Scope recommendations for .308

lol, well that is certainly better shooting than anything I can do regardless of the rifle and scope combo I am using, so congrats.
But, that is in the barn door size category of targets and it would require an entirely different scope to hit a postage stamp at that distance.

It’s hard to choose a scope until you know what you want to do with it…

First time I’ve heard of 1 MOA being called barn door sized.

Which Steiner? I just mounted mine today (Steiner T6Xi 2.5-15x50)

View attachment 874198
Nice. Steiner makes decent scopes, and have a no BS lifetime warranty. Can’t go wrong there.

My .308 has a 1-8x on it, but I’m trying to decide if I should move that to my AR, and put a Burris 3-18x on the 308.

But of course, this is definitely “steel-clanger” mentality all the way.

Nice. Steiner makes decent scopes, and have a no BS lifetime warranty. Can’t go wrong there.

My .308 has a 1-8x on it, but I’m trying to decide if I should move that to my AR, and put a Burris 3-18x on the 308.

But of course, this is definitely “steel-clanger” mentality all the way.
I wasn’t really in the market for a Steiner, but Primary Arms had a deal so good I couldn’t pass it up. I also like that it has a usable 2.5x. Freshly zeroed, now I just need to figure out how to adjust the turrets and I can give my review as a novice magnified optic user.

Ok rifle it on the way. Might arrive Tuesday if all goes well or at the latest Saturday (hopefully).

What is my purpose with this rifle? The chances I'll be hunting with it are low. That really isn't my thing and I live in MA. It will mainly be for target shooting. What is my goal with it? That is hard to say. As it stands now 200 yards is the longest I have easy access to. I envision myself shooting ant sized targets at 200 yards but in reality I'll be happy with getting good tightish groups at that range. I won't be satisfied with just clanging torso sized steel.

I am also not in lala land here. I realize that this rifle is not a precision rifle with all the fine fancy adjustments one can make to the gun. It is a bolt action that I can make some adjustments to. Out of the entire package I will be the weakest link at the beginning.

As it stands now I have two scopes I'm leaning to. One reason from what has been suggested here and the other is I can get them locally. Both are Vortex.

The cheaper of the two is the Diamondback Tactical. I can get that in 4-16x or 6x24x. Both are available.

The more expensive scope is Vortex Viper PST FFP in 5-25x. It is more then double the price of the other one. I know of two places I can get this.

Do I want to spend double? No but if it is going to serve me better I am ok with it.

I am also open to other suggestions.

Thanks

There is better glass than vortex. Vortex is overrated, there are other scope companies with similar warranties if that is a concern.

There is better glass than vortex. Vortex is overrated, there are other scope companies with similar warranties if that is a concern.

I think these are subjective to the user. I have two rifles with Vortex Vipers and they work great. Is it the same glass and clarity with my Nightforce ATACR, no and I wouldn’t expect it to be. I find the Vortex glass to be similar to my Leupold MK4 scope.

I do realize there is better stuff out there. I'm trying to stay around $1000 max and be able to source locally if possible. If you have some suggestions that would be great.
That is a little above what I want to spend right now. I'm not saying I wont go there but I'd like not to. Thanks!

No matter what scope you choose, you can always "do better". The important question is, how much better does it REALLY need to be, and how much does that cost?
The OP says he's going to be shooting targets at 200 yards. Spend a hundred (or a few hundred) bucks on something that looks good, and then go have fun. If at some time, you need more, go buy it.

Last edited:
I do realize there is better stuff out there. I'm trying to stay around $1000 max and be able to source locally if possible. If you have some suggestions that would be great.

That is a little above what I want to spend right now. I'm not saying I wont go there but I'd like not to. Thanks!
Have you actually test driven any scopes?
Looked at some different reticles to see which ones appealed to you?
Compared Ffp vs sfp models to see which you prefer? Compared different magnifications to see what range you prefer? If you haven’t, then I reiterate what I said earlier in that your first scope purchase will almost certainly be the wrong one, so go cheap. If you’d like to compare some various scopes out on the range and don’t mind driving to do it, shoot me a PM. I have a decent variety you can try. I pretty much suck shooting scopes, but that doesn’t stop me from buying them. I have from 1-6x models up to 5.5-30x models of various rifles.

Have you actually test driven any scopes?
Looked at some different reticles to see which ones appealed to you?
Compared Ffp vs sfp models to see which you prefer? Compared different magnifications to see what range you prefer? If you haven’t, then I reiterate what I said earlier in that your first scope purchase will almost certainly be the wrong one, so go cheap. If you’d like to compare some various scopes out on the range and don’t mind driving to do it, shoot me a PM. I have a decent variety you can try. I pretty much suck shooting scopes, but that doesn’t stop me from buying them. I have from 1-6x models up to 5.5-30x models of various rifles.

I have not test driven any scopes for this gun yet. It has all come together within the last week so I haven't had much free time yet.

I have two scoped firearms. One is a Ruger 10/22 with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x 40mm. I like this scope. I find it has been pretty accurate once I zeroed it in. For $90 I can't complain. My other is a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag. I have a Burris Handgun scope that is 2-7x 32mm. I do not like this scope. Not enough eye relief. It needs to be doubled. At minimum magnification if I hold it just right at arms length I can see ok. At max it is not usable.

I may take you up on your offer depending on how far away you are. I'll toss you a PM in a bit.

Ya know, as I re-read through this post, it occurs to me that you said you don’t really know how to shoot a rifle, and let’s say it will take you about 1,000 rounds of ammo to properly learn how to shoot a rifle. At over $1 per round for decent 308 ammo, that’s over $1,000 just to learn how to shoot a scoped rifle properly.

Here’s a thought, buy yourself a $500 bolt action .22 rimfire rifle, or even a semi-auto, and a case of 5,000 rounds of decent quality CCI type rimfire ammo and have fun learning to shoot a scoped rifle. The rimfire rifle and ammo will cost less than the 308 ammo and it will be way more pleasant to shoot. You can practice at much shorter distances from 25-100 yards, and if you choose properly, the scope you buy will work perfectly on the rimfire, and then also on the 308.

When you’re done, you’ll know how to shoot a scoped rifle, will have learned a LOT about rifle shooting and scopes, and will have a nice rimfire rifle to play with, or introduce others to the sport of shooting without all the noise and recoil of a 308 rifle. And you will have saved a decent amount of money.

Just a thought…

Ya know, as I re-read through this post, it occurs to me that you said you don’t really know how to shoot a rifle, and let’s say it will take you about 1,000 rounds of ammo to properly learn how to shoot a rifle. At over $1 per round for decent 308 ammo, that’s over $1,000 just to learn how to shoot a scoped rifle properly.

Here’s a thought, buy yourself a $500 bolt action .22 rimfire rifle, or even a semi-auto, and a case of 5,000 rounds of decent quality CCI type rimfire ammo and have fun learning to shoot a scoped rifle. The rimfire rifle and ammo will cost less than the 308 ammo and it will be way more pleasant to shoot. You can practice at much shorter distances from 25-100 yards, and if you choose properly, the scope you buy will work perfectly on the rimfire, and then also on the 308.

When you’re done, you’ll know how to shoot a scoped rifle, will have learned a LOT about rifle shooting and scopes, and will have a nice rimfire rifle to play with, or introduce others to the sport of shooting without all the noise and recoil of a 308 rifle. And you will have saved a decent amount of money.

Just a thought…

While there is some truth to this it is not entire accurate. I can shoot my rifles. I can also use more practice. I am open to learning and advice in that aspect but that is for a different thread.

As I mentioned a couple of posts up, I do have a Ruger 10/22. It is scoped with a Bushnell 3-9x 40mm scope. It comes to the range with me almost every time. One of my favorites. I also have 3 other .22 rifles. All are iron sights. I have a Henry Youth which is a fun plinker. Mossberg 44 which is a bolt action. This was handed down to me a few years ago. A bit awkward for me to shoot since I'm left handed and it is missing its magazine. It does shoot well once it gets warmed up. Slightly sticky firing pin. Recently I was given a Remington Nylon 66. I have not tried this one yet. Haven't been to the range since I acquired it. Maybe this weekend if time allows.

I would be ok without a scope on the new rifle but it doesn't have any iron sights. Just a rail to mount an optic thus the reason for this thread.

Yes. The handle can be swapped from side to side in a minute with something like a 1/8 inch headphone jack to push a pin in. It always extracts to the right.
That’s cool, so it’s actually ambidextrous which helps down the road if you ever want to get rid of it. I got a lefty only bolt action precision rimfire, so my kids won’t be too interested in it when I pass it on to them, and resale value will suffer, but I am definitely enjoying it.
Good luck with it.

I believe I got that same scope with a different reticle for $750 two years ago. Mine is a little different but they usually have great closeout pricing on older scopes.

Last edited:
The Arken 4-16 is a nice option at a very reasonable price. It’s big and heavy but it’s decent glass and a good reticle. For my type of shooting, basketball size targets out to 600 yards, it’s great.

The more expensive scope is Vortex Viper PST FFP in 5-25x. It is more then double the price of the other one. I know of two places I can get this.

The PST is a lot better glass. I’d be more happy with it. 5-25 sounds like way overkill for magnification unless you’re really trying to shoot extreme precision at that range. But if that’s your only option then it will be fine. Not that there’s anything wrong with that level of overkill, it’s just that usually you can find less expensive scopes with lower magnification or similarly expensive but better glass

Back
Top Bottom