Gun license & DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Wakefield case where the Dentist sued the Town and then C.O.P. for not issuing after a R.O. was vacated established that even a vacated R.O. is reason for denial of a LTC.
The Wakefield chief used the logic that a "non-temporary" RO is only granted after a hearing at which the subject can defend himself, and that continuance of the RO represents a judicial finding that the person is a threat, and the vacating of the order does not erase the fact that the court had indeed found the person to be a threat.

This would be sound logic IF RO hearings were "beyond a reasonable doubt" objective findings that someone is indeed a threat, but that is not how they work.

The district court upheld the chief's decision.

So I just finished a fire arms training course & I went to apply for a gun license and the cop at Lowell station saw that I had a DUI from 12 years ago and told me to not even bother to applying because it was a waste of money and would be denied . I decided to not move forward at that moment. Any suggestions moving forward on how to get a license ?
There's a lot going on in this thread but maybe try FID card and black powder route at least for now? IANAL so what do I know...

We have common sense guidelines here in NH. If you're good with the Feds, it's all good with us, this includes MGs and suppressors. Now if we can just get the Fed NFA laws removed.
True, and the felonies that are not federal disqualifiers are not NH disqualifiers either, but are MA disqualifiers.

We have common sense guidelines here in NH. If you're good with the Feds, it's all good with us, this includes MGs and suppressors. Now if we can just get the Fed NFA laws removed.

Clearly you are unsuitable.

Ya actually like I linked to, NH goes a step further - "and if it's not a felony by our law".. doesn't clear one by the feds but at least NH understands there is bullshit that exists on paper elsewhere.

Reactions: 42!
There's a lot going on in this thread but maybe try FID card and black powder route at least for now? IANAL so what do I know...

I agree, in that status as a MA resident that is the route to take for shooting sports. Bows are fun too.

BUT keep in mind, although for a DUI you should (eventually if somehow prosecuted) technically clear any "deadly weapon" concerns in NH based on the exception I was speaking of, if the > 2 year crime was something NH sees as a felony, crossing into NH with a bow or black powder rifle would the NH equivalent of having a modern firearm in mass as a pp. In NH they are both more and less strict about PP's depending on the specific situation. A NH PP is allowed no weapons of any type.

Reactions: GML
I personally think it's insane that a single DUi disqualifies you..I live in Mass now but from CT where growing up I knew more then a few people who got DUIs and got pistol permits with no questions asked...they disclosed of course...is it normal what massachusetts does with dui?

I personally think it's insane that a single DUi disqualifies you..I live in Mass now but from CT where growing up I knew more then a few people who got DUIs and got pistol permits with no questions asked...they disclosed of course...is it normal what massachusetts does with dui?
No, it's not normal...it's MA

I'm confused. Can you show me where in the constitution in the second amendment it says you have a right to keep and bear arms provided your ltc applicant has record as a clean as a piece of paper if they have a past dui?

Your such a hater of the constitution its pathetic.

Honestly, it's pretty hard to get offended by someone who writes that.
Did you skip elementary school? The constitution was written in 1787. Cars weren't even invented until the late 1800's.................Do you see where I'm going with this "whacko".....

So let’s run a different situation past you, because you seem to only see life in pure black and white.

Guy gets out of work an hour early after a long week, stops at the bar to have A drink with an old buddy before heading home to the family for dinner.

Halfway thru that drink he gets a call from his wife, kids were rough housing and one of them needs stitches, he’ll be fine but have to go to the ER.

Guy tells his buddy hey sorry man, family emergency I gotta split. As he’s pulling out of the bar he gets blindsided by an illegal hauling ass down the road in his suped up lawnmower sounding shitbox. Cars are wrecked, illegal is hurt and I no speak English.

Rookie cop shows up, see’s wrecked cars, sees injured person, calls whambulance and then smells alcohol on said family guys breath. Half a drink. If that. But he just left the bar 1min prior so the smell is fresh enough to seem strong.

There’s a 99.9% chance he’s getting silver bracelets from this young inexperienced cop (or even an older just an a**h*** type cop because his coffee break was interrupted) instead of going to meet his family at the hospital. Now what if he’s so pissed off right now because he knows he did nothing wrong that he refuses any field sobriety tests or breathalyzer, now he’s automatically lost his license for 180 days for refusing, and later has a very high chance of also being made a PP for life. And for what?

Does that seem fair to you? What happens to the shitbird illegal who was driving without a lic, no ins, and unregistered? Not a f***ing thing because he has 6 aliases and nobody can find him, homie don’t care. He’s already got another beater. What happens to the cop who didn’t do his due diligence at the scene and failed to use any discretion or sound judgment and just saw the world like you do? Nothing. He’s already back out there f***ing something else up. So the only person who got f***ed here is the guy that’s completely innocent.

My point here is that nothing is ever just black and white. And when you’re talking about a persons constitutional rights being stripped for his entire life, then it should never be a simple black and white, right or wrong answer.

You really should rethink how you see the world before you become a victim of your own cynicism one day. Every single human being in this world has faults, punishing them for an entire lifetime for a situation with no or even minor injuries is just flat out wrong.

There but for the Grace of God go I.

Lmfao I lost so many brain cells reading this I stopped reading halfway through

Moving out of MA does nothing for him, on a 4473 he still has to answer that he was found guilty, and a background check is going to result in a denial.

Even if you go to a constitutional carry state like NH, and you could buy private party by lying, saying that you are not a PP, if he ever got jammed up as soon as they ran his name thru NCIC, LEAPS or other database he would be found in violation of the language of the constitutional carry law which says you can not constitutional carry if you are a prohibited person.

I meant literally everyone else.

Reactions: TLB
Did you skip elementary school? The constitution was written in 1787. Cars weren't even invented until the late 1800's.................Do you see where I'm going with this "whacko".....
Yes I see where your going. Going from top 10 freedom hating piece of shit ever on nes to the absolute top of the list.

Last edited:
[laugh2]

Alright the freedom hating commies in this thread are hurting my head. This has run its course. OP, speak with an attorney who knows MA Firearms law and see what your options are, hopefully it works out for you. A DUI should never prevent anyone from defending themselves or their family for the rest of their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom