• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunsite Scout Rifle Vs Mini-14

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever had any bad experiences with the Mini 14 with a match grade barrel and adjustable trigger? Looking into making that purchase soon. Just wanted to see how everyone felt about that. I would mount quality optics and it would be used primarily for deer and yote as well as target.

Please, oh please dont buy either a Mini 14 or a Ruger "scout" rifle! Please take Blitz up on his offer and go to a NES shoot and you and your dad can get a better idea. You may also learn how to shoot the hell out of dirt while your there! [wink]

.308 for pest control is a little excessive, unless your pest is a person at 200+ yards. I agree with others that recommend checking out an AR - that would be much more well-rounded for what you'd like to use it for.

.308 is a good coyote round and doubles well for deer if you have the inclination to go out hunting. Plus if you hit the squirrel or ground hog with it there isn't much to clean up.

Please, oh please dont buy either a Mini 14 or a Ruger "scout" rifle! Please take Blitz up on his offer and go to a NES shoot and you and your dad can get a better idea. You may also learn how to shoot the hell out of dirt while your there! [wink]

Whats wrong with the gunsite scout I have one and love it. It is reliably accurate and for what it is, a pretty solid rifle all around.

+ broken English

+ trying to avoid something evil and assaulty looking that might bring undue scrutiny.

Sorry, Mohammed. You've just been profiled.

Dammit!! The one person here I try to be nice to turns out to be on a list. [angry2]

That's it, no more Mr. Nice Guy for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both rifles. I just purchased the Scout rifle. Its a great rifle for what it was meant for. A short bolt action rifle that can be used in brush country or as a truck rifle. I mounted a LER Leupold pistol scope on mine and it is a pleasure to shoot.

As far a home defense it may be a bit to large of a caliber rifle for that purpose. I also have a Mini 14. Its shoots just fine, its not a target rifle but it's ok for coyote.

If you want a firearm for home defense buy a 18 and a half inch barrel pump action 12 gauge . You can pick one up for about 200 bucks or a used one for less.

Then buy the Ruger Scout for longer distance shooting, hunting etc. If you shoot a 308 in the house it will most likely go in one side of the intruder out the other and thru the walls. Not a good thing. The walls that is.

I hope this helps and don't mind all the ribbing from folks. Also check out the U Tube videos of Hickok 45. He shoots the Scout out to 200 yards with iron sights and hits the steel every time. One thing it isn't however, is a home defense rifle.

Oh one more thing, buy a Mosin Nagant for 90 bucks problem solved.

UPDATE, I was corrected , the shotgun needs to have a 18 and a half inch barrel. I guess I was remiss in reviewing my post, but no worries, there are folks out there that will catch every mistake we make.

Last edited:
I own a Mini 14 stainless from 1982 and haven't had bad accuracy. The pencil barrel would give to stringing as it heated up. Remsport chopped the barrel to 16" and threaded it. I put a brake on it and accuracy has improved; no more stringing. It is very well suited for a red dot and skeet targets at 100-150yds are easy prey. I have shot the scout rifle a number of times and it is a good shooter. I like the design and feel of it but could never find myself with a scout style scope on a rifle. The receiver is milled for traditional rings. Now that there are polymer mags available you aren't stuck spending $70 on a metal one.

I own a Mini 14 stainless from 1982 and haven't had bad accuracy. The pencil barrel would give to stringing as it heated up. Remsport chopped the barrel to 16" and threaded it. I put a brake on it and accuracy has improved; no more stringing. It is very well suited for a red dot and skeet targets at 100-150yds are easy prey. I have shot the scout rifle a number of times and it is a good shooter. I like the design and feel of it but could never find myself with a scout style scope on a rifle. The receiver is milled for traditional rings. Now that there are polymer mags available you aren't stuck spending $70 on a metal one.

The Ruger was designed as a scout rifle which uses a LER scope. I know some folks feel they cant get used to them however if you ever have shot a handgun used for hunting with a LER scope you get used to it quickly. M. Cooper always wanted a rifle in this configuration. As to mounting a scope with the rings take it from someone who owns the rifle. The rings are so low you are VERY limited to the size of scope. a 20 mm wont even clear the receiver. Ruger does make a set of rings that a bit higher but they are about 85 bucks and even then you wont be using your typical 40mm scope. As to the rifles accuracy, its great even with the iron sights.

Mini 14 looks cool.

American-RugerMini14-1.jpg

600px-ATeamMini14.jpg

Its a gimmick or a toy, plain and simple. If you were going to have 1 gun, would that be it?

It is not really an only rifle but it's not like it is a piece of garbage and between the mini-14 and the gunsite that would be the quickest decision of my life. And I wouldn't say it is really a gimmick or a toy it is a solid bolt gun for medium range shooting and the .308 is a good round to match the gun. It is really more the preference of the shooter too. I would agree that if you are going to have one gun for multiple uses it certainly isn't the swiss army knife of the gun world but those where the two options given.

The answer to all your problems is an AK47. The reason is because an AK47 is the answer to more or less every problem humans have encountered since the dawn of man.

Sure it looks even more evil than an AR, is the weapon all the bad guys in the movies use, and isn't burdened with excessive accuracy...but it's the best thing since sliced хлеб.

You can shoot the cheapest, shittiest ammo you can find! You can enjoy the scintillating aroma of your hand grips burning off after a few mag dumps! You can lubricate it with mud and clean it with pee! And...it mows your lawn, it picks up the kids from school, it gets rid of unwanted facial hair, it gets rid of embarrassing age spots, it delivers a pizza, and it lengthens, and it strengthens, and it finds that slipper that's been at large under the chaise lounge for several weeks!

You can't lose!

Look at these happy comrades!

PA230147.jpg

+ broken English

+ trying to avoid something evil and assaulty looking that might bring undue scrutiny.

Sorry, Mohammed. You've just been profiled.
Do I need to post a picture or something plus that was sent from my phone sir[angry]. AND FOR THE LAST TIME ITS NOT ME ITS MY DAD WHO DOESN'T WANT A AR LOOKING GUN[banghead].
LOL I'm just being the newb here taking everything seriously.

The answer to all your problems is an AK47. The reason is because an AK47 is the answer to more or less every problem humans have encountered since the dawn of man.

Sure it looks even more evil than an AR, is the weapon all the bad guys in the movies use, and isn't burdened with excessive accuracy...but it's the best thing since sliced хлеб.

You can shoot the cheapest, shittiest ammo you can find! You can enjoy the scintillating aroma of your hand grips burning off after a few mag dumps! You can lubricate it with mud and clean it with pee! And...it mows your lawn, it picks up the kids from school, it gets rid of unwanted facial hair, it gets rid of embarrassing age spots, it delivers a pizza, and it lengthens, and it strengthens, and it finds that slipper that's been at large under the chaise lounge for several weeks!

You can't lose!

PA230147.jpg
YES INDEED!

You can't lose!

PA230147.jpg
Are these NES guys?

Last edited:
Are these NES guys?

Yep. Talk your Dad into letting you go green (paid member - your name will show up as green). Best $21 you'll spend on the internets - the opportunities it gives you access to are phenomenal. The green members organize several shoots each year - the firepower at those events is really rather impressive. We made the international news last year when we shot up a Porsche.

The pictures of the guys with the AKs are from a green member build party - they all just finished building those AKs from parts kits. That press isn't in the foreground for show!

I have both rifles. I just purchased the Scout rifle. Its a great rifle for what it was meant for. A short bolt action rifle that can be used in brush country or as a truck rifle. I mounted a LER Leupold pistol scope on mine and it is a pleasure to shoot.

As far a home defense it may be a bit to large of a caliber rifle for that purpose. I also have a Mini 14. Its shoots just fine, its not a target rifle but it's ok for coyote.

If you want a firearm for home defense buy a 16 inch barrel pump action 12 gauge . You can pick one up for about 200 bucks or a used one for less.

Then buy the Ruger Scout for longer distance shooting, hunting etc. If you shoot a 308 in the house it will most likely go in one side of the intruder out the other and thru the walls. Not a good thing. The walls that is.

I hope this helps and don't mind all the ribbing from folks. Also check out the U Tube videos of Hickok 45. He shoots the Scout out to 200 yards with iron sights and hits the steel every time. One thing it isn't however, is a home defense rifle.

Oh one more thing, buy a Mosin Nagant for 90 bucks problem solved.

Might want to try that again. 16" makes it an SBS.

Yep. Talk your Dad into letting you go green (paid member - your name will show up as green). Best $21 you'll spend on the internets - the opportunities it gives you access to are phenomenal. The green members organize several shoots each year - the firepower at those events is really rather impressive. We made the international news last year when we shot up a Porsche.

The pictures of the guys with the AKs are from a green member build party - they all just finished building those AKs from parts kits. That press isn't in the foreground for show!

That was such an awesome day. That rifle is one of my favorite it shoot, unless I am broke then it IS my favorite to shoot.

Do I need to post a picture or something plus that was sent from my phone sir[angry]. AND FOR THE LAST TIME ITS NOT ME ITS MY DAD WHO DOESN'T WANT A AR LOOKING GUN[banghead].
LOL I'm just being the newb here taking everything seriously.

What give away is
1. Your flight training
2. More broken english (worst than me as I'm a Chinese)

A pic might clear our over-sensitive sixth sense. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom