• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safes

also, does anyone have any experience with this little amazon safe?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGY6GPG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
91sF+pHyCSL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm just looking for something for inside my night stand that would be bolted to the front and back of it, and the nightstand bolted to the floor perhaps, unless I can weight it down enough where a skinny little crack head wouldn't even be able to lift it. This is MOSTLY to keep my sidearm secure while I'm out of the house and don't feel like bringing it down to the basement to the Cabelas long gun safe, but also to keep small amounts of cash/documents in.

Currently have a Liberty Lincoln. Was thinking about replacing it with a larger safe but after reading this thread I've decided to buy a second safe. Looking at the Liberty Presidential and the National Magnum, any recommendations on one over the other?

Are you open to other manufacturers?

also, does anyone have any experience with this little amazon safe?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGY6GPG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
View attachment 194043

I'm just looking for something for inside my night stand that would be bolted to the front and back of it, and the nightstand bolted to the floor perhaps, unless I can weight it down enough where a skinny little crack head wouldn't even be able to lift it. This is MOSTLY to keep my sidearm secure while I'm out of the house and don't feel like bringing it down to the basement to the Cabelas long gun safe, but also to keep small amounts of cash/documents in.

I just purchases one of these. I'm looking for same as you and expect this will get the job done. http://www.deansafe.com/fort-knox-personal-pistol-safe.html

I just purchases one of these. I'm looking for same as you and expect this will get the job done. http://www.deansafe.com/fort-knox-personal-pistol-safe.html

Yeah

The Fort Knox boxes are harder to break into than any of those thin metal electronic safes. I have this one (https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-X...F8&qid=1490280663&sr=8-2&keywords=sentry+safe) It was the "guys gift" 2 christmases ago from my Father In Law, apparently my brother in law was underway with the CG and was worried about someone being in the house fixing stuff with his handgun just sitting in a drawer. My FIL said "Yeah I didn't know if you had one or not but they are handy to have". I laughed and told him this would make my 3rd safe. I would count on it being secure more from how I hide it than physical strength as opposed to the fort knox.

I have this one also.

http://www.deansafe.com/ftk-pb.html...EDl-eKvKgp8mX9V6aAmYjv7IWBY62MsMUyhoCzGPw_wcB

I posted this same response in another "gun safe" discussion on this forum - not a bad safe for the $$$...

I just bought this safe today at Tractor Supply on sale until April 2nd for $650.00 - regular price is $700.00. It's great for my needs and price point as I cannot justify spending over $1,000.00 to store my firearms. The model number is Winchester TS-22-BLK and is supposed hold up to 26 long guns and 4 pistols but you can configure the shelving in a number of different ways to accommodate your requirements. It has a pretty good fire rating of 45 minutes at 1,700*F.

Overall dimensions are 59" H x 30" W x 22" D. Remember what the wise, old Chinese man said - "You can always make the big wok small, but you can never make the small wok big..." Buy a bit larger than you think you need right now because you will most likely need the space in the future!

Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...lectronic-lock

Winchester TS-22-BLK, 26 Gun Safe

The fact that the specifications on that web site list everything except the gauge of steel used speaks volumes.

Indeed. I just use them for temp storage of pelican cases loaded with whatever setups im playing with that month. Nothing expensive goes in them... is just so convenient to swing the door open and grab a few cases and be on the road...while the peIicans themself meet the storage requirement, i just want it slightly more difficult to walk off with.

The cannon safe price vs size, isnt terrible..

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the 2.5 hour fire rating that Liberty claims?

That rating is at 1200 degrees. An average house fire temp is 1100, but there are lots of variables that go into that - location of the safe, fuel supply, etc.

What I don't know, and can't seem to find in any Liberty literature, is how drastically that 2.5 hour rating shrinks if the temp is 1400 or higher. Does it drop to an hour? I felt safer with a higher temp rating for a shorter duration. In my case, 110 min at 1865 degrees. Plus, my safe isn't a showpiece in the family room, so I didn't care about glossy finishes and other exterior aesthetics. Saved some $ by opting for a textured finish.

Not trying to steer you away from Liberty...just giving some food for thought. I also looked at the AmsecBF series, but then I discovered that the walls were two thinner pieces of steel (inner and outer) that equaled 7 gauge, but wasn't a single piece. That turned me off, personally, at that price point.

Don't compare fire ratings by the manufacturer, they can say what they want.
Yup. The fire ratings are either done in house, or by a no-name lab you rarely hear of (Like Omega Point rather than Underwriters Lab or Factory Mutual). I know Champion tries to impress buyers with the fact that they use an "independently owned furnace" for testing. Wow, they rented an oven to self-certify .... impressive [crying]

Yup. The fire ratings are either done in house, or by a no-name lab you rarely hear of (Like Omega Point rather than Underwriters Lab or Factory Mutual). I know Champion tries to impress buyers with the fact that they use an "independently owned furnace" for testing. Wow, they rented an oven to self-certify .... impressive [crying]

The best test/example is an actual survivor of a real fire. Factory designed fire/burn situations won't give actual field results just provide a basis for the unknown. If you want the best protection buy the thickest steel residential security container(yes gun safe) and put a sprinker head above it.

If you want the best protection buy the thickest steel residential security container(yes gun safe) and put a sprinker head above it.
Liberty and Amsec both offer TL30 gun safes. The Liberty I saw at the 2015 Shot Show had redundant mechanical and electronic locks (real ones, S&G) and ran about $7000.

There are alot of things to consider when buying a safe

1) budget ..what you can afford for the type of security you need to protect your $$$$ investment ...in other words try not to keep $$$$$$$$$$ worth of firearms in a harbor freight safe
2) American made steel/American made - this is a factor for me
3) Fire ratings ... yes we would all like the best but affordability gets in the way .. and most ratings are pulled from the a$$
4) Thickness of steel...Thick is good ... actually think of those thin beer cans you used to rip apart with your teeth while drinking in your early twenties sure you want to keep guns in that ...disclaimer never did it myself
5) Beauty pure beauty with 7 coats of hand applied laquered paint and... yup mans vanity may get in the way keep in mind everyone here tells you to hide the thing so why do we need a work of art.. better yet why do we adore beautiful women guess men like good looking things.. yes we are shallow
6) Friends... you are going to need a few if you are getting the safe dropped at curbside and need to get it into your house
7) Bigger is better ... becuase you need room for all the firearms you haven't bought yet..not true once your wife sees it everything she owns will suddenly stert to displace your firearms ... don't ask me how I know and where the hell did she hide all that crap before [angry] Gun safes should be sized on pocketbook and shoe storage
8) Never go to gun forums and start gun safe threads ... bad idea

I've been looking into safes a lot lately. Went to eastern security... I'm not too impressed with Fort Knox. They're super expensive in comparison to other companies for equal ratings and have huge door gaps.

[video]https://youtu.be/KHCJzV8n4jU[/video]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom