Gunsite Scout Rifle Vs Mini-14

I know everyone is hung up on the AR, but would it be out of place to suggest a .357 mag.lever gun like a marlin? Seems.it would handle.everything they are looking for.

Yup. Or a .44 or .30-30 or most any lever-action deer rifle. It being NH, they're not hard to find.

Marlin 1894 in 357 is a great idea. I have one and love it. Find one, buy it and be happy.

However, there is nothing wrong with a recent production Mini 14. I myself can not fall in love with an AR. I know that is sacrilege. I am sorry. I have a recent Mini 14 in stainless with a wood stock. It is 100% reliable with even the dirt cheap $5/box Tula from Walmart. I can hit what I see, granted I can't see very far. I love that thing.
KMINI1420.jpg
Hickok45 likes the Mini 14:
[video=youtube_share;ej39umHaB08]http://youtu.be/ej39umHaB08[/video]
[video=youtube_share;WSihf_ZuAxw]http://youtu.be/WSihf_ZuAxw[/video]

I know everyone is hung up on the AR, but would it be out of place to suggest a .357 mag.lever gun like a marlin? Seems.it would handle.everything they are looking for.

I've got a Marlin 1894c in .38/.357 and it's easily one of my favorite rifles. The kick is barely more than a 10/22 with light .38 loads and not a whole lot more with .357. I'd feel very comfortable using it for home defense as well.

If you're set on a Ruger a Mini 30 would be better suited for home defense over a 14. The rifle platform is fine for what its intended for and a better choice over a bolt action.

I'm surprised you didn't recommend an SKS.

I will though. Get an SKS.

I'm surprised you didn't recommend an SKS.

I will though. Get an SKS.

Actually the ideal gun for home defense use IMO is a PG converted Saiga 12 with 12 round drum. [smile]

The OP said they wanted a Ruger that could use a mag over 10 rounds and nothing resembling an assault type rifle. Thats why a Mini 30 comes to mind.

pinkar1.JPG

I am a dude, and I want that. I want to show up to a shoot and out shoot everyone there with the gayest looking gun.

Marlin 1894 in 357 is a great idea. I have one and love it. Find one, buy it and be happy.

However, there is nothing wrong with a recent production Mini 14. I myself can not fall in love with an AR. I know that is sacrilege. I am sorry. I have a recent Mini 14 in stainless with a wood stock. It is 100% reliable with even the dirt cheap $5/box Tula from Walmart. I can hit what I see, granted I can't see very far. I love that thing.
View attachment 29901
Hickok45 likes the Mini 14:
[video=youtube_share;ej39umHaB08]http://youtu.be/ej39umHaB08[/video]
[video=youtube_share;WSihf_ZuAxw]http://youtu.be/WSihf_ZuAxw[/video]

Accuracy aside the problem I have with the gun is you buy like 4 good 20 or 30 round mags and you have more money in mags than the gun is worth. [laugh]

-Mike

Accuracy aside the problem I have with the gun is you buy like 4 good 20 or 30 round mags and you have more money in mags than the gun is worth. [laugh]

-Mike

Best bargain are the Eagle 30rd plastic mags. They're the only aftermarket mags that feed 100% and are like $15.

Actually the ideal gun for home defense use IMO is a PG converted Saiga 12 with 12 round drum. [smile]

The OP said they wanted a Ruger that could use a mag over 10 rounds and nothing resembling an assault type rifle. Thats why a Mini 30 comes to mind.

Wait to everyone here home defense IS NOT the reason for the purchase the gun I also have nothing wrong with the AR-15 MY DAD DOES.

Wait to everyone here home defense IS NOT the reason for the purchase the gun I also have nothing wrong with the AR-15 MY DAD DOES.

Ok, you said "some Pest control, plinking, and if need be home defense"

If it were me I'd go with a semi auto instead of a bolt action. Quicker follow up shots to get rid of pests and if need be in a home defense situation. Plus its more fun for plinking and not to mention 7.62x39 is a lot cheaper than 308.

A Mini 30 seems better suited for you and your dad.

mini30.jpg

Ok, you said "some Pest control, plinking, and if need be home defense"

If it were me I'd go with a semi auto instead of a bolt action. Quicker follow up shots to get rid of pests and if need be in a home defense situation. Plus its more fun for plinking and not to mention 7.62x39 is a lot cheaper than 308.

A Mini 30 seems better suited for you and your dad.

mini30.jpg

Ray, is it possible your perspective is colored by the fact that you already have 172 other guns that chamber 7.62x39 and probably have a cache of ammo worthy of the show Horders? Hmmm Ray? Fess up.[smile]

how about a Mossberg MVP? saw one at nicks sport shop in palmer they are nice but wicked heavy.

stock upgrade is needed if you plan on carry it. none are really out there but you can always have a place like mcmillan do a inlet for it.

Ray, is it possible your perspective is colored by the fact that you already have 172 other guns that chamber 7.62x39 and probably have a cache of ammo worthy of the show Horders? Hmmm Ray? Fess up.[smile]

I don't like guns, they're dangerous. Every once in a while I like to get involved in one of these "What should I get" threads and wait for the mayhem.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom