• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun case recommendations?

je25ff

NES Member
I need to replace a couple of mine and looking for recommendations. $100 to $200 range.

I need to replace a couple of mine and looking for recommendations. $100 to $200 range.
Next time, try being a little more specific. Ask something like “I need a new dohicky, anyone got any recommendations?” That would provide us with a lot more info and allow for a much better response. Seriously? WTF??
Shit, now I sound like Scrivener! Remember him?

Next time, try being a little more specific. Ask something like “I need a new dohicky, anyone got any recommendations?” That would provide us with a lot more info and allow for a much better response. Seriously? WTF??
Shit, now I sound like Scrivener! Remember him?

My fault. Rifle/Shotgun.

Hard case or soft case?

I used to be a hard case only person, but have realized the older I get those cases get awfully heavy to just go back and forth to the range.

For traveling, that's a different situation, and a high quality hard case is the only option.

For back and forth to the range either a very light weight hard case or a soft case are my preferences now.

All that said, the Harbor Freight Apache 9800 is an overall nice case quality for the money.
Wait until a sale or coupon which can bring the price down around to $100

For serious travel where someone other than myself is handling case, I use a Pelican. ( Air or rail or ….). One trick I learned is to remove the center foam piece ( section cut to outline of rifle) and pack rifle in a padded softcase in the pelican case. Then you have soft case for use at destination

For most activities Pelican is heavier than I want or need. Then I go with soft cases. Last two that I purchased that I like came from Cabelas in Berlin. I’d have to look up make, but they had one that was large enough to handle my 24” barrel hunting rifle with larger scope with sun shade on it. Then another even larger that will handle my PRS rifle, (26” barrel with another few inches added for brake, with a large scope).

Both are well padded, exterior pockets, detachable shoulder - carry straps. Have held up well for three years (range trips, hunting trips). Smaller one has maybe 20 days hunting per year with a few miles out and back in bed of UTV daily in all types of weather, then another 1/2 mile slung on back. All the zippers holding up well

Edit: just checked the soft cases I got from Cabellas, both are Cabellas brand. Smaller one has Cabellas name in Yellow stitching. The larger one has the Cabellas logo stitched on but a more subtle black on black.

Last edited:

Harbor Freight has really stepped up their game.

If it was someone else’s money, Pelican. But if it’s my money, lid look hard at Harbor Freight, it’s probably 90% as good at a fraction of the price.

Hard case or soft case?

I used to be a hard case only person, but have realized the older I get those cases get awfully heavy to just go back and forth to the range.

For traveling, that's a different situation, and a high quality hard case is the only option.

For back and forth to the range either a very light weight hard case or a soft case are my preferences now.

All that said, the Harbor Freight Apache 9800 is an overall nice case quality for the money.
This is so true. I originally went and got all Storm wheel long gun cases that hold 1, 2, and even 4 guns. Guess what, they weigh up to 25 lbs with just the foam in them. They are great for traveling, but WAY too heavy for an everyday range trip. I ended up buying a bunch of soft cases from MidwayUSA like this one:

They had them in all sizes, and they were all under $30. Another thing to consider is to get different colors so your gun case looks a little different than everyone elses at the range. Makes it easier to find when a bunch are on a table at a match, etc. I only use soft cases now, and the zippers will easily fit a small padlock to "secure" the firearm during transport...

Hard case or soft case?

I'd prefer a hard case for the security and all around utility for travel and durability.

Back
Top Bottom