• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safes

MGL makes gun safes and gun locks sales-tax-free!

YMMV when dealing with local merchants who are unaware of MGLs and DOR TIRs however (like my horror story with Law Enforcement Supply in Waltham).

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=dorterm...content&f=dor_rul_reg_tir_tir_99_19&csid=Ador
B. Sales of commercial gun safes and trigger lock devices
The Act creates a new sales and use tax exemption for commercial gun safes and trigger lock devices. St. 1999, c. 127, § 92 (to be codified at G.L. c. 64H, § 6 (rr)). This provision will apply to sales on or after January 1, 2000. St. 1999, c. 127, § 383.

Likewise, I've also been forced to pay MA Sales Tax on US Flags at two different stores (Wal-Mart and Grossman's Bargain Center) due to arrogance and ignorance respectively.

I'm currently in the market for a small handgun safe, I want it to be secure but I live in a small apartment and I don't have alot to spend. Should I just go with a lockable cabinet for now or are there decent handgun safes out there that won't break the bank?

It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for something that will prevent someone from stealing your gun, you need a big one bolted to the floor as little ones are easily stolen.

If you're just looking for something to prevent someone from opening it and accidentally shooting themselves (or to comply with MGL storage requirements), Stack-On's handgun safes (not cabinets, safes) are pretty good. I would still bolt them to something big and heavy.

Just keep in mind the value of your collection when buying a safe. I have two safes but i also have pieces that are worth more than the combined cost of the safes (you know what happens when you add accessories to an already expensive firearm).

Champion Challenger CH-50 @ 1150 lbs. that i use for firearms and magazine storage but it is at capacity

Champion Victory V-25 @ 775 lbs. that i use for ammo and accessory storage and maybe firearms soon.

I bough the V-25 about 8 years ago and it was soon to capacity so i was spilling over to stack ons for my cheap stuff. Goes to show get the biggest you can afford or you will end up buying two. I think it cost me about $1800.00 delivered in place by Eastern Security Safe Company in Mendon, MA they deal in all varieties of safes and use motorized dollies and reinforce your floor with thick plywood sheets when they bring it in. They unwrap it put it in location after checking to make sure the floor will support it and level it before making sure you know how to operate it. Then they take all of the trash away when they leave. Point of note they never see your combo it is sealed in an envelope from the factory. They explain to you how to open it and turn their backs while you try it several times to make sure it works.I think the delivery was well worth it. But if you have to you can pick it up yourself or do curbside delivery.

I got the CH-25 earlier this year off a friend of mine who upgraded and i got a good deal on it, but it sells for about $2825.00 for in home delivery. Though it to came from Eastern Security Safe Company i opted to move it myself (with the help of four friends and allot of rigging gear of course) instead of paying them to move it again i think they quoted $800-$900 for the move. The Champion line is not as pretty as the Victory line but the security features are about the same. It was definitely dangerous to move by ourselves but we took our time and tried to keep safety in mind.

Since this is the "official" safe thread, and it has a sticky, I thought I'd pass on a couple tips regarding how I completed the installation of the safe I got for a birthday present earlier this year.

First, since it's in the basement, and I was concerned about potential for a burst pipe and flooding, I wanted the safe up on 4x4 timbers. I took some measurements and fastened two pressure-treated 4x4s onto the concrete floor by drilling 1/2" holes to a depth of about 3" and using concrete wedge anchors like this:

trubolt200.gif

I started by using a drill press to drill the 1/2" holes in the 4x4s, then I used a 1" forstner bit to widen the upper portion of the holes to allow the anchor nut and washer to be recessed below the top surface of the 4x4. I located the position of the holes in the floor by positioning the 4x4, running a 1/2" masonry bit down through the drilled hole, completing one hole, using the anchor to hold the 4x4 in position, then repeating the process for the other holes in each 4x4. After the 4x4s were anchored to the floor, I muscled the safe into position, drilled pilot holes, and bolted it down to the 4x4 timbers with 4 3" lag bolts. Of course, I was careful to position the anchor bolt holes sufficiently far away from the lag bolts. I positioned the safe with about 4" of space between the safe and the back wall of the basement.

The other thing I wanted was a decent door light. At the safe dealer in Mendon they wanted $250 for the option of an installed light system. I figured I could save some of that money. I started by cutting an extension cord to length and running it into the safe, then soldering and splicing the three-outlet female end back on inside the safe. Shrink tubing, etc. Now I have a source of 120 V AC inside the safe, instead of just a simple dehumidifier/heater. I picked up some nice rope lighting at Lowes, the stuff with white lights inside a 10' length of clear flexible sealed tubing. If I want more light I can simply add more lengths. It comes with clips that I was able to screw into the interior panels of the safe, and I routed against the inside of the door frame so you don't really see the source of the illumination when you open the safe.

The tricky part was the switch. I guess I could've just left the light plugged in all the time, but that's a lot more heat than is really needed to keep the safe dry. I headed over to You-Do-It Electronics off Rt. 128 in Needham and bought the following parts:
  • A normally-open magnetic switch used in window alarm systems (Calrad Electronics part no. 40-657);
    40-657.jpg

• A 10-amp AC and DC relay (NTE part no. R14-11D10-12); and
    R14.jpg

• An 8-pin rail mount socket for the relay
    R95-121.jpg

• I also found an old 12V power supply around the house so I saved a few bucks not having to buy one.

The magnetic switch worked perfectly, after I figured out that I bought a normally open model but all their product was mislabeled and was in fact normally closed. The relay is needed because the magnetic switch can't handle much power. So I took the 12V DC from the power supply and wired it in series to the coil end of the relay (pins 7 and 8). Then I took the 120V AC feed and wired it to pins 5 and 6 of the relay, and wired the light to pins 1 and 2. I experimented a little bit with the position of the magnetic switch on the bottom of the door so that it turns the light on after I have the door open a little bit. I used double-sided tape to position the switch but will drill and tap the steel door and frame for final mounting. I also need to clean up the wiring and tidy things up.

I'll post up some pics when I have it completed.

I was looking into buying one of the $500 stack-on safes. I called and emailed stack-on asking them about the interior dimensions on their safes. I went back and forth with them, they kept giving me the external dimensions, finally I got this and I quote "WE DO NOT HAVE THE INSIDE DIMENSIONS". How do you manufacture and sell a product but are unable to tell a potential customer what the dimensions are on the product? I don't understand how a company is unable to tell you the specs on their own product. Does anyone own one of these http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2511914&cp=702353&pg=2&parentPage=family&searchId=2292572 how are they for space on the inside

Point of note they never see your combo it is sealed in an envelope from the factory.
If you insist, Eastern Security will give you the combination change key if you get a mechanical lock or will set the combination for you to your choice and yes, they keep the combinations on file. The last I checked, the electronic locks they sell have a non-resettable control combination (different for each lock).

I recently bought 2 sentry safes from walmart for right around 300.00 each.
Both were carpeted inside and have the pushbutton combo lock (which I wanted)
These were model G7311 14 gun safes with top shelf, very nice for the money with 5 1 inch locking bolts etc....

I also have a liberty safe I bought from Eastern, they are great to deal with.

Stack on also builds a "gold series" safe which I have one of but it's gaudy maroon with gold trim ......can you say "pimp" !
It is on the same par as the sentry models as far as quality.

The Walmart safes are by far the best deals I have found

What about a safe from Dakota Safe Company? I got mine at Eastern Safe And Security (West Springfield). It's a 527LB take down gunsafe. I paid like $850 for it. I had to have a take down safe due to the fact that I'll move a couple more time before I'm out of the service.

I need a new large safe, larger than the previous one. (They don't really hold anywhere near as many long guns as they claim, unless you like them scraping each other, and you don't have a dehumidifier rod in the way of some of them.)

Are there any current good deals on safes on the north side of Boston, from some place that'll also deliver them? A reasonable delivery service is a must... I have no way of getting one home by myself. If they can get it just inside the walk-out basement door, I'm usually all set from there and can move it around myself with a hand truck.

I wouldn't trust that one eitherr.

Prepper, gun safes aren't usually the sort of thing that get discounted on sale often. I think Dick's will deliver them, but you'll usually be looking at a minimum of $100 just to deliver from any dealer, more if you want them to get it inside the house.

They may not be discounted but they do vary quite a bit in price. Four Seasons costs about $200 less than a local hardware store that delivers, except that Four Seasons won't deliver. Otherwise, I'd be happy with whatever delivery costs that FS would charge.

Home Depot often has "executive" safes available. I personally think that Dicks is probably your best bet as most gun stores don't deliver.

I was at Lowe's picking up some assorted supplies and noticed a safe marked at $329. It isn't huge and "looks" more like a locker than a safe, but it still stands about 5' high and is large enough for a few rifles and some pistols.

Of course, it's not a gun safe. It is an "Executive" safe.

A lot of "Executive" safes seem to come with several little cradles to lean a rifle barrel into.

Just found this amusing for some reason. I'm sure the nearby "Lowe's Associate" had no idea why I started laughing when I looked in the safe.

More practically, if someone needs a mid sized safe, check it out. They'll have a hard time denying it's a gun safe... (for the sales tax)

any use GUNVAULT safes? I've been looking into them and they seem to be in my ballpark. I like how they are quick-access. I may be looking to get two if they turn out to be good. Big one for everything and a smaller one to keep a handgun around in.

Paul, yes, but delivered to the bottom of your driveway!!

I call that an uphill battle for many of us where our houses are higher than the street and 50-100' or more from said street. Not to mention that who wants to advertise to passing cars that you have a huge gun safe going into your house??

I was sorely tempted but the delivery makes it impractical and a "security breach", so I've chosen to "pass".

Well, if it comes in a box or wrap or something, then you can just use a hand truck and wheel your new refrigerator right in.

wheeling it on a hand truck is no problem, I used to do that on a daily basis at my job (although that was 450 pounds of chicken and french fries, not steel, at a time), but yes, if you're putting it in the basement, that would be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom