Gunsite Scout Rifle Vs Mini-14

1. My dad and I need a gun that between .223 and .308 caliber

Many other choices than the two you are going between.

2. Long before we wanted a Ruger firearm

Id go with a mini 30 before a 14

3. It was a gun that had at least a 10 round clip and a price range between 650-950 bucks

Many other rifles that are more well suited for HD and plinking that have more than 10 rounds mags.

4. Easy maintenance (why I like bolt-action

You have a point here. But its not like you have an arsenal that you need to keep up with constant cleaning.

5. I don't the AR platform because of maintenance

How would you know this if you've never had experience maintaining an ar? I have a bargain build ar and I didnt clean it for 3 range trips and put about 1000 rounds thru it with nothing more than oiling the bolt.

6. My dad does not like to own a assault rifle looking gun

Who is going to have an issue with an ARs looks? Is he going to be bringing it to town meetings or church gatherings or something?

7. I know how stupid that sounds

The only thing I am not in disagreement with you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

This is true. He could go for an AK. Only the media thinks those are assault rifles. Everyone else knows that if you own one, you're a goat raping, illiterate, mud hut dwelling, sexual deviant who uses Unicef editions of Das Kapital and the Koran as doorstops. If you could afford a door or were smart enough to make one.

HEY!!!! Good enough for the A TEAM good enough for me[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Maybe you and your Dad should stick with something simple, your parents seem the type that see evil in everything.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/han...n-action-stock-nickel-rcvr-blue-p-115055.html

I am so sorry every one for being a complete newbie here.

[laugh] Don't worry about it, we were all new once.

You should consider going green on here (becoming a member, it's only $21) and having your dad come out to a member shoot. I think his mind would be changed pretty quickly about wanting an AR-15.

Don't be, dude. It's how you learn. [wink]

This...

You should consider going green on here (becoming a member, it's only $21) and having your dad come out to a member shoot. I think his mind would be changed pretty quickly about wanting an AR-15.

...and this. Welcome aboard. [cheers]

My first gun I ever shot was a AR-15 he shot it too he likes shooting them all trust me its just OWNING one. LOL

Here you go, dude. Ruger with a little more oomph than a .22.

http://www.ruger.com/products/no1Tropical/specSheets/11324.html

[laugh] I hear there are a lot of pest elephants in Amherst.

OP: I think you might have a little trouble getting a varmint/plinking/HD gun all rolled into one without going with an AR or similar.

If you want something less killy-looking for plinking and pest control, just about any bolt-action rifle chambered in .223 should do the trick. Check out Savage and Remington in addition to Ruger.

A bolt gun, however, won't be appropriate for HD use. Yes, it can be done, but that don't make it smart. Get a Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 with a 18" barrel. With an additional barrel or two, it can also be used for trap/skeet/clays and any hunting you might want to do.

New guy, you're in NH. Newsflash: Regardless of what the television tells you and what massachusetts would like you to think, you're in the minority of gun owners if you don't have an AR. Your dad, and I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, clearly doesn't know the current firearms climate up there. You've got one of the most liberty drenched states in the continental united states, right under your feet. Appreciate it. Open carry, buy evil black rifles, get supressors, get nfa items, if you have money get yourself some MGs, ENJOY IT!! If your dad doesn't want an AR, oh well, you should get one yourself, and when he shoots yours and wants it, tell him to pound sand and sell his fudded out ruger pos for a real rifle.

With that said, welcome.

AR platform my dad doesn't like because it looks like a assault rifle and he doesn't want people to think he a gunman or something and yes I know how stupid it sounds but its true.

pinkar1.JPG

Have your Dad look at this site
http://www.ar15.com/
It might change his mind. My wife wasnt thrilled when I built one but she came around. Tell your Dad that a car is more dangerous in the hands of a teenager.

If you're set on a Ruger a Mini 30 would be better suited for home defense over a 14. The rifle platform is fine for what its intended for and a better choice over a bolt action.

You know what . .. Buy the Scout rifle. It's cool. Forget the Mini-14. Take the .308 to a range , do it a lot. before the summer is out your dad will change his mind about the AR15.

The 5th rule of Guns is : " I only need one more ... then I'm done. Really "

AR platform my dad doesn't like because it looks like a assault rifle and he doesn't want people to think he a gunman or something and yes I know how stupid it sounds but its true.

then you need a VZ58. The sheep wont think anything because they will be too scared running away. baaa! baaaaaaaaaa!

Like o many others said: Stay away from the Mini 14.

what about an M1A? those are nice guns.

What? Someone doesn't want an AR? That's just crazy. I'm wanting my third.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

I dont want an AR. I think they are totally gay.

Look at my sig line.

If you're set on a Ruger a Mini 30 would be better suited for home defense over a 14. The rifle platform is fine for what its intended for and a better choice over a bolt action.
Ray hit it on the head!! A mini 30 shoots the 7.62x39, a cheaper round per shot, especially if you find the boxes of Yugo stuff, it's like 1120 rounds for 200 bucks or something ridiculous like that. It actually will hit a barn at 200 yards also. How I know, I have both the mini 14 and mini 30 and when I put those 40 round mags with the folding stock closed, it looks nothing like an evil AR, what's even better is it bump fires like crazy!!

Ray hit it on the head!! A mini 30 shoots the 7.62x39, a cheaper round per shot, especially if you find the boxes of Yugo stuff, it's like 1120 rounds for 200 bucks or something ridiculous like that. It actually will hit a barn at 200 yards also. How I know, I have both the mini 14 and mini 30 and when I put those 40 round mags with the folding stock closed, it looks nothing like an evil AR, what's even better is it bump fires like crazy!!

Hey! I recommended the Thirty in the thread first! Gimme me some reps! ;)

I know everyone is hung up on the AR, but would it be out of place to suggest a .357 mag.lever gun like a marlin? Seems.it would handle.everything they are looking for.

I know everyone is hung up on the AR, but would it be out of place to suggest a .357 mag.lever gun like a marlin? Seems.it would handle.everything they are looking for.

I have two of these and they're great fun to shoot (I had to buy a second one because my daughter got so attached to the first). Sometimes they're hard to find. There are a few on GunBroker.com now, for example

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=282850646

Back
Top Bottom