Gunsite Scout Rifle Vs Mini-14

I agree its painful to listen to someone talking about "evil looking" ARs, FALs, SKS, etc because it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the differences between different fireams. I actually find the prejudice against the Mini-14 equally painful because I have a 170 series and it groups consistantly under 1.5" at 100 yards, but it's 34 years old, so a lot might have changed since then. But functionally, it fires the same round and has the same magazine capacity as an AR-15.

You don't even have to point it. Just rack the slide and bad guys turn tail & run.

Was told that earlier today by someone asking me for a recommendation for a home defense shotgun. Told them if they're not going to go to the range to practice at least 6 times per year, buy a break action side-by-side shotgun rather than counting on the sound of racking the action of a pump.

PTR-91 with wooden G3 furniture set or cetme (stick with the PTR, cetme is hit or miss). Much less "killy", $ 0.99 mags, great barrel, not-soindestructible roller locking system, will cycle almostanything you feed it, easy to scope and more accurate than you'll be. Not cheap to shoot.

cetme.jpg

FIFY
Anything over 150 grs will reduce the rollers' lifetime.
Still trying to set aside the funds for a friend's HK41[thinking]

OMG, those evil looking black guns. The meaner looking the better! now if you want public acceptance, don't get one and just call law enforcement for pest control and home protection. or a pink gun.
Pest control means many things[wink]. guys my dad isn't as much as a gun nut as me.[grin]

I agree its painful to listen to someone talking about "evil looking" ARs, FALs, SKS, etc because it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the differences between different fireams. I actually find the prejudice against the Mini-14 equally painful because I have a 170 series and it groups consistantly under 1.5" at 100 yards, but it's 34 years old, so a lot might have changed since then. But functionally, it fires the same round and has the same magazine capacity as an AR-15.
My Dad does not me he doesn't hate assault rifles he is just thinking that I'm getting into guns too much which I'm not because I studying for flight training.

I haven't had a chance to read thru this entire thread - yet. But from what I have read so far it looks like the choice you are trying to make is basically between a smaller caliber rifle that doesn't look all "killy" and "assaulty" - and a .308 rifle that doesn't look all "killy" and "assaulty".

First off I think you should look at what you're trying to do with it. If you are talking home defense and killing varmints - then stick with the smaller caliber. .308 is overkill - and a lot more expensive to buy the gun - and to buy the ammo for.

But if you have to go .308 a scout type rifle is a good choice if you don't want a battle rifle or an "assault" rifle.

FN makes a nice option if you want to go .308:

http://www.gunblast.com/FN-AR.htm

But personally - I think you should stick with something in a smaller caliber based on the description of what you are looking for.

One option (don't know if it's been mentioned yet in this thread) - is to get an M1 Carbine. The mags will be more freely available than the Mini14 mags - they are great little carbine - the only downside is that the ammo will be more expensive than .223. But the design is battle proven - and they are a great little rifle to shoot. Auto Ordnance makes a new one - or there are plenty of real live WW2 ones still out there available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine

Another option is to find a rifle that takes AR mags (so you will EASILY be able to find mags for it) - but doesn't look as "evil" as an AR does

Remington makes a pump action rifle in .223 - that takes AR mags
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm

If you absolutely have your heart set on a mini-14 - the Gunblast guy doesn't seem to think they are all that bad:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_RanchRifle.htm
I thought of M1 carbine but my dad wants a gun that can use a suppressor so he doesn't piss off the neighbors (but we have PLENTY of land[sad]) but i will ask him about it[smile].

You might first start by stop calling any firearm an "assault rifle."

it's a firearm. Or a gun. It's not a Weapon, and certainly not an "assault weapon." A lot of what you're up against is perception.

You're looking for a TOOL. A multi-purpose tool, but a tool nonetheless. A 21st-century multi-purpose tool is going to "look" different than any single-purpose (e.g. bolt-action hunting rifle) 20th century tool. "The right tool for the job" could mean different things to different people. An AR (stand for Armalite Rifle, and nothing else!) is a multi-configurable tool, based on a time-tested platform.

Hopefully you can overcome his (and apparently your mother's?) objection by changing their perception, without actually changing your goal (which is to get the best tool for the job(s) you need a firearm to do).

& remind him you're not becoming a "gun nut." You're a firm believer in civil rights, not the least of which is the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed (not granted) by the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

Has your dad read this thread?

My Dad does not me he doesn't hate assault rifles he is just thinking that I'm getting into guns too much which I'm not because I studying for flight training.

Who cares? You say it like it's a bad thing. If it's a hobby you're looking for, organized shooting is as big of a hobby as anything else. They are an investment, the responsibility of every warm blooded american to own at least 5 and enough ammo to fight off a chinese battalion. Guns are a hell of a lot more productive than world of warcraft or battle simulators. What would you rather do, nhl 2012 in front of a glowing screen for three hours, or a tactical course designed to create stress while busting off a few hundred (or thousand depending on course) 62 gr penetrator rounds at placed targets behind cover, moving, in teams, etc. If NHL is your hobby, it sounds pretty damn weak next to the other one, just my opinion.

If it gets you outside, scares liberals, involves social interaction, teaches you about life, chucks lead at unimaginable speeds, and it's fun, what's the problem with it? Sounds pretty effin sweet to me. I'm sure there's more than a few good people on this forum in your area that would love to turn you and your dad into believers. You're missing out man.

If you get the barrel threaded for the suppressor, an M-1 Carbine (.30 Carbine) will work with any 7.62mm (.30 Caliber) supressor. It has the same bore diameter as the .308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO

You dad is opposed to an AR-15 patterned rifle, but ok with a sound suppressor? First time I've seen that combo.

I thought of M1 carbine but my dad wants a gun that can use a suppressor so he doesn't piss off the neighbors (but we have PLENTY of land[sad]) but i will ask him about it[smile].
[rolleyes]

Your .308 bullet is going to be traveling at supersonic speeds, so the sound is still going to be loud. If you really want to keep the gun quiet, then you will need a rifle chambered in a specialized caliber (e.g., .300AAC), and the subsonic speed will bring with it other issues.

Who cares? You say it like it's a bad thing. If it's a hobby you're looking for, organized shooting is as big of a hobby as anything else. They are an investment, the responsibility of every warm blooded american to own at least 5 and enough ammo to fight off a chinese battalion. Guns are a hell of a lot more productive than world of warcraft or battle simulators. What would you rather do, nhl 2012 in front of a glowing screen for three hours, or a tactical course designed to create stress while busting off a few hundred (or thousand depending on course) 62 gr penetrator rounds at placed targets behind cover, moving, in teams, etc. If NHL is your hobby, it sounds pretty damn weak next to the other one, just my opinion.

If it gets you outside, scares liberals, involves social interaction, teaches you about life, chucks lead at unimaginable speeds, and it's fun, what's the problem with it? Sounds pretty effin sweet to me. I'm sure there's more than a few good people on this forum in your area that would love to turn you and your dad into believers. You're missing out man.
He thinks that I am too young to be a Firm believer in civil rights he always wants me to get into business stuff which I don't like and my Mom just cares for my safety. I actually went with him to the Manchester firing line and shot a .357 mag and a FN 5.7. He was thinking of getting cause of the 20 round magizine.

If you get the barrel threaded for the suppressor, an M-1 Carbine (.30 Carbine) will work with any 7.62mm (.30 Caliber) supressor. It has the same bore diameter as the .308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO

You dad is opposed to an AR-15 patterned rifle, but ok with a sound suppressor? First time I've seen that combo.
Yep I know it sounds crazy.

why is everyone on here so anti-mini 14? I just shot one for the first time sunday that my dad handed down to me. I had a blast shooting it. anyone care to elaborate whats so bad about them just for my knowledge

He thinks that I am too young to be a Firm believer in civil rights he always wants me to get into business stuff which I don't like and my Mom just cares for my safety. I actually went with him to the Manchester firing line and shot a .357 mag and a FN 5.7. He was thinking of getting cause of the 20 round magizine.

So he won't buy an AR, but he was considering buying an FN FiveSeven, which is pretty much the antis favorite handgun to bash?

Does.... not.... compute. [rofl]

-Mike

why is everyone on here so anti-mini 14? I just shot one for the first time sunday that my dad handed down to me. I had a blast shooting it. anyone care to elaborate whats so bad about them just for my knowledge

Until recently, they have been inaccurate. Usable preban magazines are hard to find and expensive. Little aftermarket support.

In contrast, AR15s are accurate out of the box and can be made very, very accurate. Preban magazines are inexpensive and readily available. And they can be customized to your heart's content.

M1911,

I don't see any accuracy issues with my 1978 Mini-14, but there certainly could have been a time between now and then when accuracy standards dropped off.

The pre-ban magazine issue makes sense given that the majority of the people here at in MA and limited to preban mags. OP and myself are both from NH, so large cap magazines are not an issue and not more expensive than AR-15 mags. - can even get a 100rd double drum for the Mini-14.

the versitility of the modular rifle is an obvious advantage of the AR-15 platform, but still no reason to knock the Mini-14.

M1911,

I don't see any accuracy issues with my 1978 Mini-14, but there certainly could have been a time between now and then when accuracy standards dropped off.

Most everyone that I've spoken to who has a Mini-14 has told me that the accuracy simply isn't very good. Maybe 4 MOA. My Colt sporter is quite a bit better than that and an AR15 configured for service rifle is in a whole different league.

Michael,

OP said he's not looking for something that looks like a modern miliary stylized rifle, which all of those do, even with the wood furniture.

maybe they should sell a gun that doesnt look like a gun.

Maybe they should make FMGs legal in MA, so people will think you are carrying a radio or a flashlight

so, your dad only wants you to get into guns a little? WTF does that mean?

please define: A little, a lot and just right

whats does that even have to do with flight training?

I can respect that. But then again, I was in the Navy.

wow, a rare find. A navy guy that will joke about it. +1 for you.

You chase that dream.

I will.

Last edited:
Doesn't meet all your criteria, but how about a Ruger 44 Carbine?

Ruger44carbine.jpg

They haven't been in production for a while, but they're still around. Doesn't get much more non-killy looking while still being killy than those.

I'm sure EC knows where you can get a heavy enough 44 bullet to stay subsonic so you can supress it effectively, too.

Realistically, put me on the "just buy an AR" side, too. From Ruger, yet.

p5110007.jpg

Welcome NE-GunNut!

Check out an SKS or a Saiga 223 or 308 sporterized rifle. All great choices and well within your price range.

As far as the Mini-14, remember the A-Team? Those guys fired about 27,000 rounds. Did they ever hit anything? Nope. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
M1911,

The pre-ban magazine issue makes sense given that the majority of the people here at in MA and limited to preban mags. OP and myself are both from NH, so large cap magazines are not an issue and not more expensive than AR-15 mags. - can even get a 100rd double drum for the Mini-14.

the versitility of the modular rifle is an obvious advantage of the AR-15 platform, but still no reason to knock the Mini-14.

No one likes their baby called ugly, but the Mini-14 is just that. Horrible vertical stringing as the barrel heats even a bit. Start shooting remotely fast, and no wonder the A-team couldn't hit anything. Buying my Mini-14 was the biggest bonehead move I made in the gun-buying arena. So glad I sold it.

The Mini-30, IIRC, has the wrong size barrel dimension for 7.62x39 to be really accurate, as well.

Glad yours shoots well for you, but it's the exception that proves the rule.

Now the .44Mag carbine, that's great out-of-the box thinking. Lots of power with no image problem, and still had the Ruger label.

NE-GunNut I'll tell you what, if you want to come to a shoot at Monadnock (there are some coming soon), you can and your Dad come as my guests, I'll pay for your tickets. Bring money for ammo and you'll be able to shoot almost any firearm you can think of. Find out what you like and go from there.

NE-GunNut I'll tell you what, if you want to come to a shoot at Monadnock (there are some coming soon), you can and your Dad come as my guests, I'll pay for your tickets. Bring money for ammo and you'll be able to shoot almost any firearm you can think of. Find out what you like and go from there.
Thanks I will tell my dad and see if its okay.

Back
Top Bottom