• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safes

Why would you do the entire sequence when opening it every time? That is insane.

When I close my safe, I go through the first half of that sequence. That means my safe is open in 5 to 10 seconds, tops.

However, that doesn't do you any good unless you happen to know my combo (or are an insane safe cracker).

I guess your wife doesn't use the safe then. If you are the only one who uses it, that may work.

But the chances of screwing that up are much greater than the chance a lock will fail, right when you need it most.
Its an interesting work around.

I call bull5h1t. Post a youtube video or it didn't happen. Seriously. That's insane.

Unless its such a crappy lock that you only have 2 numbers.

The process to open my fairly high security lock on my TL rated safe is.

Spin the dial to the right 3 or 4 turns.
Turn left 3 turns and stop at first digit.
Turn right 2 turns and stop at second digit
Turn left to the 3rd digit
turn right until the lock disengages.

All that in 15 seconds? Lets see it.

Again, my point is not that one is better than the other. But that each has its place.

- - - Updated - - -

I just did it in 10.82 seconds with one hand holding my iphone. I'll IM you a link to a video later today when I'll have someone to hold the camera.
My procedure is at least 3 turns to the left, land on first number
Right past the 2nd number twice then stop on it.
Left past the third number once then land on it.
open door.

I agree with your point. My quick access "safes" are not to prevent theft but to satisfy the law and prevent access by kids--although that is less important now that my kids are older.

I guess your wife doesn't use the safe then. If you are the only one who uses it, that may work.

But the chances of screwing that up are much greater than the chance a lock will fail, right when you need it most.
Its an interesting work around.

Not really a risk: If you do it the same way every time then it is the same situation as having to reset the tumblers. Besides, why wouldn't you at least reset the tumblers after locking it?

My procedure is at least 3 turns to the left, land on first number
If you get in the habit of scrambling the lock by spinning to the left a few turns, you will not have to start with 3 turns to unlock unless someone has been dicking with your lock.

Flipping through this thread, it's interesting. I am in the same boat, looking for a safe. JayCaliber, do you own a place or are you renting?
The reason I ask, is I wondered if you could install an alarm with central monitoring? Where my thinking currently is, if 1 has a good alarm with monitoring, and it works and the cops show up reliably, then 1 could easily get by with a lesser safe. There's no way they're getting into even $400 worth of steel before getting nabbed. I had been going back and forth on used commercial UL-listed TL30x6 jeweler's safes, and I was waiting for 1 large enough (interior height wise) to come along at a good deal. But this my current mode, and I think it makes sense. If you have the alarm, and it works. (Assuming you want the cops to show up [smile])

Easy.... after you get used to dialing the same combination a few hundred times. I'd lay a C note I could do it in under 10 seconds.

When I go through the above on my safe, I don't count rotations - I just spin right and left and have the "feel" for the number of rotations without counting.

The real danger is the fine motor skills, and the ability to use this "instinctive feel" can degrade quickly if the background noise is door kicking and hearing the words "kill you mofo" coming from the other side of the door.

Easy.... after you get used to dialing the same combination a few hundred times. I'd lay a C note I could do it in under 10 seconds.

When I go through the above on my safe, I don't count rotations - I just spin right and left and have the "feel" for the number of rotations without counting.

The real danger is the fine motor skills, and the ability to use this "instinctive feel" can degrade quickly if the background noise is door kicking and hearing the words "kill you mofo" coming from the other side of the door.

This is so funny i dial my way into alot of things often for along time.the last few months ive been so distracted/stress pretty much anything causes me to have to dial a second time.It more sloppyness i bet, just trying to do it too quick and passing the number i wanted..being in a rush for no reason

Last edited:
Flipping through this thread, it's interesting. I am in the same boat, looking for a safe. JayCaliber, do you own a place or are you renting?
The reason I ask, is I wondered if you could install an alarm with central monitoring? Where my thinking currently is, if 1 has a good alarm with monitoring, and it works and the cops show up reliably, then 1 could easily get by with a lesser safe. There's no way they're getting into even $400 worth of steel before getting nabbed. I had been going back and forth on used commercial UL-listed TL30x6 jeweler's safes, and I was waiting for 1 large enough (interior height wise) to come along at a good deal. But this my current mode, and I think it makes sense. If you have the alarm, and it works. (Assuming you want the cops to show up [smile])

Good question. I own. It's a small condo. I am interested in installing an alarm system, you just reminded me. That's another thing I need to look into.

I call bull5h1t. Post a youtube video or it didn't happen. Seriously. That's insane.

Unless its such a crappy lock that you only have 2 numbers.

The process to open my fairly high security lock on my TL rated safe is.

Again, my point is not that one is better than the other. But that each has its place.

- - - Updated - - -

Or a real safe close to your bed with an electronic lock.

- - - Updated - - -

Except that all a lockbox does is ensure your gun isn't used against you. It doesn't prevent its theft.

Again, putting a gun in a small 600 lb $350 used commercial safe made out of 1/4 in plate, with an electronic lock is a better solution for anyone who has the room. (p.s. with the door off, this hypothetical small safe will weigh about 400 lbs. No real safes have internal hinges fyi)
My LaGuard works the same way. 8-9 seconds to open it

That can be a feature - wives are less likely to ask for a shelf in a gun safe with a dial lock than digital.

My solution was a second safe w/digital lock for my wife's stuff. She knows the gun safe combo, but has not asked for any space in it.

If it needs to fit in a closet, your cheapest bet is one of the small Winchester models from Tractor Supply or similar ones from Lowe's, Costco, etc. I was in TS this weekend and the $699 Winchester was marked down to $649. There are larger ones for less than a grand. The weight is in hundreds of pounds, not thousands, and a couple of strong guys, a pickup truck and a rented appliance dolly will save you a big delivery charge. Then you can start planning for the next one after your collection grows. [grin]
I second the advice for a small lockbox of some kind with an electronic combination for your everyday carry and nightstand gun. A factor no one has mentioned is spinning a dial to the exact numbers in the dark under stress. When the bad guys are kicking in the door is no time to be turning on the lights to read the tiny numbers. Pushing buttons by the Braille method in the dark is easier and faster, especially with practice.

Last edited:
If it needs to fit in a closet, your cheapest bet is one of the small Winchester models from Tractor Supply or similar ones from Lowe's, Costco, etc. I was in TS this weekend and the $699 Winchester was marked down to $649. There are larger ones for less than a grand. The weight is in hundreds of pounds, not thousands, and a couple of strong guys, a pickup truck and a rented appliance dolly will save you a big delivery charge. Then you can start planning for the next one after your collection grows. [grin]
I second the advice for a small lockbox of some kind with an electronic combination for your everyday carry and nightstand gun. A factor no one has mentioned is spinning a dial to the exact numbers in the dark under stress. When the bad guys are kicking in the door is no time to be turning on the lights to read the tiny numbers. Pushing buttons by the Braille method in the dark is easier and faster, especially with practice.

Wow you're spot on. I was just telling someone on here yesterday that I was leaning towards Winchester safes, Bandit 9 or 10 with a combination luck. Then after reading all the posts about electronic safes and their convenience and quick access I was thinking a small lock box with an electronic code to put somewhere. Currently, I have Glock 21 with a couple 13rd prebans so that should be plenty of firepower for a home defense situation without having to go into the a big safe for something else.

Or your wife went in to get her good watch and pearls for a business meeting (Or her G34 and 10/22 for a trip to the range) and didn't spin the dial to the left after she closed the safe.

Oh yeah. One other thing. My wife has once forgotten to spin the dial after closing the safe with the mechanical lock, when she went in to get a gun. She closed the door, turned the bolts closed and left. She never spun the dial. I thought she might make this mistake so checked the safe by turning the bolt handle and it opened right up.

My upstairs safe has a bolt trip when the door closes and an electronic lock. So all I have to do is slam the door and its locked.

If I really want to get crazy I can lock the "day lock" on the door also.

Don

I live in a condo and can't have a regular safe so I'm thinking a lockable steel cabinet....

Why can't you have a regular safe? I had a TL-15 rated safe when I rented a condo years ago. But then again, I had a ground level sliding glass door.

Is it that you don't want to put in the time and money to move it in and you may then move away soon?

if that's the case, check out snap safe or zannotti. (sp). Or consider multiple used commercial safes rather than a single large one.

Or your wife went in to get her good watch and pearls for a business meeting (Or her G34 and 10/22 for a trip to the range) and didn't spin the dial to the left after she closed the safe.

Oh yeah. One other thing. My wife has once forgotten to spin the dial after closing the safe with the mechanical lock, when she went in to get a gun. She closed the door, turned the bolts closed and left. She never spun the dial. I thought she might make this mistake so checked the safe by turning the bolt handle and it opened right up.

My upstairs safe has a bolt trip when the door closes and an electronic lock. So all I have to do is slam the door and its locked.

If I really want to get crazy I can lock the "day lock" on the door also.

Don

This is solved by not giving the wife access to the safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I really want to get crazy I can lock the "day lock" on the door also. Don

"Day locks" are nice.

I just spoke with someone that works at Tractor Supply in Pelham NH who just purchased the Winchester and he likes it alot.

I just went through the whole gun safe / RSC purchase....and believe you me I am glad that it is over so I can obsess about something else for a change.

Initially I very strongly considered purchasing a job site tool box which you can get from Craigslist pretty cheap. Even the four foot Rigid from home depot was only about $300 new - not too bad of an option for the money.

I don't think you can get hurt with the winchester from TSC - alot of people seem to like it

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/for/6052644751.html

Boom.

01717_6AeM9YrxlkA_600x450.jpg

I live in a condo and can't have a regular safe so I'm thinking a lockable steel cabinet....

is there a reason that you can't?...everyone here has already said it all and know much more than i do...but this is how i broke it down for myself when i was shopping...the biggest thing is do you want it just for storage or mainly for quick access or both?

worried about:
#1 grab and go theft + thief has time to work on it + storage laws + kids + fire protection + no need for quick access = safe with dial or simplex type lock or dual locks
#2 grab and go theft + thief has time to work on it + storage laws + kids+ fire protection + quicker access = safe with electronic lock or dual locks
#3 storage laws + kids + quicker access = cabinet with no dial (electronic/key/simplex type) or electronic pistol box or the option in #2 will cover you

all of these can be supplemented with layers of security...cameras, monitored alarm system, dogs, etc...the more the better

as everyone here has said there are different levels of safes also...you get what you pay for...you also have to account for the location of the storage method...moisture/humidity, visibility, construction/floor load capacity, anchoring, layout, accessibility, cost, maybe power, etc. all factors should be included in the choice...

imo all electronic options should have a mechanical entry backup option (simplex/key/dial) with AC power and a battery backup (for loss of power situations) with some type of warning when the battery needs replacement...basically your home defense choice should be in something fast to get into...if that's a pistol it should be a simplex type or electronic pistol box, cabinet or electronic/ simplex safe...if its a rifle obviously just the last 2 options...if it's not a go to for home defense then it should be in something else depending on the level of security you feel you need...ideally you would have 1 of each if you have more than 1 firearm and the rest are not for home defense...1 fast entry and 1 your choice

myself i went with #3...a keyed cabinet and a couple electronic pistol boxes for quick access...+ a security system + dogs...and i would be more worried about something happening to my dogs than a thief stealing my firearms...insurance can cover firearms, but not my dogs

^^^imo this seems like the most feasible and cost effective way to go...those file cabinets are a nice idea as well

Last edited:
Currently have a Liberty Lincoln. Was thinking about replacing it with a larger safe but after reading this thread I've decided to buy a second safe. Looking at the Liberty Presidential and the National Magnum, any recommendations on one over the other?

CoastieRon,

Nobody listens. Those file cabinets are a brilliant solution to handgun storage. All of my safes, with the exception of a Sturdy I had made in a custom size so that it could be hidden in my previous home, came from craigslist. Pennies on the dollar my friend. You can get a $15,000 TRTL-30 safe for $3000. Or a TL-15 for $600.

Don

Back
Top Bottom