He's sketchy.

Especially around him ^
Just sayin'
He's sketchy.
Yeah I was not planing to go there myself I just got confused and thought that Blitz meant you had to be above a certain age.

Blitz1 said:
Especially around him ^
Just sayin'
He's sketchy.

LOL, he's a pilot on training that interested on a suppressed mini-14. I'll react similar too.

It's sort of like being a horny teenager - seeing a really hot chick - having one of your friends tell you she's a transvestite - but wanting to do it anyway.

It's called being conflicted.

I think if you want to do a transvestite even after you found out she is a he, then you are probably just gay. But I get your point.

Accurizing the mini-14

No one has mentioned this yet, but there are a number of options for improving the accuracy of the mini-14. The most inexpensive are barrel struts that improve the accuracy and consistency of the rifle as the barrel gets hotter. Here's Jeff Quinn describing this solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-29ZE6vOnc
At least two other companies make barrel struts as well:
http://www.mo-rod.com/

http://www.accu-strut.com/

These are do-it-yourself modifications with parts costing less than $100.

If you want a tack-driver, there are several companies that will re-barrel your rifle and guarantee sub-MOA accuracy, e.g.
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php
This is an expensive option ($500-800). The company also sells complete rifles in a variety of configurations.

The company's web site has a mini-14 vs. AR-15 pros/cons comparison:
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php

And, for the sake of completeness, I should mention that Ruger sells a target model of the mini-14, with two different stock options:
http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14TargetRifle/models.html
GunBlast review by Jeff Quinn:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Mini14Target.htm

Last edited:
Plus most of the barrel issues pertain to the original pencil barrels. The newer tapered barrels are decently accurate out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom