Gunsite Scout Rifle Vs Mini-14

I don't like guns, they're dangerous. Every once in a while I like to get involved in one of these "What should I get" threads and wait for the mayhem.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
I had a feeling this would explode next time I should very carefully choose my words and questions[thinking]

Last edited:
Levity keeps us sorta sane. Go buy the Ruger and shoot it as often as yo can afford to.
Although some people here seem abrasive, they're njust poking fun and there are a ton of "inside" jokes. Stick around, you'll pick them out.

Unless you're getting attacked by a barn. Inside of 50 yards.

Maybe there's been some serious changes in the Mini-14 since they were introduced in 1977, but I've never had an accuracy problem with my 170 series.

Where is all this "can't hit minute of barn at 50 yards" coming from?

Sure, they're no hand selected bolt action rifle or custom tuned AR, but at least the original models shoot pretty well.

The A Team fired 50,000 rounds and never killed anyone.

Wouldn't have helped their case that they'd been framed if they ran around committing murder now. They needed an accurate rifle to make sure they COULD fire 50,000 rounds and never kill anyone.

JuergenG said:
You gotta borrow Nicole's EPR, then.

I was just going to say...if he wants to have the gayest gun at the shoot he needs to remember he is competing against a pink digicam rifle with bunnies on it and bubblegum in the pistol grip. I will applaud whoever can decisively top that. :)

OMG, those evil looking black guns. The meaner looking the better! now if you want public acceptance, don't get one and just call law enforcement for pest control and home protection. or a pink gun.

AR platform my dad doesn't like because it looks like a assault rifle and he doesn't want people to think he a gunman or something and yes I know how stupid it sounds but its true.

I was just going to say...if he wants to have the gayest gun at the shoot he needs to remember he is competing against a pink digicam rifle with bunnies on it and bubblegum in the pistol grip. I will applaud whoever can decisively top that. :)

just show up with an AR with a Justin Bieber sticker on the stock

Nicole, how does this sound:

Pink and Purple tiger stripe camo AR with white pistol grip, right and rear sights, accessory rails and dust cover and flash suppressor. Silver ends on the handguard and charging handle for some "bling" Braided pink, purple red and white sling, smily faces on the insides of the flip-up dust caps for the pink red-dot scope and a my little pony unicorn on the right side of the stock.

Or pick your favorate carebear and ceramicoat the AR in their color with white pistol grip, stock and handguard, then stensil their chest symbol onto the right side of the stock and inside of the front flip-up dust cover for a red-dot scope (matched to their color of course) -- gives all new meaning to "Carebear Stare"

i'll wear my matching bikini once the weather warms up.

Unless you've a got clocktower.

oh, charles.

I haven't had a chance to read thru this entire thread - yet. But from what I have read so far it looks like the choice you are trying to make is basically between a smaller caliber rifle that doesn't look all "killy" and "assaulty" - and a .308 rifle that doesn't look all "killy" and "assaulty".

First off I think you should look at what you're trying to do with it. If you are talking home defense and killing varmints - then stick with the smaller caliber. .308 is overkill - and a lot more expensive to buy the gun - and to buy the ammo for.

But if you have to go .308 a scout type rifle is a good choice if you don't want a battle rifle or an "assault" rifle.

FN makes a nice option if you want to go .308:

http://www.gunblast.com/FN-AR.htm

But personally - I think you should stick with something in a smaller caliber based on the description of what you are looking for.

One option (don't know if it's been mentioned yet in this thread) - is to get an M1 Carbine. The mags will be more freely available than the Mini14 mags - they are great little carbine - the only downside is that the ammo will be more expensive than .223. But the design is battle proven - and they are a great little rifle to shoot. Auto Ordnance makes a new one - or there are plenty of real live WW2 ones still out there available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine

Another option is to find a rifle that takes AR mags (so you will EASILY be able to find mags for it) - but doesn't look as "evil" as an AR does

Remington makes a pump action rifle in .223 - that takes AR mags
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7615.htm

If you absolutely have your heart set on a mini-14 - the Gunblast guy doesn't seem to think they are all that bad:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_RanchRifle.htm

PTR-91 with wooden G3 furniture set or cetme (stick with the PTR, cetme is hit or miss). Much less "killy", $ 0.99 mags, great barrel, indestructible roller locking system, will cycle anything you feed it, easy to scope and more accurate than you'll be. Not cheap to shoot.

cetme.jpg

PSL (cheap to shoot) or Saiganov

psl_1.jpg

MVC-020S.JPG

or if you want to be the envy of everyone on NES, while draining quite a few bucks from your account, you could always find a tigr and convert it to SVD so we can all drool on our keyboards

SVD_Dragunov.jpg

I'm surprised I'm the first to mention any of these

Michael,

OP said he's not looking for something that looks like a modern miliary stylized rifle, which all of those do, even with the wood furniture.

Michael,

OP said he's not looking for something that looks like a modern miliary stylized rifle, which all of those do, even with the wood furniture.

I know. It's just so painful to listen to those words he uttered concerning "doesn't want an assault rifle" and "looking like a gunman". I was hoping that maybe the pictures of those might offer him a better alternative than a sorry excuse for a rifle (mini 14), maybe something he could sell his dad on. "Look dad, it has wood, must be safer than evil black guns".

Back
Top Bottom