Gun Safes

Interesting turn of conversation. I just bought a S&G D class lock to replace my mechanical for ease of CHANGING the combination. Takes me too long to change then mechanical lock combo, and I change it every 2 months.....
Why would you change the combo of your own safe every two months?

All positions stated in this thread have merit.

Buy a real safe with a quality mechanical lock if you want true peace of mind. Eastern security for new or Craigslist for great deals. You could order online too Actually for 2k you could get a steelwater 9 Gauge, LaGuard mechanical lock, 2 hour fire rated, 18 door bolts delivered inside your garage.

You also need a quick access electronic option for home defense. You could spend a few hundred bucks at BJs or a few hundred at tractor supply to address that need. Neither are "safes" and are easily compromised by a thief but will keep kids out

Why would you change the combo of your own safe every two months?

All positions stated in this thread have merit.

Buy a real safe with a quality mechanical lock if you want true peace of mind. Eastern security for new or Craigslist for great deals. You could order online too Actually for 2k you could get a steelwater 9 Gauge, LaGuard mechanical lock, 2 hour fire rated, 18 door bolts delivered inside your garage.

You also need a quick access electronic option for home defense. You could spend a few hundred bucks at BJs or a few hundred at tractor supply to address that need. Neither are "safes" and are easily compromised by a thief but will keep kids out

See above

Interesting turn of conversation. I just bought a S&G D class lock to replace my mechanical for ease of CHANGING the combination. Takes me too long to change then mechanical lock combo, and I change it every 2 months.....

Yes...Interesting turn of conversation.

I'm back to a Job Box with the recessed padlocks and a can of OC inside or on the door. I have S&G's on the class 6 cabinets.

The WiFi enabled electro/mechanical lock would give me nightmares. Certifications (Chinese?) on that one?

Yes...Interesting turn of conversation.

I'm back to a Job Box with the recessed padlocks and a can of OC inside or on the door. I have S&G's on the class 6 cabinets.

The WiFi enabled electro/mechanical lock would give me nightmares. Certifications (Chinese?) on that one?

[h=1]Sargent & Greenleaf 2007-102 D-Drive Electronic Safe Lock[/h]
Going to install it this weekend.

I mean... I do see the advantage of electronic safes for speedy access, but on the flip side... Whether sooner or later if that thing fails to open just ONE time it wasn't worth it. God forbid SHTF, you're in serious trouble. Just my opinion.

Except it will take you 60 seconds to get into the mechanical lock. And that is a sure thing. Vs a 1 in 10,000 chance the lock will fail when the shtf.

100% chance of 60 seconds for entry vs 99.9999 chance of 5 seconds and a .0001 chance of no entry.

Except it will take you 60 seconds to get into the mechanical lock. And that is a sure thing. Vs a 1 in 10,000 chance the lock will fail when the shtf.

100% chance of 60 seconds for entry vs 99.9999 chance of 5 seconds and a .0001 chance of no entry.
60 seconds?

Are you referring to a multi number dial combo then yes, but there are many mechanical locks like the Simplex locks that are found on many safes, including my choice of safe, Fort Knox.

I see your point. Maybe I'm thinking too far, but I'd hope it would take less than 60 second to get into a mechanical lock....

Last edited:
60 seconds?

Are you referring to a multi number dial combo then yes, but there are many mechanical locks like the Simplex locks that are found on many safes, including my choice of safe, Fort Knox.

Yes, I'm referring to a dial lock.

The fort knox item you are referring to is not a safe. Its a lock box. Its, probably the best lock box made. But that's not what we are talking about. We're talking about safes.

- - - Updated - - -

I see your point. Maybe I'm thinking too far, but I'd hope it would take less than 60 second to get into a mechanical lock....

Have you ever dialed one? Seriously.

The X-09 listed on the 5 drawer class 6 most likely has buyer restrictions.
www.taylorsecurity.com (great supplier, I use them when I don't feel like paying lock shop prices for locks and electronic strikes) sells the X-10, (oops, missed the restricted part when originally posting), for $1124.

Last edited:
www.taylorsecurity.com (great supplier, I use them when I don't feel like paying lock shop prices for locks and electronic strikes) sells the X-10, unrestricted, for $1124.

Really ??? From the taylorsecurity website page....

Kaba Mas Limited Use Clause for X-10 Series: Section 1.1.1 Limited Use. "Locks tested and qualified under this specification are to be sold only to the Federal Government, Government contractors specifically authorized to purchase these locks, or other organizations specifally authorized or required by the Government to use these locks." See Full Limited Use Clause below.

The fort knox item you are referring to is not a safe. Its a lock box. Its, probably the best lock box made. But that's not what we are talking about. We're talking about safes.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. I don't think I have.

Really ??? From the taylorsecurity website page....

Kaba Mas Limited Use Clause for X-10 Series: Section 1.1.1 Limited Use. "Locks tested and qualified under this specification are to be sold only to the Federal Government, Government contractors specifically authorized to purchase these locks, or other organizations specifally authorized or required by the Government to use these locks." See Full Limited Use Clause below.
Thanks for the correction - I missed that bit.

What's up guys? So I know you guys have an arsenal and I know you have good storage for it. I'm looking for a good safe without breaking the bank, let's say under $1k. The safe will be going in a closet so space isn't generous. I have 3 rifles that need to fit and extra storage for mags and ammo would be nice. If a few handguns can fit too that's a plus, but won't get my hopes up. What's your recommendations and experience? Let's go, school me...

*sits down with pen and paper*

Three rifles and a few hundguns do not require that much space. Are you looking for storage and/or quick access. Depending on the layout of the closet, the under the bed "safes" with the upright kit placed to the side of the door would take very little space and open into the doorway giving quick access to everything in it.

Like this,
https://www.slideoutshelvesllc.com/pantry-pull-out-units
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mad/6026046564.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/402079_Pull_out_drawer___racks_for_long_guns_in_safe.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59yJcMbHtk

http://www.gunsafes.com/store/Search.aspx?submit=true&type=AND&SearchTerms=under bed safe
http://www.gunsafes.com/Stack-On-12-Gun-Pull-Out-Steel-Security-Cabinet-GCPO-12-DS.html

Last edited:
You aren't really much of a student of human nature.

Its not a conscious decision. Its a matter of convenience. Oh. I'm just running out for a minute. Let me grab my pocket gun. Nah. I'll just put my big gun in the closet it will only be a minute.

vs

beep beep beep beep beep. Put in big gun. Grab pocket gun. close door.

It makes a difference.

Do you have children? Are you a busy person?

For me its 2 to 3 times a day. At a bare minimum its Get up. open safe get gun. Go to bed , get gun.

Probably 50% of the time there is an exchange at some point in the day where I swap a gun for a larger or smaller one.
Then there are the times my wife goes in to grab a piece of jewelry.

Which by the way she said she would never keep jewelry in the safe if she had to spin a dial every time. So with an electronic lock the ewelry lives in the safe. If it was mechanical, it would live in her dresser.

So no. its not a matter of "what do a couple of extra minutes per day really mean". its really about human nature and when those extra couple of minutes occur. (when you are getting up or going to bed or leavin the house).

And again. In 5 years, you save 60 hours of time with an electronic lock if you use it twice per day. That is significant.

I don't know about you, but my time is worth more than $5 per hour. (If you assume the lock will fail every 5 years and cost $300 to break into the safe. )

I'm glad I read this. I was planning on replacing my current safe with a larger one. Now I'm going to just buy a second one, my current safe has a mechanical lock the new one I'll get an electronic one.
Thank you.

If it's going in a closet, you can look into modular safes. Easier to move, and can be set up even if the safe is larger than the door frame. This would also provide some extra security, between the door frame and the ability to hide the safe in the closet. I've dealt with the Dakota and the Zanotti modular safes before. Nice since you can easily install them on upper floors.

I have a large Zanotti safe I got second hand. I wanted a different shelf setup and contacted Zanotti. Told him them I bought the safe used and wanted to order 3 shelves. They made them for me and only charged for shipping. Outstanding customer service.

I have a large Zanotti safe I got second hand. I wanted a different shelf setup and contacted Zanotti. Told him them I bought the safe used and wanted to order 3 shelves. They made them for me and only charged for shipping. Outstanding customer service.

Just out of curiosity, how much do Zanotti safes range from? I went to the site, but didn't see anything on price. The ZA-1 model caught my attention, but I may need something a little smaller.

And again. In 5 years, you save 60 hours of time with an electronic lock if you use it twice per day. That is significant.

I don't know about you, but my time is worth more than $5 per hour. (If you assume the lock will fail every 5 years and cost $300 to break into the safe. )
That is assuming you can repeatedly break into the safe without any long term damage. Yes, I know about safe pins for repair, but not something you want to accumulate a collection of in your door. You also need to factor in the time taken to deal with the repair, as well as the time cost of being denied access to your ordnance. That being said, I have a LaGard swing bolt electronic lock on one of my safes that has worked flawlessly since 1996.

- - - Updated - - -

60 seconds??? I have an S&G dial on my safe which I can open in less than 15 seconds though I doubt I'll ever need to get into the safe quicker than that--for quick access home defense I use an electronic Gunvault and a V-Line with a Simplex lock.

60 seconds??? I have an S&G dial on my safe which I can open in less than 15 seconds though I doubt I'll ever need to get into the safe quicker than that--for quick access home defense I use an electronic Gunvault and a V-Line with a Simplex lock.

15 seconds with the lights on and not under pressure, Like you said electronic for quick access.

15 seconds to open the safe and then 60 seconds to decide which firearm from your beautiful arsenal to grab. Lock box is probably the way to go for home defense.

15 seconds to open the safe and then 60 seconds to decide which firearm from your beautiful arsenal to grab. Lock box is probably the way to go for home defense.

Agreed!
[rockon][thumbsup]

....Now someone find me a Kimber 1911 so I can buy a lock box for it....jk (but not really).

Last edited:
www.taylorsecurity.com (great supplier, I use them when I don't feel like paying lock shop prices for locks and electronic strikes) sells the X-10, (oops, missed the restricted part when originally posting), for $1124.

This is funny. That's more than most people are willing to spend for an entire safe.

I call bull5h1t. Post a youtube video or it didn't happen. Seriously. That's insane.

Unless its such a crappy lock that you only have 2 numbers.

The process to open my fairly high security lock on my TL rated safe is.

Spin the dial to the right 3 or 4 turns.
Turn left 3 turns and stop at first digit.
Turn right 2 turns and stop at second digit
Turn left to the 3rd digit
turn right until the lock disengages.

All that in 15 seconds? Lets see it.

Again, my point is not that one is better than the other. But that each has its place.

- - - Updated - - -

Or a real safe close to your bed with an electronic lock.

- - - Updated - - -

Except that all a lockbox does is ensure your gun isn't used against you. It doesn't prevent its theft.

Again, putting a gun in a small 600 lb $350 used commercial safe made out of 1/4 in plate, with an electronic lock is a better solution for anyone who has the room. (p.s. with the door off, this hypothetical small safe will weigh about 400 lbs. No real safes have internal hinges fyi)

Nope. I don't think I have.

Go to any locksmith or safe shop and dial one yourself, then make your own decision.

Dial locks are great for a safe you go into when you are getting ready to go to the range. It takes me 15 minutes to gather up ammo, mags (oops), guns, targets, etc. What's another minute.

But if you go in multiple times a day, in my humble opinion, its not worth it.

The S&G opening on my "safe" took more than 15 seconds for sure. 4 left 3 right 2 left, back to zero, push in, push lever, turn dial while pressing in. Way more than 15 seconds. And I screwed up frequently. LOL. I'm happy replacing it with the digital S&G, but it still doesn't take me less than 30 seconds. That's what the vault is for by my bed.

Why would you do the entire sequence when opening it every time? That is insane.

When I close my safe, I go through the first half of that sequence. That means my safe is open in 5 to 10 seconds, tops.

However, that doesn't do you any good unless you happen to know my combo (or are an insane safe cracker).

Back
Top Bottom