• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safes

safe

I've been measuring my attic temperature and humidy levels for some time now to see if it makes sense...based on my results there is no way I am storing firearms up there. As noted by SHEMP the temperatures range wildly and the humidty levels are insane.

In terms of the GS8, I agree, a determined thief will undoubetdly get in there with the right equipment, time, or determination. My concern is primarily keep my kids out so I think something like the GS8 would work well for them - I have other precautions I plan to take as well to augment the combo lock.

C-pher said:
I can only tell you what I've got.

I bought this http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-BF-main.htm

I have the 6030 and I love it. It was easy to get into my house, well with a good appliance dolly. And I was able to pick it up at the gunshop with a buddy's pickup. Didn't have to pay shipping as it was delivered to the dealer. But it's rated pretty high for fire and break in. It's really set up to be able to configure how you like it. But then, it's a bit more than 500 bucks.

After searching around for a while this is the one I willbe ordering this weekend. Seems like a great safe! It's just gonna suck to get down the stairs to the basement with the 800lb block :? Good ol' Northeast trading will be getting it for me, I just wish they would put it in too [lol]

Safes

It's interesting how none of the consumer gun safes carry a UL fire rating - eveyone has some other lab or term. Sometines it's "Omega Point", sometimes "Mercury" but never UL. One manufacturer applies a label about the test being performed in an "independently owned oven" (as if renting the test equipment makes it more legit).

And remember, "Residential Security Container" is marketspeak for "not quite a real safe, but it may help".

Sent here from another thread.

"I just wanted to start this thread to get it out of the gun show one.

1. I am wondering what type of gun cabinet to get for a couple rifles/shotguns and several pistols.

2. Also wondering where to go. Walmart/Dick's/Spag's/Gun Shop/other?

I figure I have homeowner's insurance, so fire isn't a big worry, and therefore a heavy safe isn't necessary. Anything is better than a bunch of cable locks and a locked toolbox. This is probably to go in a closet. I would really like to put in the basement, but moisture is a concern. In the attic, heat is a concern.

3. What do other people do?

4. Another thought is to build something myself out of plywood with angle iron and hinges/hasps. One possibility is something under cellar stairs but off the floor. Another is a pulldown type of thing between floor joists in cellar ceiling. Has anyone done anything like this?

5. Also, do people store ammo with guns or not?

Thanks."

Just a warning on Homeowners...

If you have more than 2000 dollars or whatever worth of guns. Fire is an issue. Most policies only carry a small amount of firearms insurance under homeowners. Even with the ryder on mine, I only get 2500 I believe. And really, when you think about it, that's only two to four guns....maybe five...

Just something to think about.

This thread reminded me of this pic I saved of the best safe I've ever seen:
gunsafe.jpg

I'm building a house right now and I think I'm going to get a safe like the American Security. I actually thought about a vault but I can take a safe with me when I move and the vault isn't all that great when it comes to fire, not that a safe is perfect either. It looks cool though.

Simplest way.... order you build em Stack On safes from Sportsmans Guide. Yeah that company that won't even send some rifle stocks and old parts to Mass because they're deemed ilegal by the company owner, but thats another long winded rant I can put in another thread.
Anyway, they're the cheapest at around $90 with shipping for a 10 gun cabinet if you're a Buyers Club member and you can actually cram about 13 rifles in one. Security is a bit of an issue, but I reinforce mine by drilling holes and using heavy duty rivets and hasps with bolt cutter proof padlocks, then I bolt the safes together and to either the wall or floor. If you're worried about fire.... surround them with, or put them in a closet lined with fire board. Myself i'm a safety nut around the house and take every precaution when it comes to electrical and fire hazards.
This is best for people like myself with cheap milsurp rifles but not the cash or room for heavy duty safes. I use a cabinet for my Mosin Nagants, one for my Mauser types, one for scoped rifles, etc. You can use them for pistols too if you get creative and add some shelves inside. One sheet of peg board in the back of one for hanging pistols on with enough room left over to put a few rifles and shotguns on the sides. I stick a magnetic Tap Light to the ceiling of mine to make seeing inside easy.
As for ammo, I have a place under my gun bench where I store cases and ammo cans. I framed it in with heavy gauge steel mesh and wood and its locked up tight. Mass laws require ammo to be stored seperately from firearms so keeping them in the same safe is a no no.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Mass laws require ammo to be stored seperately from firearms so keeping them in the same safe is a no no.

Could you please provide a citation in MGL or CMR on this?

I've read this a number of times, but have never found this to be in any law/reg. I might have missed it, but I think that it is likely a "grandmother's tale".

CMRs do require that ammo be locked up at all times, but that's as far as it goes to the best of my knowledge.

LenS said:
Could you please provide a citation in MGL or CMR on this?

I've read this a number of times, but have never found this to be in any law/reg. I might have missed it, but I think that it is likely a "grandmother's tale".

CMRs do require that ammo be locked up at all times, but that's as far as it goes to the best of my knowledge.

I can do some digging when I get home later. I remember reading it in the paper work I got either when I got my LTC in the mail, or when I passed my safety course. I'll look for the paperwork and when I find it i'll post it in the laws section of the forum. I also remember asking a few people about it and getting the same reply saying something along the lines of the combo of ammo and firearms being made readily available to anyone who may breech whatever locked device you store your guns in.
Makes sense because if someone were to ever be stupid or clever enought to get access to my guns, I sure wouldn't want 00 buckshot shells right next to the Mossberg for them to use on me as i'm coming home and walking through the door.

Just remember, when it comes to firearms and ammunition, "makes sense" and "MGL or CMR" tend to be mutually exclusive categories.

Ken

KMaurer said:
how to convert a closet into a vault. ...
Vault door, surrounded by typical drywall construction [laugh]
Let's see...walk around the corner with a utility knife, and then what?
It would only be effective if the other walls were reinforced concrete. Don't forget about the ceiling and floor also.
I'd go with the security chest, it's utility-knife proof.

Anyone try one of those "gun vault safes?

I emailed the company, they are a MA legal device.

Last edited:
How much difference between 12ga, 10ga or 3/16" sides?

Can anyone tell me how much of a difference the side wall thickness makes in a safe? I'm looking to replace my current gunsafe and am trying to decide which sidewall thickness to go with. I was wondering if the 3/16" thickness is worth the extra weight over the 10ga? I think I've pretty much eliminated the 12ga as that's what I have now. It's ok for my small safe, but I do want more protection for the bigger one.
Thanks,
-Cuz.

"Worth the extra weight?" The extra weight of a 3/16" wall is a benefit, not a drawback.

Sure, it's a benefit from a security perspective. But I'm wondering how I would get it up to a 2nd floor of my house, or if that much weight would do damage to the floorboards, etc. Plus, there is significant extra cost for the safe, plus delivery. Everything is a trade-off. Currently I am thinking 10ga will be adequate.
-Cuz.

You can get through a 10 or 12ga steel wall with an axe and a pry-bar.

Sure, and with an extra 10 minutes you would also be inside a 3/16" walled safe as well. Bottom line is if it's not "TL" rated then it's just to keep out your kids and their friends as well as the local junkie looking to score quick cash for his next "fix".

Vault door, surrounded by typical drywall construction [laugh]
Let's see...walk around the corner with a utility knife, and then what?
It would only be effective if the other walls were reinforced concrete. Don't forget about the ceiling and floor also.
I'd go with the security chest, it's utility-knife proof.

Yeah, it would have been dumb if that's all they did. Of course, they didn't simply stop with a new door.

Ken

Can anyone tell me how much of a difference the side wall thickness makes in a safe? I'm looking to replace my current gunsafe and am trying to decide which sidewall thickness to go with. I was wondering if the 3/16" thickness is worth the extra weight over the 10ga? I think I've pretty much eliminated the 12ga as that's what I have now. It's ok for my small safe, but I do want more protection for the bigger one.
Thanks,
-Cuz.

The thicker the steel is the harder it is going to be to get into the safe. You can drill thru steel of any thickness with the right tools and enough time - so in the end if the right person wants to get in they are going to. If it was me I would get the most secure safe I can afford and physically move to the spot where you want to keep it - and then I would hide the safe as best I could somehow - either disguise it - build it into a false wall, put it in a closet behind a bunch of clothes - whatever. After all - if they can't find it - they can't break into it.

My house is in the middle of getting renovated - and I have already figured out a good spot in the house where I can build in a secret closet - and it will be very hard for somebody who doesn't have very good spatial perception to figure out that this closet would even be there. That is where the safe(s) will go eventually.

My house is in the middle of getting renovated - and I have already figured out a good spot in the house where I can build in a secret closet - and it will be very hard for somebody who doesn't have very good spatial perception to figure out that this closet would even be there. That is where the safe(s) will go eventually.
Since it wil be very hard to sanitize your house of "gun stuff", I suggest you get a cheap Homak or Stack-on cabinet for a cheap gun and leave this unhidden so miscreants don't keep looking for where you keep your stuff.

I wish i could remember where I saw it, but a few years ago on one hunting show or other they had folks that would send in pics of stuff that they had built dealing with hunting, fishing etc. This one guy sent in a picture of a gunsafe that he had built himself. Cool thing about it was, is that he built a corner safe. The safe itself was triangular and he had it bolted into a corner in his closet, he painted it white, and a couple of the pictures he sent you could barely even see the thing. They said on the show that the guy was going to start building them for sale, wonder if he has a website?

got one at Dick's and am happy

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...702353&parentPage=search&searchId=21122192701

I bought this one above at Dick's and am very happy with it. I got mine at the Natick store and they had a specific flyer in store for the Outdoors department that saved me $100 taking it form $599 to $499. I bought mine about this time last year so you might want to ask and see if a sale is coming. For the capacity, fire proof, and features I thought it was the best deal-looked at 2-3 others at same or greater price and they were not fire-proof.

They even had 4 guys come out to help me put it in my truck-I never lifted a finger.

All in all I am happy.........I have not had anyone try to crack it :) But it seems like a solid safe

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...702353&parentPage=search&searchId=21122192701

I bought this one above at Dick's and am very happy with it. I got mine at the Natick store and they had a specific flyer in store for the Outdoors department that saved me $100 taking it form $599 to $499. I bought mine about this time last year so you might want to ask and see if a sale is coming. For the capacity, fire proof, and features I thought it was the best deal-looked at 2-3 others at same or greater price and they were not fire-proof.

They even had 4 guys come out to help me put it in my truck-I never lifted a finger.

All in all I am happy.........I have not had anyone try to crack it :) But it seems like a solid safe

Their ad is wrong about the sales tax: "Remember, no sales tax except in CA,
GA, KY, MA and PA."

Back
Top Bottom