Gunsite Scout Rifle Vs Mini-14

Acme,

Yup, minimum barrel lengths are 16" for rifles, 18" for shotguns.

Most manufacturers add a 1/2" to make sure normal manufacturing variations don't produce a violation and so that users don't get into micrometer arguments with the BATF&E. I've seen a couple of custom build sights who will machine a barrel to 16.1" for a rifle and 18.1" for a shotgun, the problem is if you use the "standard" test of dropping a go/no go stick down the barrel against the breech, you can see the no-go line if the stick is not sitting perfectly flush against the breech or your eye is not perfectly level with the muzzle.

This is why I don't use a go/no go stick. We measure from the face of the closed bolt to the end of the barrel for the length.

I am so sorry every one for being a complete newbie here.
I haven't even read through the other 24 pages of this thread, but you shouldn't have to apologize for the asthetic preferences your father has regarding firearms. People should respect that, back off pushing the AR platform, and offer some more constructive guidance. Sorry you're getting a bit reamed by some folks about this and hope you can get some positive guidance.

My thought is that a mini-30 is a good way to go.

I haven't even read through the other 24 pages of this thread, but you shouldn't have to apologize for the asthetic preferences your father has regarding firearms. People should respect that, back off pushing the AR platform, and offer some more constructive guidance. Sorry you're getting a bit reamed by some folks about this and hope you can get some positive guidance.

My thought is that a mini-30 is a good way to go.

He's getting push-back because his father's aesthetic preferences come straight out of the gun banners talking points. If he said his father didn't like ARs because he thinks plastic guns have no soul, people would probably argue a bit over differing aesthetic preferences. However, he doesn't like them because they look like assault rifles or something a 'gunman' would use. This sounds just like what the people who want to take our ARs away say. That's why the opposition has been so vehement.

He's getting push-back because his father's aesthetic preferences come straight out of the gun banners talking points. If he said his father didn't like ARs because he thinks plastic guns have no soul, people would probably argue a bit over differing aesthetic preferences. However, he doesn't like them because they look like assault rifles or something a 'gunman' would use. This sounds just like what the people who want to take our ARs away say. That's why the opposition has been so vehement.
I picked that up, too, but sometimes it takes baby steps to pull people around, and it certainly doesn't warrant, IMO, berating a father to his son. I'm happy to hear that the father wants to join the son in this endeavor, against an apparently gun-negative environment! Kudos to them both for that.

Seems easy enough to me to say "hopefully you and your father will have opportunity to reconsider those arbitrary constraints imposed by others' judgment of how the firearm looks, but in the meantime here are some good options that would suit the parameters you mention..."

I just hate seeing an obviously nice, polite young man being put in the position of defending his father to a bunch of strangers, even if they really are well-intentioned.

That said, I've never fired the Ruger Mini-14, either 5.56 or Mini Thirty... Is the accuracy really that bad??

Id suggest instead, and I know some will disagree, the KelTec Su16 rifle. Fires the 5.56, its light, its modular, so you can add the tacti-tard crap if you want...but its also more accurate than the Ruger. Its a black rifle, but IMO, doesnt look any more sinister in its stock configuration than your average weapon.

Oh and at 500 new, its a very inexpensive rifle for what you get.

While all of this is probably true, he is interested in buying a rifle and even wants it for home defense. He's on the edge of sanity and if luring him inside with a beer so we can get him into the 30 year old bourbon is what does the trick, we should be more than joyous to pass him that beer.

Originally Posted by jar

Remington 700 is everything a man needs in a bolt action rifle

Any caliber
Any level of quality (low - high)
Any accessory (mags, chassis, stocks)

Buy a 700 and then review the millions of upgrades from barrels, triggers, stocks, mags, bolts and more.

If you want a nice "scout" type rifle - get one of these:
(and put a picattiny forearm on it)

DSC01687-small.jpg

I just hate seeing an obviously nice, polite young man being put in the position of defending his father to a bunch of strangers, even if they really are well-intentioned.

That said, I've never fired the Ruger Mini-14, either 5.56 or Mini Thirty... Is the accuracy really that bad??

I agree, and the newer, redeisgned ones, are much better than they had been.

Older mini-14s have light barrels that group 2-3 inches at 100 yds but 4-5 inches when the barrel heats up. Mini-14s are still very popular rifles because of the rugged Garand-type action, "retro" military look with wooden stocks, and relatively low price. As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, there is a large aftermarket for accuracy-improving devices and techniques.

The "legendary" inaccuracy of the mini-14 does not apply to the newer models - Ruger retooled their production process some time ago and mini-14s now have heavier, tapered barrels.

I have one newer mini-14 and I glass-bedded the action (because I like working with wood). I have no problem hitting clay pigeons at 100 yards.

I also own several ARs.....

I enjoy both apples and oranges.

I picked that up, too, but sometimes it takes baby steps to pull people around, and it certainly doesn't warrant, IMO, berating a father to his son. I'm happy to hear that the father wants to join the son in this endeavor, against an apparently gun-negative environment! Kudos to them both for that.

Seems easy enough to me to say "hopefully you and your father will have opportunity to reconsider those arbitrary constraints imposed by others' judgment of how the firearm looks, but in the meantime here are some good options that would suit the parameters you mention..."

Older mini-14s have light barrels that group 2-3 inches at 100 yds but 4-5 inches when the barrel heats up. Mini-14s are still very popular rifles because of the rugged Garand-type action, "retro" military look with wooden stocks, and relatively low price. As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, there is a large aftermarket for accuracy-improving devices and techniques.

The "legendary" inaccuracy of the mini-14 does not apply to the newer models - Ruger retooled their production process some time ago and mini-14s now have heavier, tapered barrels.

I have one newer mini-14 and I glass-bedded the action (because I like working with wood). I have no problem hitting clay pigeons at 100 yards.

I also own several ARs.....

I enjoy both apples and oranges.

Very true. The newer minis (taper barrel) out of the box are very acceptable in regards to accuracy. I also am very pleased with mods done to my pencil barrel to make it shoot tighter.

"Tanker" Garand.

I'd get a shorty M1A before one of those, but if I only had an FID, I'd think about it.

I only got an FID here in the beautiful Peoples Republic of Massachusetts

(outing my ignorance) ... what is it?

A mini G Garand a smaller M1 Garand that also comes in .308 and it is mag fed. Like I already mentioned I only have an FID and seeing as I am 16 I don't have $ 2,350 laying around my room. There for I am unable to afford the firearm. [sad2]

Donations greatly appreciated [rofl]

A mini G Garand a smaller M1 Garand that also comes in .308 and it is mag fed. Like I already mentioned I only have an FID and seeing as I am 16 I don't have $ 2,350 laying around my room. There for I am unable to afford the firearm. [sad2]

Get a 10/22 dude.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022/index.html

(outing my ignorance) ... what is it?

"Mini-G" Garand - made by Shuff's Parkerizing. It's actually shorter (16.5" barrel) - than the typical "Tanker" Garand. Go find a pic of a tanker - you'll see a small piece left of the front forearm wood. Shuffs eliminates that.

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/services/the-mini-g/

I got the thing a while back - and I have to admit I haven't had the time to shoot it yet. The reason why I got it - was that I've heard nothing but goodness about them. Shuffs actually has made them work and work well from what I know.

Guy in this thread comments that his has worked great:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171368

Another thread where an owner pipes in and testifies that his rifle has been great:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1831286

If it weighs too much to be considered a "scout rifle" - put it in a composite stock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852114/ram-line-syntech-rifle-stock-m1-garand-synthetic-black (I don't really like the pistol grip on this one - more of hunting rifle grip than the standard Garand grip - but at least it's an option)

The mag fed version is something I don't believe you'll be getting with an FID. The en-bloc version might be FID compliant - I honestly don't recall what you can/can't own with an FID.

Blitz1 is right - if you're cash poor and looking for a good rifle get a 10/22 . It's something you will never get rid of - even if you get a Garand later.

Yeah, I get being broke and 16, but you would be the baddest assed broke 16 yo I know of. [thumbsup][laugh]

Like these guys said, 10/22 is a great place to start, I have 3 of them in my safe. Sitting at the range with a few hundred rounds for 15 bucks and making soda cans dance all over the berm after work is a great way to spend an afternoon.

Given the cost of ammo, skip a .308 and get a 10/22 - about $250/500 rounds versus $20/500 rounds. If you have limited funds, get a .22lr.

Yeah, I get being broke and 16, but you would be the baddest assed broke 16 yo I know of. [thumbsup][laugh]

Like these guys said, 10/22 is a great place to start, I have 3 of them in my safe. Sitting at the range with a few hundred rounds for 15 bucks and making soda cans dance all over the berm after work is a great way to spend an afternoon.

Or - you can have the best of both worlds. A Garand - that shoots .22LR.

I saw this on another thread here on NES - A rimfire Garand:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/06/09/22-rimfire-garand-parts-list/

A perfect project for a 16 year old to learn about guns and being "handy". Look on the CMP forum classifieds for Garand receiver pieces for the heel part of the receiver. I've seen them on there before.

A 10/22 is an awesome idea.. better still get a good condition second-hand 10/22.. use it to build a liberty training rifle..

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35390-The-Liberty-Training-Rifle

Then, take all that $$ you have left over and buy 1500 rounds of .22 ammo, the kind that YOUR 10/22 likes and attend an Appleseed.. and learn to shoot YOUR rifle real well.. then see what you want to move on to as a center-fire rifle. Then you will net a HUGE savings in wasted ammunition.

FWIW-- I fondled a Ruger Gunsite at FS on Friday night.. lucky for me, I got there just at closing..otherwise it would have been a darn near impossible fight to keep the credit card in my wallet..I can tell it really wanted to come home with me.. Sweeeet rifle!.. handled well.. light..smooth..crisp trigger pull..sights were exactly the same configuration as my Liberty Training Rifle..action was glass-smooth..and closed like a bank vault..like a little Mauser..it came up to the shoulder very easily and pointed very well.. balanced at the magazine.. Now some folks gotta have their semis and that's fine..the bolt-gun has its own set of advantages..The Gunsite sure seems to be a handy little utility rifle..IMHO Col. Cooper had the right idea..and yup.. I intend to get one..

Back
Top Bottom